AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Dotma - 02.23.11

Dotma - 02.23.11

Interviewed by
Dotma - 02.23.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Dotma
(Questions answered by vocalist Johanna Lesonen)

www.dotma.net
www.myspace.com/dotma

1. How did you get your band name?
Dotma is a shortened word from the previous band name we used to have. Since our music changed, we wanted to also change the name. Dotma was supposed to be just a temporary name, but it got stuck with us and now we're very happy that it did.

2. How did this band get started?
Harri Koskela, our keyboardist, founded Dotma in 2005, and quite soon I (Johanna Lesonen) joined the band as a singer. At first our lyrical themes were from the Middle Ages, and the melodies were very heroic. We started this band with a twinkle in the eye, but it got serious somewhere around 2007. We often remember the starting times when we practiced in a small room in Kytäjä, a countryside of Hyvinkää, Finland. In the night time it was completely dark outside because there were no street lamps. Everything was so primitive and idyllic.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We all have our own influences, and they differ for each other a lot. For example, Harri who composes all the songs, listens to bands like Moonsorrow, Turisas and Amorphis. My musical influences come from so many different genres, from classical to black metal and jazz, it's hard to pick up any specific band or artist.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would choose Moonspell, Harri's choice would probably be Moonsorrow. Why? Because they are such damn good bands, and I would be thrilled to discuss with F. Ribeiro - he's so mysterious and a great interpreter!

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I would be a squirrel because I'm small and cute!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
All the people should listen our band so that they can make their opinion about us, of course. Some will love us, some will hate us and it's okay. I'm not going to figure out any brilliant statements why people must listen to our music. It obviously won't bring the world peace. But if people enjoy beautiful atmospheric and dramatic music, they should definitely check us out!

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I think the best choice would be "Legend Of Blackbird." That would definitely be a challenging song to play because there's a lot of different parts on that song and a lot of rhythms.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My family and friends and all the people who have supported us.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would turn back time about 30 years, and then I would change the conditions for musicians into much better conditions. It's wrong that so many record labels are just trying to rip off the band. Actually at the moment I think the music industry is in very big trouble and so are the musicians. I hope there will be some kind of musical revolution ahead.

10. Memorable tour experience?
It's probably coming ahead when we hit the road on a real tour which is hopefully soon!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a new website for me.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Kingdom of the Sky," and "The Cave."

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Malibu beach.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Bruce Springsteen: Tunnel of Love, and the 80's in general.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying. Because I've done it in a dream and that was cool!

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Yes of course. We made the full-length album and it will be soon released.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Most fans don't know that I'm a huge fan of Michael Jackson. (R.I.P)

18. What's your favorite holiday?
All the holidays! At the moment it's -20 degrees here in Finland, so I'm waiting for the summer holiday because I'm f***ing freezing here!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
What spare time? Sleep.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
None. All my talents shows! Heh.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums