Password

Album Review

Ten After Two - Truth Is... Album Cover

Ten After Two - Truth Is...

Reviewed by
Ten After TwoTruth Is…
Record Label: Rise
Release Date: March 28, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s hard to believe Ten After Two have only been a band for less than two years. In that short time, they’ve already been signed to Rise Records, released an EP in 2010, and now their debut record, Truth Is…. Whereas If You Don’t First lacked any true lasting value or originality, it seems this go around the guys have honed in on their talents. Sure, it’s the same sing-scream hackneyed formula, but at least they do it well. Drawing comparisons to other Rise band such as Woe, Is Me and The Color Morale – especially TCM’s latest My Devil In Your Eyes – these guys fit the bill for the label just fine.

Destruction fuels “Yes” as Ten After Two start off on their heaviest foot, with Sean Wall’s deafening screams commanding the ship. The screams of “I am the taste of what you want / because I’m all that you’ve got” are chaotic, as Wall’s growl never falters throughout the record. Following the opener seamlessly, “Before You Know It” allows Josh Doty’s clean vocals to shine, proving that his clean vocals could easily be the strongest aspect of TAT, for the chorus on this track may be the most addictive on the record.

Blood curling screams thrive throughout “Dead After Dallas,” while “Satans Slumber Party” flexes the muscles of guitarists Hennion and Doty, complementing the skill of Vincent Adorno on the kit. The frantic “Well, Oh Well” exemplifies the musicianship of the group, as Wall and Doty play off one another in ideal fashion on this bipolar number. The tile track continues in this fashion, while the interlude allows for a moment of tranquility. The final bow that is “Believe Me” will reminisce Broadway's “AWOL” with the soft piano accompanying and creating the poignant tone of the track, an ideal closer in every aspect.

Inevitably, TAT will be labeled as unoriginal, as they’re in no way, shape, or form reinventing the wheel – or anything else – here. However, tracks such as “Sight At Sea” exercise the possessed within these young musicians. There’s no denying the talent; Ten After Two just need to move more toward the creative side of the spectrum. Still, for just a debut record, Truth Is… has already put TAT near the top of Rise’s young lineup.

Recommended If You LikeIf You Don’t First; Of Mice & Men; The Color Morale; Rise Records; Woe, Is Me

Listen ToBefore You Know It; Well, Oh Well; Believe Me

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Yes
2. Before You Know It
3. Dead After Dallas
4. Satans Slumber Party
5. Anxious
6. Well, Oh Well
7. Truth Is…
8. Interlude In D Minor
9. The Awe Song
10. Sight At Sea
11. Believe Me

Ten After Two are:
Sean Wall – Screams
Patrick Hennion – Guitar
Josh Doty – Guitar, Clean Vocals
Danny Clark – Bass
Vincent Adorno – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 42
07:36 PM on 04/03/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
I remember listening to this band's Extended Play and thinking that it was terrible and generic. Hearing they are pretty much the same, only with skills being improved makes me even more unexcited.

I guess I will listen to this...with low expectations. Again good review Ryan.
07:43 PM on 04/03/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I remember listening to this band's Extended Play and thinking that it was terrible and generic. Hearing they are pretty much the same, only with skills being improved makes me even more unexcited.

I listened to their EP only once when it dropped and didn't like it at all. This is quite a bit better, in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words.
08:33 PM on 04/03/11
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.

Yeah, EP blew.
This album is like a completely different band.
I really enjoy it, the clean vocals really keep me around.
11:09 PM on 04/03/11
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
really digging this release...i think its solid as fuck
11:40 PM on 04/03/11
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
the ep didnt impress, but i respect your reviews so im willing to give this a listen
11:53 PM on 04/03/11
whenwefirstmet
lets keep this circlejerk going.
User Info.
cool review
12:36 AM on 04/04/11
Marcos_gun
tastes like green.
User Info.
Reminds me of The Word Alive.Not original,but good band with a bunch of talented guys.
01:25 AM on 04/04/11
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
You just piqued my interest, Wasn't going to even give this a listen after I saw an interview with these guys but I'll try to put that painful viewing experience aside.
01:56 AM on 04/04/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not really sure if I need another one of these bands in my library. The Color Morale and The Word Alive get it done just fine. I've been hoping metalcore would shift in a more technical direction a la The Human Abstract's new album.
04:09 AM on 04/04/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I wasn't sure if I should pick this one up, but after reading this, I definitely will
04:51 AM on 04/04/11
Rankid
suited up finnish vegetarian
User Info.
This album introduced me to this kick ass band. Best new band I've discovered during the year 2011. Will get a lot of plays in the near future for sure.
06:17 AM on 04/04/11
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
This band is very..very generic sounding...they have improved from their E.P. but this album did not grab my attention at all except for maybe a song or two.
07:25 AM on 04/04/11
whoelsebutchris
User Info.
Really liked this album, it's nothing really new, but they're talented and they're good at what they do. Good review!
08:45 AM on 04/04/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Album is extremely forgettable, the band definitely has talent but still does not know how to use it in terms of songwriting, there's a lot of out of place instrumentation in this album.
Nice review however.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version