AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Go Radio - 03.04.11

Go Radio - 03.04.11

Interviewed by
Go Radio - 03.04.11It's very rare to find a true rock band in "the scene" today but Go Radio accomplishes just that - they are a rock band. No over-produced vocals can be found here, just raw, passionate music. Thanks to Matt and Fearless for making this happen!

1. Please state your name and role in the band.

My name is Matt Poulos and I play bass and sing back up vocals in Go Radio.

2. You just released Lucky Street. What is the story behind the name of the album?

Lucky Street is the first track on the album. It's about a dream that Jason had about the end of the world. In the dream "we're all just chasing red balloons" as the world is falling down around us. This kind of signifies that even if everything around us is epically failing and ending it's still in us to chase the things that catch our eyes that are beautiful and make us want to carry on. We chose that as an album name because the song really encompasses our drive and passion as a band.

3. Are there any songs that you feel very connected to?

Honestly, all of them. There isn't a song on this record that isn't inspired by things in our lives that matter most. That's what we write about. Forever My Father is about the passing of Jason's dad. Singing with the King is about making life count for every second even when you know you're nearing the end. Redemption in the Verse is about faith vs unfaith, believing vs non-believing and how we are affected in the pursuit of happiness in life while just trying to keep our heads up. Kill the Beast is also a very important one that fits in with the ideas represented on the rest of the album as well.

4. You were touring with Chiodos and Emarosa, which isn't typically your crowd. How was that?

It's great. We've toured with every kind of band. We like to get in front of as many people as we can, no matter what their standard favorite genre of music is. We feel like we have something for everyone and like to play for all sorts of types of crowds. We just enjoy playing for people.

5. What's the biggest difference that you hear between Lucky Street and your first EP, Welcome To Life? How do you feel like you've grown from your debut release?

Lucky Street is an accumulation of the past 3.5 years of Go Radio. We've grown lyrically, musically and conceptually. Welcome to Life was more of us writing songs to get people to listen to our band but we wrote Lucky Street so people would hear what we had to say.

6. The album is 14 tracks long, which is longer by most standards today. Was it too difficult to leave off a few tracks?

We took 40 songs to the studio in New York with the intentions of narrowing it down to 11-12. We did find it VERY difficult because we were attached to so many of them. We ended up with 13. The 14th track is the original version of Forever My Father which made the album because we thought it was important for people to hear it to honor Jason, Erin, Daniel and their father.

7. "Kill The Beast" is a song, lyrically, that resonates heavily with me. What's the story behind it?

Kill the Beast is all about finding the "light at the end of the tunnel". It's about overcoming everything you thought you never could; there are so many of those things that it can sometimes seem daunting. Then you realize one day that there is a way to get better, you find out things about yourself and how far you can push yourself. It's a song that we all hope will give something to every listener and help each and every one of them conquer there own personal mountains.

8. How was "Fight, Fight" written? That's a song that seems out of "the scene's" comfort range when you use some horns and interesting leads and such.

When we went into the studio we only had a verse riff and lyrics for that song. We didn't really know where we wanted to go with it but were excited about the possibilities (which were endless). We ended up just really deciding to "go for it". It was a lot of fun making that song into what it was. We had our friend Matt Agrella play horns on it and just decided to make that song everything we could as we felt the track deserved it. We've never really based any of our decisions on what "the scene's comfort range" or let genre boundaries dictate what we do. We make songs that we love and are passionate about and hope people feel the same way.

9. There are 5 ballads on the album. Normally, there are 1 or 2 per album. Why did you include so many?

We love ballads. We feel like they can be subtle and powerful at the same time. Ballads are some of the most honest songs because glitz, glamor, and flair has to be limited and the song can be stripped to its most vital parts.

10. What are some bands AP.net readers should check out?

Manchester Orchestra. Avett Brothers. Enter Shikari. Mumford and Sons. Frank Turner. Ben Folds. Jack's Mannequin. Select Start.

12. Anything else to say to the readers?

Thank you.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
09:22 PM on 03/05/11
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
User Info.
I still gotta pick up this new album. Havent heard a single bad thing about it yet
11:26 AM on 03/06/11
bNz719
Know more.
User Info.
New album is fantastic. Good interview.
01:50 PM on 03/06/11
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I absolutely love this album. This was a pretty cool interview as well. Nicely done.
08:11 AM on 03/09/11
kaduck2007
User Info.
Nice interview. Good album too. Wasn't that into it on the first listen compared to their last 2 eps, but it is definitely growing on me. The insight given on a few of the tracks is really interesting.
08:12 AM on 03/09/11
mkohler
Get Myself Together
User Info.
Nice interview, great album as well.
08:16 AM on 03/09/11
uglystar03
User Info.
Dude has an awesome mustache.
08:47 AM on 03/09/11
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
2 thumbs up. Loving this band more and more
09:26 AM on 03/09/11
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
listen to Select Start, you assholes. He says so.
09:44 AM on 03/09/11
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
listen to Select Start, you assholes. He says so.
Is that you Daniel? lol
09:45 AM on 03/09/11
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Dude has an awesome mustache.
He shaved it :(
09:57 AM on 03/09/11
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
Is that you Daniel? lol
Nah, I loved Select Start before Daniel joined, the <3 EP is super-good, the stuff they released before that ... not so much.
10:21 AM on 03/09/11
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Nah, I loved Select Start before Daniel joined, the <3 EP is super-good, the stuff they released before that ... not so much.
Do you have anything from after Daniel joined? I'm a fan of his lol
11:13 AM on 03/09/11
foleyfrosh14
User Info.
one of those bands at the bottom is not like the other haha
12:05 PM on 03/09/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Enter Shikari seems so out of place on that list, but it's awesome seeing him give them a shout out

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos