AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Plot In You, The - Wife Beater Ep Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 8
Production 5
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 3
Reviewer Tilt 5.25
Final Verdict: 46%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 6
Creativity 4.75
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Average: 60%

Plot In You, The - Wife Beater Ep

Reviewed by: Richard Maxim (04/02/11)
The Plot In You - Wife Beater EP
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: July 13, 2010

I struggled choosing what I wanted my first review to be on for quite some time. I would like to think that subject matter, as well as lyrical content influence the majority of the decision to why anyone buys music. I'm aware the scene has been declining and with more kids getting their hair dyed aqua blue and wondering why that song had so little breakdowns. The metal-core genre definitely loses some steam. This is the reason I chose this The Plot In You’s Wife Beater EP to review, besides being a breakdown junkie of course.

The Plot In You is a band hailing from Findlay, Ohio. The group was brought together by former Before Their Eyes Guitarist/Vocalist Landon Tewers. A side project while he was fronting now downgraded Before Their Eyes. The band doesn't have much info online as far as a biography goes other than said Debut EP Wife Beater being released on In Vogue Records and since then have signed to Rise Records to work on their debut Full-Length with a vague 2011 release scheduled.

I want to start off by saying that you will be able to decide how you feel about this band right away, What you see is what you get. Do not expect to be surprised by anything at the same time that isn’t such a bad thing for some of you. If you simply aren't interested in anything substantial, But if you are content with just being able to disrespect your surroundings (saw what I did there?) and bob your head endlessly then this will excite you. If that is the case then I implore you to look deeper that the saturated swamp that is the Rise Records horse stable and listen closer. For anyone ready to stomp on newborn babies from the get-go, Take your puppy to the backyard and skip to Bleeders.

Landon's vocals are relentlessly harsh all throughout and go wonderfully with the aggressive tone of the songs. As he exclaims "I've been in here for three months and fourteen days. You've managed to disfigure me, I'm already ruined." over an unforgiving double pedal beat down only breaking in between to leave space for the continuously retracting riffage laid down by Anthony Thoma and Josh Childress. The pace of the song is steady, setting moods between frantic and ominous. As Landon yells "Will I ever get the chance to meet my father do you even know who he is? I'll keep breathing inside you" The hopeless emotions come across clearly as what seems like asteroids colliding when the breakdown comes in. The drummer, Cole Warden doesn’t seem to care about the well being of his drum kit as he shows the double bass no mercy throughout the whole record and Bleeders is a great example.

In closing, The Plot In You’s Wife Beater EP is a brutally honest story about topics surrounded in stigma. To put it lightly, it’s like watching an infomercial about domestic violence without beating around the bush. These guys have something good here, something so simple and satisfying that It doesn’t have to be original. I’m excited to see what their sound evolves into because if it just gets heavier, I’m game and you should be too.

Recommended If You LikeAttila; A Plea For Purging; For Today

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
07:08 PM on 04/03/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
I hate to be negative here, but take this as constructive criticism, you only spent 2 paragraphs discussing the album's content, and it appeared as though you only had good things to say about this album, yet you gave it a 46%? I'm confused...
07:49 PM on 04/03/11
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
I hate to be negative here, but take this as constructive criticism, you only spent 2 paragraphs discussing the album's content, and it appeared as though you only had good things to say about this album, yet you gave it a 46%? I'm confused...
I didn't waste my time on the scores. I don't agree with the scoring system so i just put whatever and It's an Ep. Also, This is my first ever review.
09:16 AM on 04/13/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I'm gonna have to say it too. At first glance I saw a 46% which irritated me a bit for the record is nowhere near that bad. However, after reading it I realized that you seem to like it. You might want to consider being a little more fair on the ratings for many members will click on the page, see a low rating, and then just skip the record.

That being said, I'm curious to what Landon's motive is behind this whole domestic abuse lyric theme he seems to follow. As in, is he speaking from experience ?
10:14 AM on 04/17/11
keviekaotic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
^ I clicked this because of the low rating, so honestly, I think that could work either way.
09:52 PM on 04/24/11
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
I really appreciate all the input guys, I'm currently working on reviews for my favorite Relient K record, the new MMF record and Silverstein's latest. Trying my best to improve. Also, I know the review is a bit vague but like I said before, It's an Ep and i feel like the track Bleeders represents it as a whole perfectly.
06:56 PM on 05/04/11
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How in the fuck are the lyrics an 8?
07:49 AM on 10/02/12
mtcolosi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
why is th score so fucking low if you liked it?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS