AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Classic Case - Losing At Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 5
Production 5.5
Creativity 4.75
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 5.75
Final Verdict: 53%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.56
Musicianship 7.06
Lyrics 6.06
Production 6.19
Creativity 4.88
Lasting Value 4.19
Reviewer Tilt 4.44
Average: 56%
Inside AP.net

Classic Case - Losing At Life

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (02/28/07)
Release Date - February 20, 2007
Label - Fearless Records

I need to pick up more staples and index cards at Office Depot. It is time to change the batteries in my smoke detectors. The city council voted on a new ordinance allowing for more bike pathways. Sure, all of the aforementioned actions are dull, but they are like an exhilarating game of laser tag compared to Classic Case’s new album Losing At Life. I couldn’t think of a better way to describe this album than by comparing it to things I despise doing or hearing about. Honestly, I would rather sit in silence and try to move things with my mind than listen to this album again.

Classic Case just might be America’s next mainstream rock band. I do not intend that as a compliment. When I hear Losing At Life, I automatically compare it to the sounds of bands like Nickelback and Hinder. Jared Draughon might have a different voice than the deep, bro-rock drawl that is now dominating the airwaves, but his higher pitched delivery isn’t anything to brag about. The music is basically straightforward rock with simple lyrics and some laughable attempts at slower ballads (“Losing At Life”).

The problem with most of these songs is the lack of a climax or hooks. A song like “Into A Nightmare” has decent guitars and even hints at brilliance, but the lack of a decent chorus ruins the track. “Scott Free” would be great for a graduation party (if you were home-schooled, and your home was a trailer). “Vampires” is obviously a discarded B-Side from My Chemical Romance’s new album. The album’s closer, “All Of Us Are In Danger”, features a vocal solo and horribly discordant guitars. Yes, it’s as bad as you are imagining. I’m all for solo’s but one thing they should do is make you anticipate the rest of the instruments returning. In this case, you just hope the record is over.

Classic Case appear to be lying to themselves. Tracks like “Stalemate (Falling in Love)” and “Unsteady” want to be harder, but the vocals and lack of any breakdown prevent this from happening. The singing is usually the loudest part of these songs, which is strange because Draughon is just not that talented. And so, without wasting any more of your time (too late), I’m going to end this bloodbath and organize my sock drawer. Finally, something fun to do!

Recommended If You Like: Hinder, Matchbox Twenty, store brand soda, My Chemical Romance, Huffing

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
10:27 AM on 03/16/07
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
i highly disagree... i think it is at least a solid release. i really don't get where the nickelback comparison comes from either. and the vocals are actually one of its strengths imo. they are filled with emotion and the singer is mostly spot on. i do agree that some songs are lacking a climax of some sort. but especially the slower songs are just beautiful. and what you might think of as laughable (losing at life), i would call brutally honest and great. i also appreciate the albums diversity, although it seems like the band is still searching for a style of their own. my own score would have been something around 75%.
it kinda sounds like you listened to the record once and didn't give it another chance ("Honestly, I would rather sit in silence and try to move things with my mind than listen to this album again."). but maybe that's just my impression. but i did like your writing style. you put a lot of humor into your review.

btw: what i think is really embarrassing for fearless is the fact, that they got a faulty master, which means that the tracks don't connect seamlessly, as they are supposed to (just something to nitpick about).
10:34 AM on 03/16/07
bitterhalo
User Info.
i disagree as well. the first time i heard this record i thought it was terribly generic and boring. After listening a few more times i really got into it. Sure, it's nothing amazing, but the songs are really well written and the trading off of vocals by jared and josh is pretty awesome. the lyrics aren't that great though, i'll give you that one. But i dunno, i thought it was a pretty solid release.
10:37 AM on 03/16/07
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i completely agree. dress to depress is a million times better than losing at life. it is bland and forgettable.
11:14 AM on 03/16/07
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Maybe I'm a bit partial to this band because it Josh Moore from Beloved (Us) in it, but I am dissapointed that AP.net approved of this review. I actually enjoyed this record and was thrilled to hear Josh's voice again. I really like the song "Elavator Phobia" even though it is simple.
11:17 AM on 03/16/07
Heartcore
singforlove
User Info.
Listen again, this review is way off the mark.
12:07 PM on 03/16/07
Dillonisneat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude...
Not only are you a fucking disrespectful asshole...
You must be somewhat deaf.
Or maybe you forgot to actually listen to the album.
That is pretty important when you write a review.

You should learn how to write a review and not a personal stab at someone.
If you think Jared's vocals are bad show me something better...
Something that's not "Cartel" Pro-tooled up, shitty vocals.
Have you ever seen Classic Case asshole?

Paul McCartney said it best.
"If it's such a horrible song, you write me something better."
12:52 PM on 03/16/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i disagree as well. the first time i heard this record i thought it was terribly generic and boring. After listening a few more times i really got into it. Sure, it's nothing amazing, but the songs are really well written and the trading off of vocals by jared and josh is pretty awesome. the lyrics aren't that great though, i'll give you that one. But i dunno, i thought it was a pretty solid release.

so you think the album is generic, boring and hate the lyrics? But its still a solid release? Sounds like you feel the same way I do.

And to the rest: I did not listen to this album once, twice, or just three times. I gave this the same amount of spins (around 7 or 8) that I give any other album I review. Nothing stood out, nothing made this replayable to me. The Nickleback comparison comes from the fact that Classic Case also writes uninspired music that doesnt try anything new or try to be anything but bland. These guys have talent, and they can do better. This album is just not good, if you disagree, write another review. I would love to read it.
12:57 PM on 03/16/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Maybe I'm a bit partial to this band because it Josh Moore from Beloved (Us) in it, but I am dissapointed that AP.net approved of this review. I actually enjoyed this record and was thrilled to hear Josh's voice again. I really like the song "Elavator Phobia" even though it is simple.

Dissapointed why? Just Because I had an opinion that doesn't match yours, doesnt make it invalid.

Dude...
Not only are you a fucking disrespectful asshole...
You must be somewhat deaf.
Or maybe you forgot to actually listen to the album.
That is pretty important when you write a review.

Paul McCartney said it best.
"If it's such a horrible song, you write me something better."

There are plenty of better vocalists, we both know it. I dont quite get the Cartel reference, I'm fairly certain they were mentioned nowhere in the review. And yes, I did see Classic Case perform. They were at my Bar Mitzvah, and they rocked!

I really appreciate all the hate, at least you guys read it!
Thanks,
Blake
01:07 PM on 03/16/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
Sorry man, but I, too, have to disagree on this one. Its definitely not a great album, but I do think its pretty solid, especially musically. The vocals, yes, are the weakest part. I've give it more like a 70-75%, personally. But I like your writing style and encourage you to keep on writing.
01:33 PM on 03/16/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Its alright, Rob. I appreciate the comments. I think we all have a different idea of what the word "solid" means. Solid and great are usually synonyms to me. But to everyone else, it seems like Solid and Tolerable are synomyms. Everyone disagrees on the review, but then, two sentences later, finds something they agree with me on. hmmmm
04:19 PM on 03/16/07
intoyourarms
here i am
User Info.
although I don't particularly agree with everything you said, classic case could have done a million times better. I'm not exactly sure when mitch left the band but his presence or lack there of completely ruined this album for classic case. Dressed to depress is filled with in your face off kilter rock songs. you can tell that mitch had no part in the songwriting except for maybe a couple songs. no wonder he went to he is legend. they aren't the same live anymore either. this band used to be so good and as soon as they lost him,, bam it seems like everything kosher is now bitter. ive seen the new record already twice live b.c they were playing with house of fools and both times it was sad.
06:31 PM on 03/16/07
Risk The Fall
Risk The Fall
User Info.
It's not a bad album. It's Lostprophets-lite. That's the best way to describe it. It's forgettable, but not intolerable. 'Into A Nightmare' is a strong track.
09:31 PM on 03/16/07
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
Everyone disagrees on the review, but then, two sentences later, finds something they agree with me on. hmmmm

that's because we are fair. of course there are things we can agree on. e.g. that it's not an outstanding record. but then there are other aspects that you are too harsh about. and by solid i mean good. good in a way that it is at least enjoyable. but not great.
10:27 PM on 03/16/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.

cartel's vocals are 98% pro-tool free, just so you know.

if you disagree, write another review. I would love to read it.
hahaha.

great review, blake. i liked it as much as the first time i read it .
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests