AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 13
Displaying posts 180 - 195 of 351.
05:43 PM on 03/29/11
arson
User Info.
I'm ridiculously anxious to hear this record now.
05:50 PM on 03/29/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Damn high rating Drew! So stoked!
06:31 PM on 03/29/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
How long do the reviewers have the albums before the reviews come out? I think a big problem with reviews in general is they are reviewing new/fresh music that they are excited about, so they are less likely to criticize it or have a fair/accurate judgement on it. I realize they probably get them as early as possible and are limited in time to write the review...

I'm not saying it's their fault at all. I know the first few weeks I'll agree with this score. Next few months I'll probably think it's a little steep.

I really don't think you should do away with the 0-100%, I think it just needs tweaking. I think when the actual percentage is displayed would solve the problem.

I'd even be interested in reading some of the reviewers re-review or revisit some of their reviews from years past. Whether they stand by it, opinions changed, and re-score it.
It depends. Drew's had this album longer than I have and I've had it over a month and played it 20+ times. I don't think there is a case of a reviewer holding back from criticizing something they want to criticize. I've never seen that problem. Fair/accurate in a "review" like this is going to be subjective. It's fair and accurate to the reviewer at the time of writing. That's good enough for me. If they feel differently next year - that just means they're human and like all of us. I like music differently depending on countless factors.
06:49 PM on 03/29/11
kylemiller
Kyle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
mad good.

Check this out, might like it:

http://www.facebook.com/thrillsnj
06:58 PM on 03/29/11
anamericangod
User Info.
Awful lot of fuss for a band I've never even heard of.

Which record should I start with: Waiting, Kill The House Lights, or should I just get this one when it leaks? Are they as good as Brand New or Chiodos?
07:03 PM on 03/29/11
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
Awful lot of fuss for a band I've never even heard of.

Which record should I start with: Waiting, Kill The House Lights, or should I just get this one when it leaks? Are they as good as Brand New or Chiodos?
Not gonna lie, I lol'd hard when I read that.

Also, not nearly as good as chiodos.
07:07 PM on 03/29/11
anamericangod
User Info.

Well, are we talking about Chiodos with or without Jonny Owens?
07:08 PM on 03/29/11
Spartan789013
User Info.
Well, are we talking about Chiodos with or without Jonny Owens?
with Jonny Owens. But I refer to him as Craig Craig.
07:24 PM on 03/29/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Which is my biggest problem with the scores. In the new website I am definitely moving to a 1-10 score system. And part of me is playing with some ideas of how or when to even show a score to begin with. Some A-B testing is definitely in order ... but I am giving it a lot of thought because I hate reading review comments where people talk about the score more than the music or the review. That bugs me.
To be honest, I'd keep scores. But yes, 1-10 should definitely be used.
08:21 PM on 03/29/11
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.
I hope this is the record that finally moves Thursday up in my opinion from great to amazing.

Also,
Which is my biggest problem with the scores. In the new website I am definitely moving to a 1-10 score system. And part of me is playing with some ideas of how or when to even show a score to begin with. Some A-B testing is definitely in order ... but I am giving it a lot of thought because I hate reading review comments where people talk about the score more than the music or the review. That bugs me.

In my humble, speck of sand on the beach opinion, scores shouldn't be shown before albums are released to the public. I'm all for hearing someone's impression of an album, but I'd much rather have some kind of aggregate scoring system from the users than the reviewer's one number being up there for weeks before anybody else has even laid ears on the majority of the tracks. I realize AP has the "member score" already, but I feel like a group of malicious members could easily jack up or drastically lower a score. I'd rather there be some kind of writing requirement in order to review it, so that if people were going to be malicious they'd at least have to go through a lot of effort.
08:22 PM on 03/29/11
MALKiiN
User Info.
that score means i should be able to have this on repeat, find new awesome stuff in it each of my first few listens, and just not get bored with it. i love atmospheric/ambient music but too much is overkill for me sometimes. i shall see.

i haven't listened to any of their new songs, i'll give one a listen right now since it got such a good rating.
08:28 PM on 03/29/11
signal to noise
User Info.
the funniest part is how people are SURPRISED that Thursday would get a 98%. Have ya fuckin heard this band?? I, personally, am butthurt they didnt get a 99%.
08:33 PM on 03/29/11
iaminsane20
SUNY Cortland '15
User Info.
yeah i think he plays the shows close to home, to my knowledge their touring bassist is the guitarist from Acid Tiger i think his name is Lukas Previn, he also plays with La Dispute sometimes.

Yeah Lukas does it. He played with them on the DEP tour in 09, but then Tim played the holiday show. Lukas also plays in United Nations.
08:35 PM on 03/29/11
liveloud4life
User Info.

Sarcasm?
08:42 PM on 03/29/11
Spartan789013
User Info.
At least you picked up on it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News