AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Upset Victory - 03.15.11

Interviewed by
The Upset Victory - 03.15.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Upset Victory

www.theupsetvictory.com
www.facebook.com/theupsetvictory
www.myspace.com/theupsetvictory

1. How did you get your band name?
Our guitarist/vocalist Frank came up with the title one day at rehearsal. It was definitely the best name out of the options we exhausted. In the end it worked out nicely. We consider ourselves underdogs in some respects.

2. How did this band get started?

Like most, out of the ashes of previous projects/bands. Frank, our guitarist/vocalist was in a band called Better Luck Next Year as the front man. After that dissolved Spencer (bass) and Stephen (guitar) consulted with Frank and decided to start TUV. The three of us haven't slowed down since early '07.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Everything really. People say that but we truly mean that. We have an eclectic taste in music. Everything from folk, blues like Robert Johnson, to Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden and a lot of punk bands we grew up listening to like the Descendants, NoFx, and Strung Out.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I'd say Thin Lizzy just because Phil Lynott was so under-rated and influential when it came to his song-writing. Thin Lizzy really implemented the dueling harmonized guitars well and many bands like Maiden would model their style after that. It probably was pretty insane to have toured in the 1980's.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Anything not fast food.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Talking about one's self can be detrimental so I'll keep it brief. Basically guitar nerds would like us because at the end of the day we are guitar nerds. We love dueling guitars, however, I think we take into consideration how important melodies, vocals, lyrics, and song-writing 101 fits in the fold. I think listeners would appreciate our honesty and the sincerity we put into all of our songs.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Dr. Julius "J" Erving or Boomer

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Without a doubt our close knit TUV family that's helped us out along the way which includes all of our old-school fans.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Piracy. Stealing music isn't just affecting artists it's affecting the industry as a whole, completely re-shaping the landscape, and the smaller underpaid engineers, sound guys, interns, and local producers are unfortunately feeling the brunt of said impact. Not everyone are rock stars and pirating music is affecting the "smaller" people in a much more negative way than the higher ups, despite popular belief to the contrary.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Getting to play in front of new faces and feeling new reactions to the music.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

A strong community of passionate music lovers.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Currently, "Actions", off our newest release, The Awakening.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Japan

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Skate Punk

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Ability to fly

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Warm up, play at least 30 minutes of scale patterns, stretch

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I produced indie films

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think if pay to play was out the door it'd be a real game change. Let listeners have a little more control. Not everyone wants to shell out a few hundred dollars for satellite radio. But once satellite does become the standard, which I think it will if not something comparable to it will, then bands of all size and caliber will have more of a chance to be heard and "make it".

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Film and produce video

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I speak French

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums