Password

Album Review
Call It Fiction - Something I've Never Felt Album Cover

Call It Fiction - Something I've Never Felt

Reviewed by
Call It FictionSomething I’ve Never Felt
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 5, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Hailing from Akron, Ohio, Call It Fiction are continuing on the pop-punk wagon with their latest EP, Something I’ve Never Felt. Channeling acts such as Four Year Strong and Hit The Lights, these guys seem to be the whole package. One of the better vocalists in the scene? Check. Raging guitars and thunderous drums? Check. A synth? Yeah, that’s there, as well. Oh, and plenty of gang vocals, of course.

Call It Fiction start off strong and end even stronger with this EP. The opening “When You Give It All You Got, What's Left To Give?!” has all of the aforementioned qualities wrapped up into one grandiloquent track. Vocalist Elliott Blair soars throughout the track, accompanied wonderfully by bassist Alex Hylton’s backing vocals. The following number “Seasons” proves the effective nature of Alex Tucker’s synth. One may think a synth in this type of music would be out of place, but the guys make it work exceptionally well throughout the EP.

Following the summery “Seasons,” “Change Of Heart” exemplifies the chemistry of Blair and Hylton on vocals, as the two complement with each other throughout the addictive hit. “Sitting In The Crowd” is paced with thick palm mutes, courtesy of Blair and Nick Rinaldo on guitars, as this vocal pinnacle provides a softer, melodic side to Close To Home. The emotion conveyed within Blair’s vocal style is unmatched thus far on the EP.

The closer “2010 Couldn’t Come Sooner” is the highlight of Something I’ve Never Felt, and thus far and beyond the best track. The vocal delivery is as raw as it gets as Hylton sings “if this is the end of the world I believe it” in what is arguably the best pop-punk hit this far in 2011. The soaring guitars shine on the closer, as well, as they set the tone with the best guitar play on the EP. Brandon Young’s powerful drumming also adds to the track, proving the true full band potential Call It Fiction possess, a rarity for such a young pop-punk group.

For just a six track, twenty minute EP, Something has put Call It Fiction on the radar. Call It Fiction clearly possess such an array of young talent, as each track is just as catchy as the previous. I may sound hyperbolic, but trust me, this EP is about to turn some heads.

Recommended If You LikeGo Radio, Hit The Lights, pop-punk, Four Year Strong

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. When You Give It All You Got, What's Left To Give?!
2. Seasons
3. Change Of Heart
4. American Werewolf in Cleveland
5. Sitting In The Crowd
6. 2012 Couldn't Come Sooner

Call It Fiction are:
Elliott Blair – Vocals, Guitar
Nick Rinaldo – Guitar
Alex Hylton – Bass, Vocals
Alex Tucker – Synth
Brandon Young – Drums

Purevolume

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
05:28 AM on 03/01/11
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
The 2 songs i've heard are super awesome, excited for this.
Also, shouldn't it be '2012' in the 2nd last paragraph?
06:51 AM on 03/01/11
Hey Krys
you were our only friend
User Info.
this release is so good, 2012 and seasons are still my 2 favorites
07:28 AM on 03/01/11
claw38
User Info.
These guys are from my hometown and it's so awesome to see them play live...I saw them play with Valencia and Terrible Things, and they held their own.
Definitely excited to see what else they can do in the future.
09:30 AM on 03/01/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Band didn't grab my attention at all...I disagree with most of the review. I definitely don't hear what you're coming from when you say "one of the better vocalists in the scene." To each their own.
02:47 PM on 03/01/11
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
this is really good!
10:25 PM on 03/01/11
Jacob Tender
User Info.
Band didn't grab my attention at all...I disagree with most of the review. I definitely don't hear what you're coming from when you say "one of the better vocalists in the scene." To each their own.

May I ask who you think is better? I've seen them live and Elliott is honestly one of the best pop punk vocalists I've ever heard. No autotune required.
11:10 PM on 03/01/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
May I ask who you think is better? I've seen them live and Elliott is honestly one of the best pop punk vocalists I've ever heard. No autotune required.
Is this a real question? I could just start off listing tons of bands that I listen to.
05:01 AM on 03/02/11
Jacob Tender
User Info.
Is this a real question? I could just start off listing tons of bands that I listen to.

No, my question was fake.
05:24 AM on 03/02/11
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
what a pleasant EP. enjoyed listening and will be following this band. and I liked the man's vocals a lot. the lyrics weren't that good, though.
10:38 AM on 03/02/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yawn. Heard this in a hundred other places.
12:00 PM on 03/02/11
matrocksteady
Web Editor, Alternative Press
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Please do, because I think you're full of shit, too. Elliot is consistent live and has a pleasant tone and solid range (much wider than a lot of pop punk vocalists).
01:15 PM on 03/02/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Please do, because I think you're full of shit, too. Elliot is consistent live and has a pleasant tone and solid range (much wider than a lot of pop punk vocalists).
02:58 PM on 03/02/11
MJS87
sounds better on vinyl
User Info.
Thank you for confirming you are completely unfounded in anything you have to say on the matter.
03:20 PM on 03/02/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Thank you for confirming you are completely unfounded in anything you have to say on the matter.
Oh okay. I don't know anything about the genre so my opinion shouldn't matter anyway.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos