AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Stand Up Get Down - We Have Something to Celebrate Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 89%

Stand Up Get Down - We Have Something to Celebrate

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (03/24/07)
Stand Up Get Down - We Have Something to Celebrate
Released March 6th, 2007
Topshelf Records

Braid’s younger and noticeably sedated brother just arrived. I’d like you all to give him a warm welcome. His name is Stand Up Get Down.

Yeah…

It’s not that I don’t like making comparisons; it’s just that the listener goes into gauging the prescribed band with false hopes and a viable resource to lash back at if the reviewer is wrong. Keep We Have Something To Celebrate’s influences and similarities in mind though and you’ll see just how great Stand Up Get Down alter the very basis for the album into a somewhat quirky, completely exciting ten-song release.

It’s was really lead vocalist Chris Dunne who first drew me in. He has a sort of charisma reminiscent of The Promise Ring’s Davey vonBohlen; a vocal projection that could pass off for someone singing in the shower. Once I got passed my first impressions, the band really started growing on me. Easily passable as a young band with merely one listen, the naivety that would obviously plague a band of this age does just the opposite. It sort of embeds itself in the humor of the guitar hooks, playing off of the band’s lighthearted measure with a riveting enthusiasm for the comical side of intricacy. It’s captivating to hear such a unique sound from band whose members still call High-School “home”. They have an ear for cohesive collaboration that sometimes takes bands much older than themselves to grasp. But, this cohesiveness is unified through a very youthful bounce; a style I haven’t heard nearly as perfected since Cap’n Jazz’s “Oh Messy Life”. The lyrical aspect to this album impresses as well. Dunne self-assuredly rides with, “The roach and A-bomb will shake hands/Parting words never meant much to them/They love to perpetuate the myth/That your heart is the same size as your fist” on one of the stronger songs on the album, “The Staring Contest Won With Pennies”. The track just has so much heart and the guitars harmonies are irresistible. It also accentuates the very jazzy approach of bassist Steve Dunne and the subtleties of drummer Mike Benoit innovative style.

“My Life In a Balloon and the Day it Burst” starts the album off appropriately with a noise-rock influenced escalation; a sound they ultimately ditch by maintain somewhat through numerous instrumental bridges and outros. I think those moments are where the band truly shines with their unique ability to feel each other out while keeping their ventures within the context of their wildly exciting finesse. The album as a whole is strangely addictive and will find itself in your stereo quite often, no matter its initial impact on you.

We Have Something to Celebrate has, well, given me something to celebrate. It’s a callback to the Midwestern scene that scraps a little off of Minus the Bear and Q And Not U as it goes. Stand Up Get Down are quite a refreshing find, which shouldn’t be unexpected given their list of influences. Anticipate nothing but good things with this release.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
09:48 PM on 03/25/07
evilandgood
User Info.
another great band i have found because of one of your awesome reviews!
scott, you're the man
10:18 PM on 03/25/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
another great band i have found because of one of your awesome reviews!
scott, you're the man

Thanks man. You really need to check out the entire album to fully get my Braid comparison. These guys are def. great. Thanks for checking them out, they deserve it.
05:42 AM on 03/26/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Three things. 1). excellent review as always. 2). thank you for the recommendation! This band is awesome. 3). How come you keep getting all these sweet releases that sound like Braid and what not? You are one lucky man haha
07:47 AM on 03/26/07
KeepRockinOn
User Info.
Scott, This review excites me!
08:08 AM on 03/26/07
Peter1987
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
check out aeroplane, 1929 too. same label as these guys, and just as awesome.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests