AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Track Record, The - The Coolest Kind of Crazy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 6.75
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.19
Musicianship 6.06
Lyrics 6.25
Production 5.75
Creativity 5.31
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 4.88
Average: 56%
Inside AP.net

Track Record, The - The Coolest Kind of Crazy

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (03/01/07)
The Track Record - The Coolest Kind of Crazy
Released - December 2006
Record Label - Unsigned

Stream 3 tracks off The Coolest Kind of Crazy at The Track Record's AbsolutePunk Profile.

Let’s preface. The Track Record is from Annapolis, the not-so-familiar capitol of Maryland. And being from my home state, I get a bit protective. Strolling along the festive harbors of this bayside gem of a city, TTR made the tiniest of pricks when Rushmore Records scooped them up in 2004. It was a brief moment of pride for Marylanders, but it seems as though this sea-baring bunch never found their bandwagon. Now Drive Thru free, they’ve recorded and self-released a full-length in hopes that more-fitting opportunities will come a-floating this way. I’m noting their valiant efforts, and that’s me admitting my bias.

At the same time, I’m no pop-punk lifer. I own but one Starting Line album, and I can’t cite New Found Glory as one of my favorites. Good pop music requires innovation to really get me moving, and TTR don’t give that to me. The Coolest Kind of Crazy aims for the shortest distance to point B; this calls for snappy choruses bouncing along snappy power chords. Instrumentally, the self-sufficiency is as cute as a Coke with two straws. The album is simple in execution, and as a direct relation, there is a heavy concentration in singer Michael Strackbein’s flairs and minor flaws. As a flaw, his boy-pop petting is taut between extended notes. As a flair, his puppy-tubes work into the grain of the guitar rhythms (see “Absolute”). As an entire effort, The Coolest Kind of Crazy isn’t as crisp as fresh greens, but the correct path is still in eyesight. Take “Lightning In A Bottle” – nimble-witted and quick, TTR are tight-lipped but ready to snuggle. “No Destination” grooves into swishy verses. As contradictory as this may sound, the album works well in a formula.

If The Coolest Kind Of Crazy was released on Drive Thru/Rushmore, I’d I have to sweep aside the Hellogoodbye electronics to even recognize a three chord strum. But because it is not, TTR is raw to the touch, rubbing its grit into the sidewalks of Maryland suburbia. Someone take a goddamn picture; it’s an under-produced pop-punk effort, most likely due to monetary limitations. Nonetheless, the album is a Frogger leap from 2003’s amateur-running self-titled EP. This time around, TTR’s laces are pulled tight, and they are conscious not to overdue the whine and high school walloping.

Standout Tracks"Absolute," "Cameras Everywhere," "No Destination"
RIYLNew Found Glory, The Starting Line, Self Against City, Echo Screen, All Time Low
Check It OutAP Profile | Myspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
01:58 AM on 03/01/07
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I liked their EP but I didn't even know this had been released! I think I'll give it a peek and see if I like it, seeing that I do enjoy me some pop-punk music.

Very good read, Julia. You're definitely one of this site's most talented writers.
03:28 AM on 03/01/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Julia!
05:36 AM on 03/01/07
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
Good review Julia. Maryland pride x2
06:16 AM on 03/01/07
xxbecky
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw the track record last weekend and they were amazing. I would reccomd EVERYONE going out and getting this cd<3
06:45 AM on 03/01/07
Saravain
is a rock band.
User Info.
older TTR = better TTR
07:49 AM on 03/01/07
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
I'm gonna order this right now, I put it off long enough.
08:45 AM on 03/01/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
You write very well ma'am.
08:49 AM on 03/01/07
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I liked their EP but I didn't even know this had been released! I think I'll give it a peek and see if I like it, seeing that I do enjoy me some pop-punk music.

Same here! I'll definately be checking this out...
09:21 AM on 03/01/07
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
its a cool album, not great, not bad

i want to sign this band. theyre great guys and have good sense of the business
09:27 AM on 03/01/07
boxcar192
GregParker
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i <3 julia. haha
09:43 AM on 03/01/07
HiddenInNJ
User Info.
i had no idea this was released... ill check it out cause i liked the EP
09:49 AM on 03/01/07
ohsolovely
Hi, I'm Susan.
User Info.
I LOVE this album and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of music. This review was very well written :)
10:05 AM on 03/01/07
Chevy114
User Info.
I wonder if this albums sucks because they had all the songs written a few years ago while on rushmore and they are too lazy to write songs that are up to date and reflect who they are now?
10:28 AM on 03/01/07
sweetmik
WNYX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hate the artwork. The guys know who did the original ep work. They should have got him!

I've enjoyed the songs I've heard though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums