AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Alt Press News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Alt Press on Sexism

Posted by - 01:05 PM on 03/29/11
Alternative Press has an article about sexism in the music industry, written in response to last week's incident involving Ben Weasel, here.

Submitted by theotheryabs

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 74
01:07 PM on 03/29/11
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
im liking these altpress articles, this one's alright too.
01:09 PM on 03/29/11
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I haven't read this yet but I'm sure it's pretty good.

I know a lot of people have already read this, but here's Lauren Denitzio (formerly of The Measure [SA]) and an article she wrote a while ago about sexism in the punk scene that's also very good: http://ilivesweat.tumblr.com/post/29...auren-denitzio
01:11 PM on 03/29/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
They write really good articles. They just have a tendency to give the wrong bands cover stories.
01:15 PM on 03/29/11
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
Out of curiosity, has Fat Mike or Fat Wreck Chords as a whole made any sort of statement regarding the Ben Weasel incident?

Personally, I think that a statement from them would be appropriate. It is the difference between the label's super-liberal message being genuine or complete bullshit.
01:20 PM on 03/29/11
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Out of curiosity, has Fat Mike or Fat Wreck Chords as a whole made any sort of statement regarding the Ben Weasel incident?

Personally, I think that a statement from them would be appropriate. It is the difference between the label's super-liberal message being genuine or complete bullshit.
Fat Mike said on his Twitter that he heard rumors that people thought the incident was funny, and that he in fact thought it was lame. Of course, he also has no problem calling women "cunted cunts", so his message is already a bit twisty. I would be hesitant to say that Fat Wreck, as a whole, has a "super-liberal message"... the only stance I remember them taking on any issue are those two Rock Against Bush compilations, which I don't necessarily feel fall into the category of "super-liberal".
01:25 PM on 03/29/11
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
Good read but it's pretty funny that a lot of the bands AP promotes are metalcore bands with incredibly misogynistic lyrics.
01:26 PM on 03/29/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I knew at least one of those Black Veil Brides was a girl.

But I love talented women in bands, and dislike misogynistic lyrics. Solid article.
01:30 PM on 03/29/11
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
Fat Mike said on his Twitter that he heard rumors that people thought the incident was funny, and that he in fact thought it was lame. Of course, he also has no problem calling women "cunted cunts", so his message is already a bit twisty. I would be hesitant to say that Fat Wreck, as a whole, has a "super-liberal message"... the only stance I remember them taking on any issue are those two Rock Against Bush compilations, which I don't necessarily feel fall into the category of "super-liberal".
I see what you're saying. However, i think it is pretty obvious where Fat Mike, if not Fat Wreck Chords, stands politically. He is very outspoken when it comes to trashing Christian bands like Underoath who have done nothing to hurt anyone but when a band that is signed to his label performs a violent act towards multiple women he isn't as outspoken.

I think I am going to start a thread in the General forum about this, I feel like it is worth discussing.
01:35 PM on 03/29/11
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
I see what you're saying. However, i think it is pretty obvious where Fat Mike, if not Fat Wreck Chords, stands politically. He is very outspoken when it comes to trashing Christian bands like Underoath who have done nothing to hurt anyone but when a band that is signed to his label performs a violent act towards multiple women he isn't as outspoken.

I think I am going to start a thread in the General forum about this, I feel like it is worth discussing.
I don't think it'd be far to say that he's definitely a liberal just because he trashes christian bands, or that hes not out spoken about this. Democrats don't condone trashing religion or abusing women. that is just being an asshole not a political stance
01:39 PM on 03/29/11
JonnyJonnyJonny
Jonny - TMTMM/Flavorsaurus
User Info.
If God wanted equality he shouldn't have given girls boobies.
01:41 PM on 03/29/11
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
I don't think it'd be far to say that he's definitely a liberal just because he trashes christian bands, or that hes not out spoken about this. Democrats don't condone trashing religion or abusing women. that is just being an asshole not a political stance
Haha, i don't know about that man, I think it is pretty safe to say that he is a liberal guy. I am not saying that just because he trashed a Christian band he is a liberal, I think that there is a lot of evidence of Fat Mike being a radical liberal.

And I am not saying that there is something wrong with that either. I am just saying that if he is going to be so judgmental with people who don't believe the same things he does, and call them out on it, he needs to point that finger of judgement towards a musician in his community and give them the same scrutiny.
01:47 PM on 03/29/11
Momo32T
User Info.
I found this article very poignant, well written and well researched. Definitely didn't expect something like this in Alt Press. For some of the crap they put out, this still makes them relevant in my book.
01:47 PM on 03/29/11
Under The Knife
User Info.
That'll teach them from leaving the kitchen next time.
01:49 PM on 03/29/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
this girl can write! love her articles.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT