AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Water & Bodies - Light Year Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Water & Bodies - Light Year

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (04/02/11)
Water & Bodies - Light Year
Record Label: Rain City Records
Release Date: February 22, 2011

Who?

Water & Bodies are three-quarters of Kaddisfly: Optimistic, ‘90’s alt-rock wielding dreamers who sing in the key of positive. It’s kind of shocking, to an extent, to hear Christopher Ruff wail about carrying on “a legacy of hope and love” because it’s so rare to hear this kind of spirituality professed by non-religious artists in today’s scene. Yet here we are with Light Year, an album that’s full of it.

How is it?

Musically, Light Year is fickle. I won’t be the first one to point out that Water & Bodies’ alt-rock swag only sometimes works here. They start off strong, rattling off 4 engaging rockers; “Free World’s” soar is easy to get caught up in, and “Moments in a Life’s” start/stop guitars make it a head-bobber. But then the album hits “Echoes,” a mostly inelegant song with a decent chorus, and leaks some momentum. From there on out, Light Year is hit-or-miss. It’s fine – fun, even – when it powers ahead in “1980” and “Lonely Night,” but really crawls when it tries to slow things down (“The Return,” “Written and Read” and “Already Gone”). At times like these, Ruff’s vocals tend to translate as a bit over-dramatic, which is not a good match with the still-developing songwriting.

It’s still exciting to hear lyrics telling us that “we’ve got to live before we die” coming from an album like this though. I don’t like to use the cliché “refreshing” to describe music because, well, it’s a cliché, but it seems that I don’t have much of a choice here: For all the life sucks-isms that permeate throughout today’s rock culture, Water & Bodies are really something refreshing. They don’t have it all figured out sonically on this album, but they do enough to make me want to stick with them as they mature.

Recommended If You LikeIncubus, Coheed and Cambria, Kaddisfly
Track list1. Celebration Song
2. Free World
3. Moments in a Life
4. Parallels
5. Echoes
6. The Return
7. Light Year
8. 1980
9. Lonely Night
10. Written & Read
11. Already Gone

Find Water & Bodies on facebook.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
11:36 PM on 04/02/11
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Great review. I should probably check this out.
08:49 AM on 04/03/11
presdaddy
User Info.
I htink you hit the nail on the head with a lot of these ratings. It's an awesome album, but it's simplicity doesn't lend to a high lasting value. It's the little hidden intricacies in Kaddisfly that make listening to those albums today as good as it was a "Light Year" ago.
09:01 AM on 04/03/11
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
I personally disagree with 'Echoes' and 'Written & Read' being weak songs. They are two of the best in my opinion.
03:11 PM on 04/03/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wants it.
08:19 PM on 04/03/11
lccals
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
After loving Kaddisfly and really liking the first W&B EPs, I was kind of dissappointed with this album on the initial listen. However, it has grown on me after hearing it a couple of times. I also disagree with the reviewer, I think they're at their best on the slower tracks, "Already Gone" and "Written & Read" are, in my opinion, some of the high points of this LP (I absolutely hated Lonely Night since they released it as the first single).
08:28 AM on 04/04/11
lilRIPsta
User Info.
how can Chris Ruff's angelic voice score only a 7?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS