AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
GDP - Useless Eaters Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

GDP - Useless Eaters

Reviewed by: Ian Walker (03/29/11)
GDP - Useless Eaters
Record Label: Run For Cover Records
Release Date: March 29, 2011

Hailing from the saturated tri-state area surrounding New Jersey, GDP has quickly made a name for himself the best way possible: being unique. His years of hard work produced tours with the Wu-Tang Clan and RZA as well as Tame One, where he was able to spread his message of an unfair present leading to a bleak future. GDP's unapologetic caricatures of today's most prevailing personality flaws is sure to make him just as many enemies as friends, but I doubt that bothers him much. His latest album is as forward as they come, and he pulls no punches as he targets importanat societal concerns.

Useless Eaters wastes no time getting started, setting off on a fast pace with the very first track. “Neural Circuitry” is a cynical view on the over-the-top party atmosphere prevalent in today's social scene, set ablaze by GDP's venomous lyricism and bass-filled production peppered with obvious electronic influences. “Too high to die!” GDP exclaims, conjuring a Charlie Sheen-esque personality that seems more a parody than an actual mission statement. It's apparent that this first track was meant to make a statement, and “Neural Circuitry” sets the tempo for the whole album.

A few tracks later, “Carbon Footprint” acts as another of GDP's soapboxes, as he talks on the movement to become green and make less of an impact on the world around us. Led by a solid beat and old-school funk samples, GDP razes both the government and the major corporations they seem to serve for allowing so many harmful contaminants make their way into our environment without even a twinge of remorse. His mistrust of the government is continued later with the ironically named “Don't Worry About the Government,” as he makes note of no-fly watch lists and FEMA camps with reckless abandon. On an album filled to the brim with intense production, “Government” feels a bit reserved when compared to GDP's lyrics, but it's a welcome reprieve and makes the message the center stage.

Many of the tracks on Useless Eater bounce along at an eager pace, but at the same time carry a mistrusting air that seems to be GDP's most defining characteristic. No other track showcases this as perfectly as “Social Enema,” who's lyrics match the title almost perfectly. The production is dirty with rhymes to match, detailing the lonely side of drug addiction that rarely sees the light of day. Pistol of SlangCorp is featured in a short verse, a strong showing overall but completely outmatched by GDP's superior flow and lyrical style.

Useless Eaters was my first experience with GDP and his unique style, but it was a nice surprise. With Definitive Jux going on hiatus and many of it's core artists leaving for greener pastures, there was a bit of a hole left that hasn't been filled since. This album and GDP himself are a perfect substitute for what was lost, as every beat and lyric carry the same paranoid yet confident atmosphere that made their music so compelling. While the production doesn't vary much from track to track, it's solid and doesn't detract from GDP's fascinating lyricism. Useless Eaters is a dark, unhinged journey through GDP's mind, harsh while still remaining focused and mature. Dive into this one as soon as possible.

Track Listing1. Neural Circuitry
2. Quintuplets
3. Carbon Footprints
4. Little Boxes
5. Don't Worry About the Government
6. Oxypolicontin
7. Social Enema
8. Holy Grail
9. All My Friends Are On Meds
10. Bianthanatos
11. Someday When Things Are Good

Official Website | Official AbsolutePunk Profile | "Neural Circuitry" Music Video

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
04:18 PM on 03/29/11
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
album is pretty solid. Was highly anticipating this one, but have only heard it like twice so far so would need a few more listens to make my final opinion. His previous album is much better thus far, but like I said give me a couple more tries
07:39 PM on 03/29/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I've been meaning to check out GDP will do for sure now!
10:52 PM on 03/30/11
Rodeo
User Info.
Album of the year contender. So evil.

Track 11 is a MONSTER.
01:42 PM on 06/07/12
honeycomb135
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I made an account just for this. This journalism is garbage. Saying gdp outskills pete? fuck you man, they are both extremelly talented in different ways. what was your meaning in pointing that out specifically? pete makes that track what it is. suck my dick
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests