AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Day to Remember - What Seperates Me From You Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 9.5
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.27
Musicianship 5.59
Lyrics 5.7
Production 6.57
Creativity 5.27
Lasting Value 5.77
Reviewer Tilt 6.64
Average: 60%
Inside AP.net

A Day to Remember - What Seperates Me From You

Reviewed by: d50416 (02/18/11)
A Day to Remember -What Separates Me From You
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: November 16, 2010

Let’s make this review simple from the beginning. There are 3 groups of ADTR fans and they will each have a different feel for this album. If you’re a fan of A Day to Remember entirely, you will love this album. If you’re more of a fan of early A Day to Remember, you will hate this album and probably mock the band’s progression into the mainstream. If you’re more of a fan of Homesick - like me - you will mildly enjoy this album.

What Separates Me From You begins with “Sticks and Bricks” which blows off the doors with a guttural chant from McKinnon followed by a classic breakdown. The verses are laid with the normal ‘chug-chug’ of the guitars, and double bass, but as things normally do in recent ADTR songs, they become extremely accessible to any listener in the chorus. McKinnon’s still got some shred left in his scream, which blends in perfectly with his singing voice. Another big breakdown diversifies the track a little further with a "Mr. Highway"-like breakdown toward the end. “All I Want” is the lead single off the album, and it definitely has that “single” feel to it. Heavy power chords and minimal screaming make this a major radio-friendly song. “It’s Complicated” is a song that brings back an early-2000 pop-punk sound, followed by another typical catchy chorus. They try to get back to switch gears by fitting in a big breakdown mid-way through the song, but it doesn’t fit into the flow of the song at all.

“This is the House That Doubt Built” is their version of a power-ballad; meaning there are major chords, whoa-oh’s lining the chorus, and the slight implementation of a string section. They don’t really pull it off as it comes off as another attempt to make a cookie-cutter radio song. “2nd Sucks” throws us back into heavy ADTR with a Mortal Kombat “fight” starting off the track before the song-long breakdown ensues. “Better Off This Way” is yet another example of the band making a generic pop-punk song, filled with one or two chords in the chorus, along with more whoa-oh’s. “All Signs Point to Lauderdale” is a song that brings back some good ADTR guitars, but the lyrics make the song sound like they’re channeling old Simple Plan.

“You’ll Be Tails, I’ll Be Sonic” is written in the same vain as “2nd Sucks” and completely blows off the doors at first listen. But ADTR does not disappoint its newer audience as the chorus comes back with a poppy feel, but not to the point of other songs on this disc. There is some great breakdown that is something The Acacia Strain would have come up with. “Out of Time” is the next track, and is pretty much the exact same song as ‘All I Want’ without the same appeal. The one redeeming quality to point out is Alex Shelnutt’s drumming; some of his fills in this song are pretty good. Album closer “If I Leave” starts out with a great riff (something that was REALLY lacking on this album) that’s reminiscent of early Blink-182, and amplifies it to ADTR heaviness. While the chorus is again, more pop-punk sounding, it does keep the song moving at a nice pace.

All in all, this album isn’t too bad, unless you were looking for more of Homesick, which is personally what I was hoping for. I leave this album a little disappointed, but then again this band still has so much to offer and will continue to look forward to their next release.

Recommended If You LikeMetal, Rock, A Day to Remember - Homesick, Four Year Strong, Blessthefall

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
05:41 PM on 02/20/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Lolwut?
Score does not match review, and score should never be even thought of for this album.
05:54 PM on 02/20/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
There's absolutely nothing metal about this album. In my unbiased opinion, this album does not deserve anything higher than a 70%.
07:54 PM on 02/20/11
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
I couldn't get into this album, found the vocals grating, but Homesick and For Those Who Have Heart sealed this band as being one of my favorites, so I can't hate it either. Good review, in any case.
11:12 PM on 02/20/11
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
87% sure is high for someone who only mildly enjoys it. no care for this band though.
02:38 AM on 02/21/11
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
These guys are awesome live!
06:50 AM on 02/21/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
Shows how much you paid attention to the album, the song is called "It's Complicated" that you were referring to in the first paragraph.
07:32 AM on 02/21/11
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
despite score =/= review and other blah blah blah about this album don't deserving an high score, I grown out of Homesick, so What Separates Me From You is a fresh reintroduction to ATDR. Also, it's the perfect length for any ATDR albums: around 30 minutes.
02:48 PM on 02/21/11
MrAndyRoo
I Have No User Title
User Info.
I couldn't disagree with you more in the first paragraph...I'm a huge fan of FTWHH and Homesick, and I can't get into this album at all. As others have said, the score doesn't match your review, and your review is quite generous in my opinion. Overall, a decent review.
05:14 PM on 02/21/11
d50416
User Info.
yeah i straight up clicked the wrong scores when i was submitting it my bad.. fixed now
06:20 AM on 02/27/11
cwya
User Info.
I didnt like this album, I've kind of grown out of ADTR.
10:07 AM on 03/01/11
PntsoffDnceoff
User Info.
I agree with review. I'm pretty tired of these "hardcore" kids hating ADTR now just because people like them.

I loved FTWHH and Homesick and found this album decent. Not enough pop punk/hardcore mix in each song for me. I mean each song went either too poppy or too hardcore. Which was the disappointment.
04:29 PM on 03/01/11
d50416
User Info.
I agree with review. I'm pretty tired of these "hardcore" kids hating ADTR now just because people like them.

I loved FTWHH and Homesick and found this album decent. Not enough pop punk/hardcore mix in each song for me. I mean each song went either too poppy or too hardcore. Which was the disappointment.
that last part is very true, it just sucks they went heavy on really 2 songs poppy on 8
08:38 AM on 03/02/11
seanriley2366
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
adtr are not good live lol, theyre dreadful
11:00 AM on 03/02/11
Calzum
User Info.
Quote:
If you’re more of a fan of Homesick - like me - you will mildly enjoy this album.
*Gives album at 79*

do you know the meaning of mildly?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT