AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
The Almost - Southern Weather Album Cover

The Almost - Southern Weather

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
THE ALMOST - Southern Weather

Over the past few years, many lead singers from various bands have started up their own solo project, and while it’s not a new concept, it has been gaining steam recently in the scene. From Dustin Kensrue to Gabe Saporta, some have had great success (Chris Carrabba and Ben Gibbard) to not so much (Claudio Sanchez). Regardless of end results, though, many artists still try their hand at the solo career. The latest to try his luck is Underoath drummer and vocalist Aaron Gillespie, who will be releasing his solo debut, Southern Weather, under the name The Almost through the collaborate efforts of Virgin and Tooth & Nail Records.

Birthed in Salt Lake City, Southern Weather is a collection of 11 songs that span a variety of different vibes from upbeat pop-rock to quiet, somber pieces. Gillespie recorded every instrument by himself, save for some bass help on a few tracks, courtesy of The Starting Line’s Kenny Vasoli. Gillespie also has some vocal help from the aforementioned Vasoli and Sunny Day Real Estate’s Jeremy Enigk. And while all this looks good on a press release, what it comes down to is the execution on the album. Are The Almost poised to follow the paths set before them from the previously mentioned artists, or is Southern Weather a natural disaster you’ll want to avoid?

The first single and opening track of the album, “Say This Sooner,” is a stunning rocker. “Drive There Now!” is full of anxiety, while “Dirty And Left Out” is a calm and religious acoustic track that features Enigk on vocals. While the next track, “I Mostly Copy Other People,” which features the vocal talents of Vasoli. While musically it’s very similar to “Drive There Now!,” the vocal harmonies of Gillespie and Vasoli are very pleasing. “If Your Favour Is Small, I’m Perfect” is a rabid, unyielding song with a crushing chorus.

Sandwiched between two generic pop songs (“Stop It!” and “Everyone Here Smells Like A Rat”) is the uplifting “Amazing Because It Is.” Gillespie’s vocal strains channel Carrabba, while the timely placed horns and used of well-known hymn “Amazing Grace” as the chorus are reminiscent of a Sufjan Stevens song. Add in a Church Choir and climatic finish, and you have the best track on Weather.

The energy returns on “Never Say I Told You So” and “Call Me Back When I’m Honest”, which could both be mistaken musically as Louder Now b-sides. The final track “Everything Makes Me Sick” starts out with a carnival-inspired noise until the guitars kick in and closes out the album very weakly.

The first word that came to my mind after my initial listen of Weather was “catchy.” The second word that followed was “inconsistent.” There are a few very strong tracks (“Amazing Because It Is,” “Dirty And Left Out,” and “I Mostly Copy Other People” for example) but an equal amount of tracks appearing on Southern Weather come off as generic and tend to blend together. Southern Weather is not a bad debut album by any means, but knowing how talented Aaron Gillespie is leaves me wanting more. But vocally, Gillespie proves he can handle being the front man in any band, and Southern Weather heavy on hooks and magnificently produced by Aaron Sprinkle, so those into the pop-rock sound will most definitely enjoy it.
Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Say This Sooner
2. Drive There Now!
3. Dirty and Left Out
4. I Mostly Copy Other People
5. If Your Favour Is Small, I'm Perfect
6. Stop It!
7. Amazing Because It Is
8. Everyone Here Smells Like A Rat
9. Never Say I Told You So
10. Call Me Back When I'm Honest
11. Everything Makes Me Sick
Produced by: Aaron Sprinkle

The Almost is:
Aaron Gillespie

Release Date: April 3, 2007
Record Label: Virgin Records/Tooth & Nail
Official Website;Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 72
09:35 PM on 03/20/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
FYI: This album will only be $7.99 first week at Best Buy.
09:46 PM on 03/20/07
kbauer
BOAN.
User Info.
Good review. From the 4 songs Ive heard off of Southern Weather, one word comes to mind for me, generic. Aaron Gilipse is a great vocalist but he could do a lot better, or atleast put more creative effort into this project. This stuff bores me, but the scene kidz will love it as theyve been clammering for it. For over a year now the buzz has been buidling for this, and I have a feeling its going to put up big numbers, almost Underoath numbers, oh geeze no pun intended.
10:17 PM on 03/20/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Quote:
Sandwiched between two generic pop songs (“Stop It!” and “Everyone Here Smells Like A Rat”)

:-D
Funny how those are my two favorite songs off the album. Good review though.

FYI - track number 5 was re-named to "Southern Weather".
10:24 PM on 03/20/07
Riot Like Words
We got it all!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sucks he got upscaled to a label that no longer exists..
10:27 PM on 03/20/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
didnt know this was the dude from Underoath, I dont care for that band, maybe I will dig this. good review.
10:55 PM on 03/20/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I'd probably rate this record the same. I think there's some real solid tracks on there, but nothing really standout.
10:56 PM on 03/20/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
and this is why josh scogin is the best in the genre of bible thumping jesus artists...

pretty sure you try too hard.
11:01 PM on 03/20/07
boldt_action
User Info.
I'm anxious to hear it.
11:09 PM on 03/20/07
joelibyan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
and this is why josh scogin is the best in the genre of bible thumping jesus artists...
im gonna go look that genre up on wikipedia and see what i find...
11:17 PM on 03/20/07
NixSantos
User Info.
I'm definitely looking forward to this record. Good review.
11:22 PM on 03/20/07
NoAvailBrian
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
did, "They Say You Can Need" not make the record? I didn't really like that one from the demos i've got
11:23 PM on 03/20/07
namembal
Sing me spanish techno
User Info.
Nice. I can't wait to hear what it's gonna sound like...
11:29 PM on 03/20/07
XBurnedDesireX
All the way from Noraz
User Info.
i want to listen to this......
11:34 PM on 03/20/07
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
i'm excited for it

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News