Password

Album Review

The Heat Tape - Raccoon Valley Recordings Album Cover

The Heat Tape - Raccoon Valley Recordings

Reviewed by
The Heat Tape - Raccoon Valley Recordings
Record Label: Red Scare
Release Date: February 15, 2011
Red Scare veteran Brett Hunter (The Copyrights, Dear Landlord) has a new project by the name of The Heat Tape. With the help of fellow band mates Brooks Davey and Ben Bleyer the band was born straight out of the trailer in which they conduct all of their business in Illinois.The debut album from The Heat Tape, Raccoon Valley Recordings, wastes no time in getting stuck into the listener's unsuspecting head.

The band powers through 12 tracks of lo-fi garage punk with infectious sing-alongs about numerous oddball subjects. The second track "21st Century Turd" details the kind of life you'd expect from a few punks living in the trailer park with nothing but coffee, some musical instruments, and a 4-track recorder. Quirky lines like "wake up on my birthday and I got nowhere to be" and "I'm a 21st century waste of space" will leave the typical apathetic listener with a coy smile and the feeling of an undeniable connection. The next song, "Oh Camilla" is quite simply a love song about a chicken. Camilla the chicken is swooned by Hunter's tongue in cheek lyrics like, "you don't even know my name, but I love you just the same" and "you've got wings but you can't fly, I know you wanna get away sometimes." The next track, "Rich Man," sticks to the same witty theme with the lyrics as Hunter details how much money he would have if he were paid for every time he broke a girl's heart. The final lines of the song, "I would buy you a gun, so you could shoot me" provides a fitting, humorous, self deprecating end to the speedy track.

The rest of the songs on Raccoon Valley Recordings use much of the same formula, which is in no way a bad thing. However, one track that is exceptionally interesting is "Quotes from an Unopened Letter" which is well, just that. All of the lyrics from this song are quoted from an unopened letter from a county jail that was later found in an abandoned, you guessed it, trailer. The song proves to be a somber reminder that one should be thankful for what they have, and that someone else always has it much worse. An older video Hunter made for the song echoes that thought, and can be viewed/heard here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ee_Cr4MDZI

The Heat Tape's debut album is currently only available on CD from Red Scare or for digital download, but hot damn would it be a fine vinyl release. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for that to eventually happen. Until then though, buy this album, crank it up, order some pizzas, chug some Code Red, and invite all your friends over for the best LAN party of all time.

Recommended If You LikeThe Copyrights and Dear Landlord covering the Reatards in your basement.

Track List1. Spend It
2. 21st Century Turd*
3. Oh Camilla
4. Rich Man*
5. Quotes from an Unopened Letter*
6. Skin
7. Grandma's Guns
8. Ah Ha Ah*
9. Feel No Good
10. Four-Track Mind*
11. Crackin' Up
12. Idle Man

* - standout tracks

http://theheattape.bandcamp.com/
This review is a user submitted review from Dumpweed. You can see all of Dumpweed's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:33 PM on 03/26/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Cool. I was wondering if someone would review this and I'm glad you did.
02:54 PM on 03/26/11
Dumpweed
Do you like my party tricks?
User Info.
Cool. I was wondering if someone would review this and I'm glad you did.

Thanks!

I think it's one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos