AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Oliver Trolley - Circles Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.63
Production 10
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Oliver Trolley - Circles

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (03/14/11)
Oliver Trolley - Circles
Record Company: Gas Can Music
Release Date: March 29, 2011

There was a time when the radio was dominated by gushy bubblegum pop rock music. Bands like Hanson, Third Eye Blind, and Smash Mouth ruled the airwaves. You definitely had your select few female star sensations (Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera to name a couple) but nothing like it is now. Today when you turn on your radio, you'll find it polluted (I don't use this word lightly) with electronic nonsense like Lady GaGa and Kesha. However, every so often, you'll find an album to take you back to the days when music ruled and America's idols didn't focus on image as opposed to quality (at least, for the most part).

Oliver Trolley is a relatively new and unheard of band that recently signed to the equally new and unheard of Gas Can Music label. The first album they sent me didn't really catch my attention. With Trolley's debut EP Circles, they have my attention. This six-track EP is filled with infectious pop rock that gets into your mind and doesn't leave for days. Opener "Livin' My Life" plays just like a Smash Mouth song, filled with summer-friendly guitars, and bob-your-head lyrics. It's an instant standout, and should hook anyone's attention right from the first line.

"Maybe I Could Tell" and title track "Circles" are perfect radio-friendly songs, especially the latter. The former feels like a Third Eye Blind song, while the latter features a catchy-as-hell chorus that will ensure multiple repeats. "Way Too Fast" is the highlight of the release, featuring a very impressive vocal display from Kevin Childs and company. "Face to Face" and "Gettin' Loud" are simply meh tracks that, while appropriately placed on the album, feel like nothing more than filler tracks.

Production is extremely impressive here, and musically, while nothing overly spectacular, the band achieves an excellent summer sound that will instantly make them accessible.

Overall, Oliver Trolley may be new, but they're already making some of the catchiest pop rock I've heard this year, and while this may only last the summer as far as popularity goes, I have a feeling that with time, this band will rule future summer pop charts and infect everyone with their undeniably fun sound.

Recommended If You LikeUmm... summer music, any of the bands I mentioned above

Solid TracksLivin' My Life, Circles, Way Too Fast

Band MembersKevin Childs - Vocals/Guitar
Brian Zanini - Piano/Keys/Vocals
Adam Lopez - Guitar/Vocals
Alex Lopez - Bass
Brian Meyer - Drums

Oliver Trolley's Myspace
Buy It

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
10:40 PM on 08/21/11
kevinleechilds
User Info.
Since my name is also Kevin Childs, I'm probably a little biased, but overall the production value is outstanding. I spent more than 30 years in and around the radio and broadcasting fields, and this sound belongs on playlists across the nation. A&R should get off their asses and get this added. I look forward to Kevin and his cohorts to further enhance the name Kevin Childs.

By the way, that picture you see is of me interviewing Ray Charles in 1977. Had more hair back then; a much younger Kevin Childs.

That's all from this end...

Kevin Childs (The Broadcaster and older version)
09:42 PM on 08/28/11
HeadSock
User Info.
I wish I had paid attention to this back in March. I just heard about these guys this month and love the music. It turns out that I went to high school with two of these guys. Theyve been on that Kardashian show for consecutive weeks too so maybe that is getting them some publicity now.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests