Username
Password
New News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 42.
12:21 PM on 03/01/11
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
Haven't heard your stuff yet, but I hope you make it, dude.

So, all you talk about in the presentation is your computer. That's 1100 dollars, what about the remaining $3400? All for vinyl and touring? That's not really cool, man. This is begging in its purest form and belongs on your own website in form of a tipjar, or something.

Appealing to fans = begging? If people want to support him they will and I don't think you or anyone else should cry foul play.
12:24 PM on 03/01/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
So, all you talk about in the presentation is your computer. That's 1100 dollars, what about the remaining $3400? All for vinyl and touring? That's not really cool, man. This is begging in its purest form and belongs on your own website in form of a tipjar, or something.
How rid-ickulous.

Judging by your wall, you seem to be a troll. Surprising!
12:24 PM on 03/01/11
Rid Ickulous
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haven't heard your stuff yet, but I hope you make it, dude.

Appealing to fans = begging? If people want to support him they will and I don't think you or anyone else should cry foul play.

I already said that I wouldn't have a problem if this was a tipjar, but the maths - they don't add up.
12:36 PM on 03/01/11
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
I already said that I wouldn't have a problem if this was a tipjar, but the maths - they don't add up.

New laptop = $1,100
300 7" vinyl = $1,100
300 12" vinyl = $1,300

Estimated total = $3,500

That is just a very rough estimate, and doesn't include how much it will cost to ship everything to everyone. Also, I don't have the album art yet, and don't know how many colors it will be; that costs more money. The goal is $4,500 and both Amazon and Kickstarter take 5% of that, AND that is only if I reach my goal. If I don't reach it in the time allowed, I get no money, and no one pays anything.
12:37 PM on 03/01/11
FifteenFleeting
Fifteen Fleeting
User Info.

well, considering we just self recorded an album and pressed to CD (read: cheaper) and it was 1300 alone for the cd press. Add in cost for gear, mix and master, art work, etc and $4500 is well under what you actually need to pay for it all.
01:21 PM on 03/01/11
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
So you want people to buy you a personal laptop?
01:27 PM on 03/01/11
FifteenFleeting
Fifteen Fleeting
User Info.

Im personally not the biggest supporter of kickstarter projects for my own reasons, but I understand why people do them. What it comes down to is that if you do not believe in the artist or the purpose of their kickstarter, you do not have to donate. Its as simple as that. Also, and as mentioned, if the goal is not reached by the deadline, no one is charged and the artist doesnt get the $.
01:31 PM on 03/01/11
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Whatever happened to people working hard for the things they want to buy? Saving money has apparently become a thing of the past. Instead of saying, "this is how much money I have saved for this project. XXXXX amount would help me meet my goal," it's turned into FUND MY WHOLE PROJECT.

Kickstarter removes all personal accountability. If you don't have the money to buy a new laptop or record with SUPER-AWESOME PRODUCER WHO'S DONE ALBUMS BY ALISTOFNAMEDROPPEDARTISTS....sorry. Life isn't peaches and rainbows.
01:40 PM on 03/01/11
FifteenFleeting
Fifteen Fleeting
User Info.
Whatever happened to people working hard for the things they want to buy? Saving money has apparently become a thing of the past. Instead of saying, "this is how much money I have saved for this project. XXXXX amount would help me meet my goal," it's turned into FUND MY WHOLE PROJECT.

Kickstarter removes all personal accountability. If you don't have the money to buy a new laptop or record with SUPER-AWESOME PRODUCER WHO'S DONE ALBUMS BY ALISTOFNAMEDROPPEDARTISTS....sorry. Life isn't peaches and rainbows.

My sentiments exactly, but just less boldly stated.
01:45 PM on 03/01/11
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
Will donate when I get paid friday.
Cool Avatar bro.
01:49 PM on 03/01/11
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.

No, not at all. It'd be a laptop dedicated to music (recording and playing live). If I wanted something for personal use, I would buy it myself.

I'm not about to publicly state my annual income, but if I were to try and save money out of my own pocket for this, you wouldn't hear new music from me until roughly June 2012. By that time, my good friend, whom I want to play guitar on the record, would already be over in the Middle East somewhere, as he is leaving for the military in May. Also, I am my own producer; I would be recording everything myself. That is why I need a new laptop.

$4k isn't going to fund the entire project. The site is called Kickstarter for a reason. This isn't jonnycraigslist.com (I had to say it!).

[edit] I also gave away my first album entirely for free, which was downloaded by somewhere around 20,000 people; I had absolutely no idea that my music would grab so much attention, and if I did, I would have charged for the album, and been able to use that money to fund my music just fine. Like I said, its a KICKSTARTER project, not a charity organization.
02:21 PM on 03/01/11
AsktheElevator
Analog Synthesizer
User Info.
No, not at all. It'd be a laptop dedicated to music (recording and playing live). If I wanted something for personal use, I would buy it myself.

I'm not about to publicly state my annual income, but if I were to try and save money out of my own pocket for this, you wouldn't hear new music from me until roughly June 2012. By that time, my good friend, whom I want to play guitar on the record, would already be over in the Middle East somewhere, as he is leaving for the military in May. Also, I am my own producer; I would be recording everything myself. That is why I need a new laptop.

$4k isn't going to fund the entire project. The site is called Kickstarter for a reason. This isn't jonnycraigslist.com (I had to say it!).

[edit] I also gave away my first album entirely for free, which was downloaded by somewhere around 20,000 people; I had absolutely no idea that my music would grab so much attention, and if I did, I would have charged for the album, and been able to use that money to fund my music just fine. Like I said, its a KICKSTARTER project, not a charity organization.
Your last response and the absolutely amazing Hydrosufoolooween EP get you backed by me, even though I am super broke myself. Good luck brother.
02:30 PM on 03/01/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Those cd's are almost done! I would have had them done a lot sooner, but some of the concept ideas I had failed miserably (the cd's wouldn't even play in a cd player). Its been a trial and error process, but I plan on finishing it up this week, and start sending them out next Monday.
Score!
02:35 PM on 03/01/11
Fatalix
User Info.
I'm just a student, and I can't say I've ever listened to your music, but I have a decent amount of money hitting my bank sometime this week and I'll be throwing some of it at this project. Your music clearly means a lot to many people here, so I figure it's cool to help.
03:02 PM on 03/01/11
cshadows2887
User Info.

I like your avatar, but fuck off. Seriously. If you don't want to support his music go support another cause instead of bitching. Or suck a dick. Whatever floats your boat.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests