AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Goodbye Good Sense - Teaser EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 62%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Goodbye Good Sense - Teaser EP

Reviewed by: TestwoodRapier (02/16/11)
Goodbye Good Sense Ė Teaser EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 16, 2010

Teaser EPí by Goodbye Good Sense is a three track introduction designed, one would assume, to generate interest in the band ahead of a full release at some point in the foreseeable future. Following several listens of the EP, one overriding adjective stands out for me; an adjective that generally strikes fear in me when reviewing music: decent. In much the same way that you might go out and have a decent meal, or see a decent film: you have an expectation of what you might get and the experience meets your expectation; itís nothing special, but it isnít bad either. Itís just decent.

The EP moves off at a fast pace, with the guitars, vocals and drums all kicking in from the outset and this pace is maintained through much of the three tracks. The vocals are good, the drums provide a great backbone for the songs and the guitars successfully provide body to the music as well as lending harmony and melody. On the other side of the coin though, the vocal melodies are safely confined to a limited range, the tempo of the songs stays largely the same throughout and musically there is little on offer to set the band apart from other bands in this genre. The three songs bleed together due to the pace and tone of the songs being too consistent which, over a three track EP, gives me concerns about hearing a full album of material.

The bandís sound takes me back to the mid-2000s; specifically such releases as This is Who You Are by The Beautiful Mistake and Outside We Are Fine by YouInSeries. These bands made names for themselves by playing fast-paced songs with melodic clean vocals and meandering song structures carried by steady chord progressions and floaty lead lines. However, whilst the style of the band is similar to these artists, the impact of the music is no longer the same. Since the mid-2000s many bands have recycled this sound and as a result, I have become practically immune to its effects.

I draw parallels between this style of music and a favourite pair of jeans. When you first buy them you never want to take them off, but the more times you put them through the wash, the more the colours fade until youíre left with something that appears tired and dull. When that happens you tend to look for something else to wear. There was a point in time though where some bright sparks werenít happy throwing them away and instead experimented with cutting slits in the knees or exaggerating the faded effect, and before we knew it a new Ďtorn-jeaní trend was born. Sometimes you donít have to push the envelope to be creative; sometimes itís simply a matter of working with what youíve got.

The title Teaser EP is provocative. It implies that what weíre about to hear will whet our appetites enough to desire the full package. Upon listening though, I remain unconvinced, but what this EP does show is that Goodbye Good Sense have the credentials to create good music. What the band must do now is take a pair of scissors to their music and personalise their canvas in a way that makes the result unmistakeably their sound. Conditions proved in 2010 with their excellent album Fluorescent Youth that you donít need to be innovative to be effective; playing a tried and tested sound is fine, as long as youíve figured out how to play it better than everybody else! Sadly for this band, they're a way short of that accolade for now.

Recommended If You LikeYouInSeries, The Beautiful Mistake, Days in December, early Thrice

www.myspace.com/goodbyegoodsense

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
05:54 AM on 02/21/11
Mianda
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Comparing pleased me to jeans.research paper
In their songs I very like a rhythm section
06:45 AM on 02/21/11
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
YouInSeries, Damiera, Kaddisfly... i always loved this kind of band so that's a great discover, good review.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS