AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Thomas Giles - Pulse Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%

Thomas Giles - Pulse

Reviewed by: ROFLmyWOFL (02/18/11)
Thomas Giles - Pulse
Record Label - Metal Blade
Release Date - February 2nd, 2011

So Thomas Giles Rogers Jr. has graced our ears with his solo album Pulse. For those of you who don't know, this is Tommy Rogers from Between the Buried and Me, only this time around he's done everything, so every voice and instrument you hear is Tommy's. Also let it be known this venture is nothing like his previous, Giles. This album is a masterpiece of experimental rock, from beginning to end, with one exception.

Pulse starts off on a mellow, yet driven "Sleep Shake", one of the best on the album. Sleep Shake is obviously saying that this album is his, "My creation, My imagination, I've become different now, My speech and thought's are out". "Reverb Island" seems to be written in the same vain, while saying "make your own reality". "Mr. Bird" is an outro of sorts for "Reverb Island." "Catch and Release" is an electronic song that displays Tommy's rough vocals."Hamilton Anxiety Scale" is one of my personal favorites on this album, it's almost Muse like and has many layers, making it extremely interesting. Instrumentally and vocally a 10/10.

"Scared" is where the album really starts to diversify. Lyrics are the star here, "I'm scared, you're frightened, sit down, please". I feel that this song could be taken a few different ways. While it's most likely about being unsure of the future, more specifically, the future of a relationship, I think it could really be taken more vaguely as the future in general. Instrumentation is very well done here as well, it sounds like 2 acoustic guitar tracks and an amazing vocal track. All of those things make it my favorite on the album.

"Reject Falicon" starts out really psychedelic, but soon turns into a heart pounding anthem of sorts.

Now for "Medic." This song does not fit. Period. It seems like part of a BTBAM song, not necessarily a bad thing, but it really stops the flow of this album for me. This song is conquered by screams with some "inside of your head" vocals layered behind. Not a bad song, just out of place.

"Suspend the Death Watch" is really mellow, and lyrically the star. "Armchair Travel" is another favorite of mine, it's a letter to a missed one. It has a great acoustic instrumentation, with impressive harmonized vocals. No joke... but I feel this song would fit in perfectly with Relient K's Nashville Tennis EP. "Hypoxia" is a well played ending to this album, starts really slow, but turns to a driving rhythm with the recurring lines "keep moving, keep swimming." Really uplifting.

This album is so far my album of the year, but that may change with time seeing it's only February. In the end I'm telling you, that you need this album.

Recommended If You LikeProgressive/Experimental Rock; Between the Buried and Me; Muse

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
07:26 PM on 03/05/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Looks like this is lightyears of the "old" Giles
09:11 PM on 03/05/11
Yontsey
This Awkward Silence / Dustin
User Info.
This album, Radio, and the Bayside album are my three favorite 2011 releases by far. This album is amazing and only strengthens the case that Rogers is a genius. Very underrated. Now bring on the new BTBAM!
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version