AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
One Step Away - For the Broken Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

One Step Away - For the Broken

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (02/20/11)
One Step Away - For the Broken
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: September 12th, 2010

February marks the time of year where east coast folk like myself begin longing for nicer weather. Its been snow storm after snow storm, and its gotten so bad that I have weird nightmares that I'll never see the grass in my backyard again. Listening to music usually soothes these fears, especially the music that brings back old memories stemming from summer or spring time. But for a winter of this magnitude, I needed something big- and that's where One Step Away's new full-length, For the Broken, comes into play.

For the Broken is best described as a NOW compilation -- but instead of crappy radio hits, the album is reminiscent of the pop bands that are keeping this genre alive. Opener "Here We Go" is straight out of The Fold's Dear Future... handbook whereas "Need You" has a little Boys Like Girls in it (before they went all Bon Jovi on us). The closer "All the Little Things" could very well be mistaken as a Holiday Parade song. Truthfully, if Runner Runner released the debut album that people were expecting, it would probably sound close to For the Broken.

Normally with comparisons like these, one would think One Step Away is a typical, disposable act, but it's not to say that they lack originality. It's pretty near impossible to find a completely original band in pop rock now anyway, which is why it's nice to see a band attempt to put their own spin on songs to separate themselves from the sea of those trying to cash in on what's popular. Songs like "Tomorrow and Forever" and the ballad "Riptide" should be what younger bands in the genre aim to emulate. When pop rock eventually starts to fade, it'll be easier to scope out what's worth a listen; One Step Away has the potential to be close to the top.

Maybe people have grown sick of music that brings on the scent of summer. I know I'm sick of music trying to make me go anywhere near a dancefloor. If I never hear the word "slizzard" again, it would be too soon. But for what it's worth, One Step Away's For the Broken isn't like most summer soundtracks. When I listen, I'm not thinking of crazy parties with girls who don't like me, or long drives with the windows rolled down. That's exclusive New Found Glory territory. For the Broken is more of a "night at the beach staring down the ocean" or "watching the sunset with your best friends" type of record, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Here We Go
02) Need You
03) Next to You
04) Riptide
05) Hook Line and Sinker
06) On My Mind
07) Tomorrow and Forever
08) Wide Awake
09) In This Moment
10) You Said
11) All the Little Things
Produced by: Dan Malsch, Alec Henniger
Choice cuts: "Here We Go," "Hook Line and Sinker"

One Step Away is:
Adam Carrington - vocals
Terence Healy - guitar
Michael Nuzzolo - bass
Ben Trudeau - drums

Bandcamp - Purevolume - Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:36 AM on 02/20/11
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
I played the first song and I thought that I was listening to an Hey Monday song with male vocals
09:03 AM on 02/24/11
WatchThemSuffer
User Info.
^ Boom.
01:37 PM on 03/14/11
SydMenning
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys are amazing! They played at a benefit concert I held and were great musicians and really great guys. They have so much talent and this album is a job well done. I can't wait to hear more from them. They are DEFINITELY work checking out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums