AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 145.
05:29 PM on 03/14/11
AussieBoy
User Info.
First, I don't think this is their best work, but which one of us does? Not "best" doesn't mean "bad."
Understand, "Sufferer" is a once-in-a-genre record and most bands are lucky to reach that peak.
Comparing every subsequent record to that one will only leave you shallow-minded and disappointed;
Kind of like how each Green Day record goes against "Dookie," or JEW against "Clarity."

That said, I am one of the few who loves each of their releases - they are great in their own way, period.
How mad would each of us be if they never evolved beyond "The Unraveling"? As great as that is, NOT
EVERY RECORD CAN SOUND LIKE THAT ONE. They would burn out and fade away, like their heroes.

Hopefully, this album will translate to what is their sound and performance bread-and-butter: live shows.
Anyone who has never seen them live is doing themselves a disservice; hearing a song like "Chamber
The Cartridge" and seeing the subsequent pit that builds is an experience not seen in this scene often.
Excuse them for writing an album that they wanted to make, on their own terms. We should be thankful
Rise Against gets radio airplay and saves your ears from another single by Seether, you idiots.
So, if you can read between the lines - I love Rise Against, and I am looking forward to this album.

Post of the year so far!!
05:52 PM on 03/14/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
Nothing this band ever releases will match a single track from Siren Song of the Counter Culture...
08:43 PM on 03/14/11
Mynameis7
User Info.
"All bands grow up; punk bands won't play purely punk rock forever. It happens in all genres, and as musicians evolve so does their music." I am so glad you said this and so glad the way you worded it, a lot of fans get angry about this exact thing. I could not have said that any better myself. In any event, I really liked the record a lot! Nice review also!
02:05 PM on 03/15/11
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
I heard the single "Help Is On The Way"
it was ok, but nothing that makes me think this album is all that worth getting?
good assumption or bad assumption?
05:58 PM on 03/15/11
encoreink
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I heard the single "Help Is On The Way"
it was ok, but nothing that makes me think this album is all that worth getting?
good assumption or bad assumption?

Great assumption I'm afraid. I've been into RA since the very first album. I honestly feel like "Help is on the way" is one of the only stand-out tracks on this album. Every other song has a very generic, watered-down Pantera-esque guitar intro an has a really slow, melodic chorus. Every track on Endgame just runs into the other. Even the subject matter for 9 tracks is just vague descriptions of running away, getting out of here and destruction. Lyrically, this one is BY FAR their worst. No passion, no narritive song writing that Tim used to do better than anyone. I'm not a big fan of "Help is on the way"- but at least with the new single you know it's about something (the BP oil spill). The rest of the tracks just have nothing to say, never get you riled up or get in your face. Sit back and let this one crawl past ya.
04:56 AM on 03/16/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Nothing this band ever releases will match a single track from Siren Song of the Counter Culture...
True, but that is one of my favourite records of all time.

I've been really impressed with this album, it's a definite step up from Appeal to Reason.
There is no song as great as Savior but none nearly as bad as Strength to Go On or Audience of One.
Also, there is no "this is our acoustic song" song.
A couple of tracks are really fast too, and another couple of different ones have some cool screams.
It sounds like a natural progression from Sufferer -- maybe we can pretend it is, and ATR was just a sick ep with only four or five great songs.
04:56 AM on 03/16/11
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
Great assumption I'm afraid. I've been into RA since the very first album. I honestly feel like "Help is on the way" is one of the only stand-out tracks on this album. Every other song has a very generic, watered-down Pantera-esque guitar intro an has a really slow, melodic chorus. Every track on Endgame just runs into the other. Even the subject matter for 9 tracks is just vague descriptions of running away, getting out of here and destruction. Lyrically, this one is BY FAR their worst. No passion, no narritive song writing that Tim used to do better than anyone. I'm not a big fan of "Help is on the way"- but at least with the new single you know it's about something (the BP oil spill). The rest of the tracks just have nothing to say, never get you riled up or get in your face. Sit back and let this one crawl past ya.

I'm sure I have read it is about Katrina.
02:48 PM on 03/16/11
encoreink
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm sure I have read it is about Katrina.

The first verse is about Katrina, I believe, but then after the first chorus, it about the Deepwater Horizon spill (notice the lyrics say "5,000 feet below, black smoke engulfs the sky- the ocean floor explodes, 11 mothers cry"). There were 11 killed in the blast down there and it also explains "black smoke" due to the burning of the oil on the surface.
10:20 AM on 03/20/11
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
First, I don't think this is their best work, but which one of us does? Not "best" doesn't mean "bad."
Understand, "Sufferer" is a once-in-a-genre record and most bands are lucky to reach that peak.
Comparing every subsequent record to that one will only leave you shallow-minded and disappointed;
Kind of like how each Green Day record goes against "Dookie," or JEW against "Clarity."

That said, I am one of the few who loves each of their releases - they are great in their own way, period.
How mad would each of us be if they never evolved beyond "The Unraveling"? As great as that is, NOT
EVERY RECORD CAN SOUND LIKE THAT ONE. They would burn out and fade away, like their heroes.

Hopefully, this album will translate to what is their sound and performance bread-and-butter: live shows.
Anyone who has never seen them live is doing themselves a disservice; hearing a song like "Chamber
The Cartridge" and seeing the subsequent pit that builds is an experience not seen in this scene often.
Excuse them for writing an album that they wanted to make, on their own terms. We should be thankful
Rise Against gets radio airplay and saves your ears from another single by Seether, you idiots.
So, if you can read between the lines - I love Rise Against, and I am looking forward to this album.
I came in here to say something just like this. Just because every album isn't their "best" or doesn't sound like someone's favorite doesn't mean it isn't good. I personally love this album and the way rise against is progressing.
05:12 AM on 03/24/11
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
Okay I have finally listened to this enough to give an unbiased review.

I love it. It's not as empassioned as their earlier stuff -- and not quite as good -- but it is far better than Appeal to Reason.
1. It rocks harder. Tracks 1 and 4 are faster than all of ATR and half of Sufferer, there is more screaming than either of those records and there is not a single song that doesn't at least try to rawkout.
2. There is no acoustic song. I like Hero of War and Swing Life Away but having one slow song on each album was getting a little gimmicky.
3. The tracks have more depth than on ATR, you can pick up new textures on the 10th listen.
4. There are no embarassing missteps like singing o-o-onnnn on Strength to go On.
5. The samples and spoken tracks in the background occasionally add something new to their sound and help them illustrate points.
6. Although the tracks all follow a similar formula, after that second chorus drops you can't predict where they're gonna take it on the first few listens.
7. They change up their outro choruses ala Good Left Undone, making sure songs finish on strong points.
8. The final track is genuine, rather than a poor attempt at a final aggressive statement like Whereabouts Unknown.

You stopped reading awhile ago so I'll leave it at this. 9 out of 10.
06:08 AM on 04/04/11
Conor Magill
Break through the undertow!
User Info.
This album fails to pick up where Apeal To Reason left off. Despite what alot of people think, I beleive it to be their best album to date from a band who's sound has been ever evolving with ever album. I just feel that there wasn't enough moving foward in this album and it is no doubt a collection of solid guitar riffs from Zach and the ever brilliant raspy vocals from Tim... It's missing that little bit of magic I feel.
11:57 AM on 04/28/11
413punkguy
Don't tread on me
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That Architects bridge line you mentioned is exactly the same from Against Me!'s I Was Teenage Anarchist's chorus: "Do you remember when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?".
By the way, I'm excited to hear a new Rise Against record, I haven't enjoyed ATR as a whole like I did with TS&TW, but most of it.
I said the same thing when heard that lyric kinda did a double take , haha I think it was a tribute to their old friends Against Me! more then a rip off. The record was average in my opinion average for them is good for pretty much any other band though. Awesome username btw haha!
04:25 PM on 05/12/11
DanPiazza
Tourist With a Typewriter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The album is solid, but that's about it. I've already spun it a few times, but I doubt it will be on my radar past June.
04:54 PM on 05/12/11
understandthis
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As much as I hate to say it, i think Rise Against should stop producing Albums soon. It's happened too many times: a great band falls after they come out with a really bad album after so many good ones. Not to say this album is bad in any way, but I just want them to leave a permanent mark in the punk rock hall of fame. Of course there would still be tours and stuff, just not too much new stuff. And hey, I could be wrong, they might have another album that knocks the socks off of even The Sufferer and the Witness (my favorite).
07:27 PM on 05/15/11
CannoliIsGood
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey does anyone know where I can find the shirt that has the log over the heart, and then on the back in big letters it says I CAN STAND MY OWN GROUND?

I've been looking for this thing everywhere and can't find it

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy that at?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests