1. How did you get your band name? Jappo: Well, the name came from Tom, our former singer. The story behind the name is that it's a dried and pickled left hand from someone who had died in the gallows. The hand was then formed so that a candle could be placed inside and then was used to cast a sort of spell and render motionless all persons to who it was presented. We thought it sounded cool and it had a story behind the name.
2. How did this band get started? Jappo: The band started out by actually posting on Myspace. We were looking for a singer because there was nobody in our area who was into that kind of music. Then Tom, our first singer, answered the post and we met up and started writing songs together.
3. What bands are you influenced by? John: We'd have to say Himsa, Darkest Hour, At The Gates, and stuff like that.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why? Randall: Well, we would love to tour with At The Gates just because they have had a huge influence on all of us. As I Lay Dying, Darkest Hour, and Killswitch Engage would also be awesome. We just see those bands as being awesome dudes and really down to earth and that's something you don't really see in bands anymore.
5. Best food to eat on tour? Sascha: Thai food, hands down. We love that stuff!!!
6. Why should people listen to your band? John: Well, we feel that we have something to offer besides just our music. There is a story with a background and a message here. Two of our members are Americans who were in the US Army at the time that America invaded Iraq. So our album deals with the loss and devastation that has pretty much crippled the world and economy.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? John: I'd have to say Joe Montana quarterback from the SF 49ers in the 80's. I'm a 49ers fan!!! Or maybe even Steve Young would be awesome.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? Randall: Our fans!!! We have some of the greatest guys and girls ever.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? John: I would like to see the industry going back to their roots, especially in the indie label scene. Music used to be about music and now there seems to be an expectation out of bands for how they look, or how many friends the band has on Myspace, and so on and so on. I think as an independent label you should stop molding yourselves after a corporate label machine and really get back to the spirit of DIY. Sure, things like the internet and social networking has helped bands reach a larger audience but the focus should be on music and not everything else that surrounds it.
10. Memorable tour experience? Randall: I would have to say last year at Rock Area Festival. We had a blast there and saw some really great bands perform live. Myself and our merch guy "The Dude" was tackling everyone like in those Terry Tate Office Linebacker commercials. I even tackled the tent of Sascha our bass player...it was loads of fun! Just a lot of hangin out and good times.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? John: Well, I think it’s a great resource for musicians and music fans to get the latest info on a band you like or discover a new band that becomes one of your favorites to listen to. I’ve always like the community feel of AP where you can share ideas with like minded individuals.
12. What is your favorite song to play? Jappo: "Break The Illusion" is a favorite of all of us. It has a deep meaning and the crowd seem to really enjoy it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? Sascha: Anywhere with warm weather and sunshine! Germany doesn’t get too much nice weather during the year.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? John: I’d have to say classic rock. My dad was always playing stuff like Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper in the car or on his stereo at home. So I grew up on that kind of music as a kid.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? Jappo: Aww that’s a dangerous thing. I mean I would like to stop time and be able to drive to work in the morning without being in a traffic jam…but imagine if time never started back again after using your super power….I think I’ve read too many comic books.
16. Any pre-show superstitions? John: No, not really. We all get kind of nervous before a show starts but we don’t do any rituals or anything like that before we play.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? Randall: Our guitarist, Jappo, has a sixth toe…just kidding!
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? Randall: I think independent radio channels or even internet radio can help a band out for sure. Radio seems to be on the decline with things like last.FM and internet radio currently being the more popular way to listen to radio stations.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Sascha: I like to take photos in my spare time…I do this with Contrast Art and really love doing it.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? John: I guess a talent of mine would have to be painting. I haven’t painted in a while but I went to art school for two years and kind of developed from there.