AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Spellbound Dazzle - 03.01.11

Interviewed by
Spellbound Dazzle - 03.01.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Spellbound Dazzle (answered by guitarist, Branko)
www.spellbounddazzle.com
www.facebook.com/spellbounddazzleofficial
www.myspace.com/spellbounddazzle
www.reverbnation.com/spellbounddazzle
www.youtube.com/spellbounddazzle
www.twitter.com/s_b_d

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, it's very easy. One day, after a long time spent thinking about the right name for the band, I told my brother: "I'm sick and tired of this foolin'. Let's name the band." So I took a dictionary, opened it, and pointed my finger at the first name I saw. It was "Spellbound," which then became Spellbound Dazzle. Easy, don't you think? Ha ha ha.

2. How did this band get started?
It was my brother and I who first had the idea of forming a band. We used to play in our garage and many kinds of sounds went out from those walls. The more the neighbours complained, the harder we played. I was on the guitar and my brother was on drums. We were looking for a bass player and a singer, but we could not find one for a long time. Then Kreso said, "What if I sing and we look for a drummer and a bass player?" That's the way it happened and it's been like that until now. Then Stefano and Dante arrived, and since then the band took a better shape.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We listen to a lot of music and bands like The Beatles, Queen, Pantera, Metallica, Extreme, Elvis Presley or even dance and classical music as long as it's well done. And, of course, a lot of popular and rock music from the Balkans. They're all different genres, but this is the fact: we like puttin' them together and hearing how they sound. Spellbound Dazzle is not a new rock or metal band. You can expect anything from us in the future.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Well, it's not an easy question because there are a few bands we would like to tour with. But if I have to make a choice, I would say Pantera because of their funny and crazy backstage attitudes. And also because I would like to drink some whiskey or beer with Dime. ha ha ha ha.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I think I would be a tiger. It is a bit mystic and graceful but at the same time it's scary.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People might listen to our music because of the weird genre we create. We mix old rock with modern metal, alternative rock with Balkanic popular music, pop with folk and so on. But the truth is that we just do what we like and just need you to listen to our music and decide what you think about us.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I'm thinking about Spaceman (it's the red devil on the cover of the album). He's a part of our unreal fairytales world and it would be a hard challenge for anyone especially on the solo part. I've actually never played on those games so I can't exactly say how hard it would be to play it on that weird guitar. I think I wouldn't be able at all...

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
First our fans and friends, because without them it wouldn't have happened. And then all the others: our label, our producer, the distributors…or maybe I would only say "civilization is a fuc*in' failure" like Serj Tankian said a few years ago. That thing gives me shivers every time I hear it. I think that it also depends how you feel in that moment.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
We would like the media to talk a bit more about non commercial music, especially in Italy. Pop and all commercial music are forced and the real music culture is missing - people don't want to discover upcoming bands, no matter what genre. I mean, a new generation that only listens to what they see on tv and radio and don't even know about some essential rock bands. I don't know if this is different in other countries. We need to hear all the music of the world and then we have to decide what to listen to.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I remember a funny thing that happened a few years ago while playing at a small open air festival. It was halfway through the show, I can't remember which song we were playing but it was during a guitar solo, and I jumped off the stage started shakin' around between some crazy fans and barely saw where I was runnin'. Then suddenly a bench appeared in front of me and three or four guys were sitting on it but quickly got up when they realized that I wanted to skip on it. Unfortunately, a girl was sittin' on the other side. Can you imagine what happened next? When I jumped on it, she just bounced away and the bench flew in the air, enough for my brother to see the whole thing from the stage. Fortunately nobody was hurt and that girl became a fan. Now I think: if this is a good way to make fans, we need a lot of benches and big places for playing.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
This is great publicity for us in the States and we consider this a very very important thing. To say thanks a thousand times wouldn't be enough. You have most of the best rock bands in the world, so how can we not be honored to be interviewed by you?

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"So Close." There's something special in this song that makes my blood pump through my veins and makes me feel like I want to break everything!!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
With no doubts, Croatia. With its wonderful sea and wonderful landscapes and pretty girls, it leaves us no choice and makes it one of our favorite vacation places. It is also one of the best places for eating good, fresh fish. Furthermore, it's home for my brother and I, so it's almost our duty to get there once a year at least. Every time we come back from Croatian holidays, we look fatter because of our grandmother's great cooking.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
All the ex-Yugoslavian pop and rock music makes me most remember my childhood. With no stress or bad thoughts we were all just happy. And if there was anything that we had to think about, it was only about playing or who to play with. Wouldn't you like to be a child again if you were given the opportunity? This is one of the thousand sides of music - it has the power to remind you of some past days that you might have forgotten.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would like to create fire. It is something I've been attracted of since I was a child. I also like to watch it while burning - the way it moves, its light and especially the heat. Maybe I subconsciously connect the heat of the fire with the heat of the sun. I always liked the idea of living in hot countries and wished that summer would last forever, but we are living in the mountains where everything is totally different. I mean the winter seems neverending and from year to year it snows less and less, and a winter without snow is like an ocean without water. But we get used to it and maybe one day we'll all be living in a hot place (not hell) somewhere in Hawaii between two palms, a cocktail in hand while listening to an ukulele.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not yet actually. Not that I don't believe in our band and in our music, but I simply think that we still have a lot of things to do and a lot of gigs to play. It takes time, but I think we are on the right road and started in a good way. Hoping for a bit of luck and everything is gonna be fine.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Many people don't know that my brother and I are Croatians despite our unusual names. Another thing that nobody knows is that Kreso was approached to be a model and he refused because he said that being or acting like a model would be really uncomfortable to him. He preferred music.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
I say Croatia again. We get there every year with our friends, and every time the town changes so we see different places. There's always a lot of fun, so it would be such a traumatic thing not going there this year.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
It might sound strange, but we all love rallying. At every opportunity we get to see the competitions, we take a grill, some steaks and beer, and in the end watching cars seems to be the only thing that we don't care about. And when there is no rally competition to go to, we make it by ourselves. We have our small but fast cars and just wait for the first snow to come. Then we go pulling handbrakes and pushing the gas as much as we can. But please don't tell this anybody because it's illegal, ok? Thank you!

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I think none. And if I have any, I still have to discover them. I hope it happens quickly because we only have one short life…haha. Kreso plays other instruments than keyboards, like drums and guitar. He also likes painting. He made the first drawings of the Unreal FairyTales cover and then Malte Zirbel from Black Bullet Tattoo redesigned and illustrated it.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests