Password

Album Review

Hailey, It Happens - Aurora Album Cover

Hailey, It Happens - Aurora

Reviewed by
Hailey, It HappensAurora
Record Label: Collective Confusion Records
Release Date: April 5, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Reigning from Boston, Hailey, It Happens released their debut EP, Everything for You, back in 2009. With this EP, the band garnered quite a few fans interested in their unique style of electronic pop music. Now two years later, HIH are back and stronger than ever with Aurora. Produced by Paul Leavitt (All Time Low, VersaEmerge, The Dangerous Summer), this record was clearly placed in the right hands, as Leavitt again proves to be a commendable producer.

The opening track “I Gave Her My Heart, She Gave Me a Pen” begins with a smooth beat accompanied by soft piano melody. Vocalist Chris Cleary uses his high smooth vocal style to drive this calming opener. Following the poppy beginning, “Invincible” is propelled by Bobby DiBari’s thick piano, as Cleary sings “Radio, radio, I’m fine / just take me far away from here” on this hypnotic track. The title track proves to be the highlight of the record; the soft approach by Cleary and DiBari creates a poignant, touching atmosphere as the words “if you’re looking for me, just raise your eyes / I’ll be swimming in the northern lights” are haunting.

A heavy beat fluctuates throughout “Never Without a Fight,” while DiBari’s keys add background to the attention-grabbing effects used on “The Golden Age of Radio.” Cleary shines on the mellow “Brighter,” as his vocal performance steals the show, once again. Thus, Aurora is more than just an electronic pop record, proven through to chemistry created between the vocal style of Cleary and the technical effects of DiBari. The closing “Hurricane” utilizes this harmony in the best manner, as the layered instrumentation accents the meek vocals on what is arguably the most impressive vocal performance on the record.

By the end of Aurora, it’s quite difficult not to press repeat. The reason for this instigation is the overall unique style of Hailey, It Happens. It’s not often that a band consisting solely of a vocalist and keyboard player can craft such a memorable record. Indeed, it is this unique style – the high resonating vocals coupled with the upbeat keyboard and electronic effects – that leaves the listener intrigued. Clearly, Leavitt can truly do no wrong, as his production work on Aurora deserves every compliment, again cementing his skill as a producer. Things are definitely shaping up for HIH, as Aurora sounds nothing like a debut record.

Recommended If You LikeEverything for You; mellow electronic pop music

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. I Gave Her My Heart, She Gave Me a Pen
2. Invincible
3. Aurora
4. Never Without a Fight
5. The Golden Age of Radio
6. Brighter
7. I’ll Do Anything
8. Hurricane

Hailey, It Happens are:
Chris Cleary – Vocals
Bobby DiBari – Piano, Keyboards, Programming

All music by Bobby DiBari
All arrangements by Bobby DiBari and Chris Cleary

Produced by Paul Leavitt

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 42
02:51 PM on 04/03/11
NarcolepsySmile
Registered Member
User Info.
Awesome. Album rules/Chris rules/Bobby rules/Ryan rules.

Everyone buy this.
03:00 PM on 04/03/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Album Of The Year
03:14 PM on 04/03/11
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
Horiabl revue, score iz to lo

Not really...HIH and this album rule
03:14 PM on 04/03/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Thanks for the really nice review, Ryan. We appreciate it. Really glad you liked the record, buddy.
04:17 PM on 04/03/11
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Sexy review, Ryan.
04:22 PM on 04/03/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
review is so biased fire this cunt

-tylerdurden
06:11 PM on 04/03/11
Gil Schwartzman
Fucking Amatures
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm excited for this!
12:38 AM on 04/04/11
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
"the band garnered quite a few fans, many of which were very interested in their unique style of electronic pop music"

If they're fans of the band isn't it a given that they're interested in the band's stylings?
12:46 AM on 04/04/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Sort of a weird situation to write the review since they are fairly prominent users but I think you did a pretty good job with it.
12:55 AM on 04/04/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i listened to a couple songs earlier. Nothing too special to my ears, but it's nice to know members are making it and members are into it.
01:09 AM on 04/04/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Sort of a weird situation to write the review since they are fairly prominent users but I think you did a pretty good job with it.
To be clear, when I asked Ryan if he'd be interested in writing a review, I asked him to be completely honest. His hands weren't tied by the fact that I post here and I don't want anyone to get that impression.
01:13 AM on 04/04/11
NarcolepsySmile
Registered Member
User Info.
Yeah band members peruse these forums all the time and see their reviews. Don't see how that is relevant at all.
01:42 AM on 04/04/11
2LW
I'm starting to decompose
User Info.
I get this. I mean I've talked to cshadow a few times before (bet he barely remembers), but still weird. Will check this out.
02:15 AM on 04/04/11
InfiniteArms
Let me be your superhero
User Info.
To be clear, when I asked Ryan if he'd be interested in writing a review, I asked him to be completely honest. His hands weren't tied by the fact that I post here and I don't want anyone to get that impression.

Was this review surprising to you at all?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos