AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Omega Experiment, The - Karma Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 87%

Omega Experiment, The - Karma

Reviewed by: Sean Rizzo (03/31/11)
The Omega Experiment - Karma
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: January 31, 2011

Who?

The Omega Experiment is a two man progressive metal project consisting of Dan Wieten and Ryan Aldridge out of Muskegon, Michigan, founded in 2007 and transitioned from solo to duo in 2009. Their influences range everywhere from classic rock, to 80s pop, to every sort of metal under the sun. And it shows. Their debut album, as of yet untitled, will be released sometime in late spring or early summer of this year. For now, well just have to enjoy their sampler EP, Karma.

How is it?

Fun, fast, intense, and positively addicting. Just like a good adventure game. In fact, Karma would make an amazing soundtrack to a Sonic game. The Omega Experiment takes the blisteringly fast-paced technical shredding of your standard everyday djent/prog metal band and kicks it into overdrive, with even more adept use of electronic effects, ranging everywhere from sharp and ambient tones to frantic, adrenaline-pumping beats and ear candy synth lines. The EPs power metal style vocals rise high and maintain a commanding stalwart on the listener's attention, occasionally changing it up with an interestingly bizarre spoken word portion. Catchy, entrancing choruses and drawn out, atmospheric belting infuse each track. Metal fans everywhere might complain about most of the growling being for effect purposes and the vocal modification of the singing. However, these changes are purely innovative, greatly enhancing the music's effect and only serving to set the band further ahead of the curve. Lyrically, the meaning of each song is pretty cryptic which leaves a lot of room for individual interpretation; never a bad thing.

Although it's mostly quite a young genre, djent is already becoming heavily hyped and heavily bandwagoned as a result, which has been clogging up the prog metal scene lately. I've seen djent bands form seemingly out of thin air, attempting to ride on the waves of their predecessors, with few making any sort of progression forward from the offerings of Periphery, Keith Merrow, Animals As Leaders, and the like. The Omega Experiment are the first progressive metal band I've found so far to truly run counter to the djent trend and offer something completely new. Karma has such a unique feel to it that I would recommend it even to people who don't typically enjoy heavy music. I absolutely cannot wait for their upcoming album, and Karma will probably be on repeat on my iTunes for a while until then.

Recommended If You LikeDevin Townsend, Periphery, Sky Eats Airplane, Cloudkicker, Dream Theater, nintendocore, geek metal (yes I just made that up), video game music

External LinksMyspace, Facebook, GET IT FOR FREE ON BANDCAMP

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
02:45 PM on 04/03/11
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Will definitely check this out. Thanks again for the recommend. Good review.
02:53 PM on 04/03/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Will definitely check this out. Thanks again for the recommend. Good review.
You're so welcome, man. I'm completely addicted to this, it's pretty sad. Hahaha.
04:04 PM on 04/03/11
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
what you forgot to put in the RIYL is Devin Townsend, which clearly is their biggest influence BY FAR
05:43 PM on 04/03/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
what you forgot to put in the RIYL is Devin Townsend, which clearly is their biggest influence BY FAR
Whoops! How on earth did I manage to leave that out?! FIXED.
09:54 PM on 04/03/11
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
and they mentioned this review on their facebook so good job on it haha
02:50 PM on 04/04/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
and they mentioned this review on their facebook so good job on it haha
Thank you! Haha. Now I get to lurk for comments.
06:16 PM on 09/04/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the bit about power metal style vocals scares me away a little bit, but i'm checking it out.
09:24 PM on 09/04/11
Rickaly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Heavy parts sound like between the buried and me except sped up.
06:21 PM on 09/05/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
the bit about power metal style vocals scares me away a little bit, but i'm checking it out.
Gotta try everything once.
09:22 PM on 09/05/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gotta try everything once.
No regrets. Went in expecting Dragonforce, I was pleasantly surprised.
09:32 PM on 09/05/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
No regrets. Went in expecting Dragonforce, I was pleasantly surprised.
Good!
05:28 PM on 09/12/11
Rickaly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great EP! Definitely a good djent band. My band has played with soooo many djent wannabe bands lately its getting old. Thanks for doing something different OE!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests