AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
House of Fools - Live and Learn Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

House of Fools - Live and Learn

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (02/28/07)
House of Fools - Live and Learn
Released March 6th, 2007
Drive-Thru Records

Though second-guessing was extensive when I first jumped into Live and Learn, it soon become strikingly blatant that House of Fools is so subtly brilliant that it’s a wonder this band hasn’t made it further than they have. First impressions hardly grasp the finer points of the album, so I’m glad I came back to Fools’s debut as quickly as I did. Hailing from North Carolina, this sextet is just one of those bands that really doesn’t need much explanation. Rhythmically solid collectivity and well orchestrated country-influenced pop cadence flow through all fourteen tracks exceptionally, only stumbling on a few tracks here and there. It’s no wonder they were confidently scooped up by Drive-Thru and have been on “Look Out For…” lists ever since. With the release of their incredible debut, Live and Learn, expect a scene of fools for House of Fools real soon.

With a couple songs still lingering on the debut that date back to the band’s self-titled EP (“My Life Before Today”, “Kiss the Haze”), we get a chance to sample both the old and the new. But the tracks we’re still rocking from the EP hold their charm and are in fact some of the best songs on Live and Learn. “Kiss the Haze” is undeniably the highlight of the album’s first half simply because its completely unique sound and best example of that collectivity I spoke of earlier. If it’s not bassist Jeff Linn’s irreplaceable arpeggio-based grooves fronting drummer Phil Bell’s one-two beat, its Matt Bowers’s organ-like keyboard tone backing vocalist Josh King’s lively chorus lead.

And as I witness this perfect soundtrack to warm Southern days, so graciously peppered with hints of The Beatles and The Format, nothing so delightful could be led by any better than the former mentioned frontman. Josh King’s freshly reserved vocals rarely miss a beat, and the rest of the band is staunch to propel King’s vocal style to new heights. Lyrically, Drive-Thru aptly describes them as “open-hearted”. Though standard, if not cliché, biography terminology, it really undermines King’s lyrical range.

Diving like a bird/I picked the blue out of your eyes/Hijack a plane to France/If we could watch the moon/Dance across the street into a bar/I would never leave/But I know I’ll have to go sometime/You’re hold on me is stronger than the alcohol/That is slowly killing me.

The second half of the album lacks the energy of the first seven songs, but more down-to-earth tracks such as “Better Part of Me” and “Coke and Smoke” makes up for the fact there are uncharacteristically slower-tempo, etc. songs finishing off the album. I mean, songs like “I Heard a Rumor” are just painful, considering the fantastic formula the band established previously. However, the title-track album closer, “Live and Learn”, finishes the album off nicely with a pleasing piano based jive to jam-band outro.

Though I find myself less and less interested in the going-ons of Drive-Thru Records, House of Fools has the label once again part of my life with one of my favorite releases for 2007 thus far. Live and Learn is a feel-good rock album that experiments with engaging folk elements; evening out to a thoroughly good debut from quite a promising collective. Though a couple of songs included were previously released, there’s no reason why one who even had a slight interest in the EP should pass up this beauty. Live and Learn is gorgeous.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
09:13 PM on 02/28/07
intoyourarms
here i am
User Info.
i couldnt agree more. you gotta see em live to really appreciate this band though.
09:43 PM on 02/28/07
BN3131
User Info.
i really like everything i've heard from hof. they are very talented and easy to listen to. good review.
04:22 AM on 03/01/07
insertwithere
User Info.
i'm not really a huge fan of this band or record......but they are insanely talented and tight live
05:20 AM on 03/01/07
dbarker02
forever changes
User Info.
Excellent musicians, mediocre lyrics. But I think it would be much more simple to compare them to classic rock (The Eagles, etc.) instead of saying they're influenced by something as vague as country or folk-rock.
06:00 AM on 03/01/07
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
User Info.
Can't wait for tuesday
07:06 AM on 03/01/07
bpopowitz
User Info.
very good review. this band is living up to all the buzz around them. sounds like a stellar album.
07:20 AM on 03/01/07
DJosef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Apparently they're touring with Piebald in April. I'm VERY excited to see them again. Great record.
07:51 AM on 03/01/07
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
Already preordered!
I can't wait to get this.
08:26 AM on 03/01/07
drivethruaz
One badass bro
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is gonna be good
Cant wait to get my preorder
08:55 AM on 03/01/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
good review. i was skeptical until I heard some new songs, they are very good at what they do.
09:35 AM on 03/01/07
elscorchette
current addiction: rock band
User Info.
i couldnt agree more. you gotta see em live to really appreciate this band though.
definitely
10:01 AM on 03/01/07
Chevy114
User Info.
I have heard great things about these guys since they signed and the ep didn't let down. So I have no reason to doubt anything said in this review and will pick it up the day it comes out!
10:45 AM on 03/01/07
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
good review.
I'm excited to see them on the 20th with The Dear Hunter and Olympia
11:34 AM on 03/01/07
dlongo
Amplified Esq.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very excited to be getting this album. Nicely done review, now I can't wait for it even more.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums