Username
Password
Microsoft News - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 132.
03:42 PM on 03/17/11
The Fool
http://diggin-graves.blogspot.com/
User Info.
Okay, I see what you're saying I believe. I think you're saying that Apple might continue to put out new versions of the iPod semi-frequently as they do now (which I am certain they will) but that they won't be as innovative, i.e. there won't be that much different about them because there is no competition?

That makes sense, but the only problem is that that argument is based upon the premise that the Zune was in fact a legitimate competitor, which quite frankly it wasn't.

In that chart Zune isn't even the #1 competitor to the iPod. That chart is from 2007, but the article states that last year iPod had 77% of the digital media player market, so the Zune HD obviously didn't change Apple's foothold much.
I'd say a lot has changed since January 2007. Zune has since been integrated into the XBOX360 and all smart phones that operate on Windows Phone 7 -- both of which greatly expanded the reach of the Zune Marketplace. Also, the Zune launched in November 2006, so achieving 3.2% of the total digital music sales after less than three months is pretty remarkable.
03:43 PM on 03/17/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
I've never seen a Zune in action so I'm completely unaware of the menus and such on them, so in what way are they easier to use than an ipod, because ipod menus to me are so basic (legit quesiton I'm interested to hear the answer to - not being a cock)
to me, it really boils down yo your opinion and i'm pretty biased since i've been using zune since 2007, but for one the software is much more lightweight and easier to use than itunes, and they have had the zune pass, which is unlimited downloads for 15 dollars a month something the apple still doesn't have. and the player itself, even though the 160gigs/the first players are like bricks, you were able to send music from your zune to another one, and imo i liked how they layed out the menus more than on the ipod. it was more visual and easier for me to use, but to each his own really, since an ipod isn't complicated either. the only thing i hate about apple is the itunes program honestly
03:43 PM on 03/17/11
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
i don't exactly understand why microsoft didn't market this better, if you've ever used a zune hd you'd know it was just so much easier than an ipod. really wasn't the Zune's fault, it could've been a serious contender/alternative to the ipod, but they were just so shitty at marketing this that it was sad. I just hope mine doesn't break anytime soon i really don't want to be forced to get an ipod.

Edit: you know what i always hated the most about ipods, that fucking clicking noise it makes when you scroll through the artists, makes me wanna pull my hair out
...You're not serious about the clicking noise are you?
03:46 PM on 03/17/11
kidinthebushes
User Info.
Still rocking my CD player.
03:47 PM on 03/17/11
The Fool
http://diggin-graves.blogspot.com/
User Info.
Additionally, according to this source the Zune is not quite dead. It claims that the hardware released for 2010/2011 was not a standalone player as in previous years, but it was actually the WP7 series. And the possibility of future releases have neither been confirmed nor denied officially by Microsoft. It's kind of jumping the gun a bit to say the Zune is dead.
03:47 PM on 03/17/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
...You're not serious about the clicking noise are you?
its just a pet peeve man
03:48 PM on 03/17/11
atticus18244fss
reddit.com/r/blink182
User Info.
Okay, I see what you're saying I believe. I think you're saying that Apple might continue to put out new versions of the iPod semi-frequently as they do now (which I am certain they will) but that they won't be as innovative, i.e. there won't be that much different about them because there is no competition?

That makes sense, but the only problem is that that argument is based upon the premise that the Zune was in fact a legitimate competitor, which quite frankly it wasn't.

In that chart Zune isn't even the #1 competitor to the iPod. That chart is from 2007, but the article states that last year iPod had 77% of the digital media player market, so the Zune HD obviously didn't change Apple's foothold much.
As the other guy said things did change a lot since 2007 since the Zune HD only came out like last year. I'd say as of recently Zune probably was holding 10% while everyone was holding 5% max total together. And Apple was holding 85% or whatever the stat is. No matter what Apple will always release new iPods every September but when you have even Apple fanboys impressed by the Zune HD, that would force Apple to start adopting higher res screen and a new better gui.
03:49 PM on 03/17/11
Chris Collum
User Info.
its just a pet peeve man
Holy fuck you're dumb. That can be turned off.
03:50 PM on 03/17/11
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
this sucks. i got my zune hd for $145, and i love it way more than my old ipod. it's way more reliable, better software.
03:50 PM on 03/17/11
atticus18244fss
reddit.com/r/blink182
User Info.
its just a pet peeve man
thanks for providing me with my daily face palm and small sense of losing hope in humanity.
03:51 PM on 03/17/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
i'm not going to get into it with some random ap user, but i clearly said that i know that. about 2 pages back, calm down man
03:53 PM on 03/17/11
natalieruthless
nerdfighter.
User Info.
i started getting zunes after my ipod nano broke after having it for only a few months. i got a zune and it lasted me years. last summer i bought a zune hd and i havent had any problems with it. i find the zune software much easier to use compared to itunes. i really wish that microsoft had marketed zunes better because im really happy with mine and i have never considered going back to ipods...
Chris Collum
User Info.
thanks for providing me with my daily face palm and small sense of losing hope in humanity.
Anytime bro.

Anyway, well competition is good yes, but if the Zune goes under, I think it will just increase Sandisk and Creative's sales more than anything, because I would imagine that the vast majority of people who bought the Zune HD were people who are semi-well-informed about technology and have some kind of issue with the iPod. Point is, there is still that 23% that someone (well a group of someones) who is not Apple is going to hold.
dogsizedbirdIII
ap.net legend est. 2008
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Without competition Apple has no reason to continue improving iPods at a quick rate. Competition=good.
except for that there's no need for apple to produce them at as quick a rate as in the past anymore. 160GB iPod Classic = good enough for most.
03:59 PM on 03/17/11
atticus18244fss
reddit.com/r/blink182
User Info.
except for that there's no need for apple to produce them at as quick a rate as in the past anymore. 160GB iPod Classic = good enough for most.
i'm talking more about the touch and nano. the classic will likely stick around for one more generation at most. it's days are numbered.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests