AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Sherwood - 03.27.07

Interviewed by
Sherwood - 03.27.07I had an opportunity to sit down with Dan before their set at the St. Louis stop of their tour opening up for Mae and Relient K and ask him a few questions about the band, their newly released CD titled A Different Light, and other things. A big thanks goes out to Mike Cubillos, Jason, the users that submitted questions, Sherwood's manager Ciara, and most of all Dan for spending his free time before the show to answer AP's questions.

First off if you could just tell us your name and your position in Sherwood.

I'm Dan and I do guitar and vocals.

Now the album is finally out. How does it feel?

It's our second, but it's definitely on a larger scale than the first one, so you know, it feels good. More people know it's coming out, there's more places to get it, but it's still not to the point where it's on every rack and every store. But it definitely feels better than the first one.

You're on Myspace Records. How do you feel about their promotion of the band and the record thus far? Do you think that they're doing enough?

They're doing an incredible job in certain areas and a good job in other areas. They're still a new label. We have been really pleased with the amount attention that they've given us and we love all the people that work there, it's really fun talking to them about the record. They involved us in a lot of the process, so we've gotten to make a lot of the decisions with them. It's been pretty good process and we're feeling pretty good about it.

After Absolutepunk released the Summer EP in the summer of 2006, you guys received a lot of label attention. What made you choose to go with Myspace Records?

They have that one wild card no other label can even pay for. The amount of access that they have on the internet is pretty unprecedented. Besides that, they also really seemed to believe in our band and we felt like we were going to get the same attention or more so with them than any other label. Their capacity for promotion, at least on the internet, is so much higher by hundreds of times, than any other label.

What made the band decide to release the Summer EP for free download to users on Absolutepunk?

There was a number of reasons for that one. Our contract with Sidecho was up and we were just kind of talking about what we could do next and we had some songs that we really liked and felt confident about so we just thought it would be cool to give away some music. We didn't have a record deal lined up that we were confident with yet, so there was no need to sign anywhere, but we didn't want to wait to put out the music.

Your CD leaked early onto the internet. How did it impact the band? What are your thoughts on downloading, especially after you released an entire EP for free download?

It leaked, but in terms of most albums ours leaked late, just a couple before it came out, like 3 weeks before the CD came out. It was a super-late leak and I don't know if it hurt us too much. The download question is difficult because a lot of people download albums that would not buy them so they wouldn't have even been exposed to our music, but then a lot of people downloaded it that would have bought the record. It can hurt you and it can help you. I'm happy that it didn't leak too early. I feel like most of our fans over the past have been able to help us financially.

Are record sales important to a band since they make so little money off of them? What's the most important thing financially to the band?

Touring is the chief source of income for almost any rock band. It's true for us. Record sales are important, they tie into a lot of things. How many records you've sold helps you get tours or helps you get attention from publishers, television shows, movies, there's a lot of things; and it's also a position on the Billboard charts which also will help clue in everyone to your existence. Maybe you don't know who The Fray is but then you see them in the top 10 and say "Oh, guess I better listen to The Fray." They are important, and we do make some money on record sales, but it depends on your situation. If you've recouped then you can make a lot of money on records, or if you put out your own record like The Format or Sufjan Stevens, then you can make even more. For us we haven't made much money on records. We may someday, we may not, but it's still tied in with everything else that we do need to support ourselves.

How have your musical influences changed from the first record, to the EP, and to this new record? What are your thoughts on listeners saying that the new material is more radio-friendly and poppy compared to past material?

It's funny, we played this show in Irvine in September or October, and I ran into John Foreman, the singer of Switchfoot, and I asked him just what his thoughts were on the whole thing and he said "You know, you just keep writing stuff and you keep the stuff that you like. Some times, as time goes on, you start to like the stuff that's catchier or memorable." I thought that was a really good take on it and I agree with it. From my perspective, I do think that the songs are more radio-friendly. I also think the songs are better than they used to be. Since we are a pop band, and in my view we've always been a pop band, to be more radio-friendly in a certain sense is to be making better pop music. I hope that it's not radio-friendly. I hope that doesn't mean that it doesn't have other stuff going for it.

The band has gotten a lot of fan and critical response on the new release. What do you think of the response you've gotten thus far on the album?

I've only read a few reviews in terms of websites. Most people say things like, "It's not incredibly memorable or complicated, but I really like it right now." and can understand that. As someone who knows the record really well, I do think that there's more lasting power contained than some people are giving us credit for. Of course though, if you get a record in the mail and listen to it maybe two or three times and then write a review about it, then it's not going to show up. In terms of fans, all of the people who are saying anything are people who like it. There's probably people who don't like it, but the people who choose to talk to us about the record tend to like it and say things like "I like it a lot", "It's your best album", etc.

There have been some who have said that the final production of the album added a lot of extra things to it. Was there anything on the final product that you didn't like or would have changed?

I was with him (Lou Giordano) in New York when he was finishing the album. I flew out there to be with him. Every decision was a mutual decision between him and I. In fact, most of the stuff that I think most people seem to tend to consider "the producer's hand" was actually stuff that either we as a band, or I, came up with and brought to him. We knew we were going to be making a more slick, fuller-sounding rock production. We knew that, that was the plan all along, so we were really happy with the way that it came out. I think people who are new to the band especially will have easier access to us because of it.

Sherwood's on tour currently with Mae and Relient K. Are there any other tours in the works after this one is over? Is there a possible headlining tour in the future? Are there any bands out there that'd you'd want to have a potential tour with?

There are ideas for a headliner tour, but I don't think that would happen until the end of this year. We'll be touring pretty much all of this summer, all of the fall. I don't think I'm allowed to announce it, but there's a really good tour this summer that we're going to be on. As for bands we'd like to take on tour, I'm afraid to say things and if we don't take them then someone's going to get mad, but we have a lot of good friends that are in great bands. Some of those bands like The Fold, who have a record coming out that's going to be great; there's a great band called Get Back Loretta from San Diego. If we were going on tour in October, there's so much time between now and then, there's no way we would know this early.

Do you feel that Sherwood fit into the current music scene?

It's kind of interesting, I think I've read a few times about people comparing us to Fall Out Boy, which I guess in a certain sense, makes sense to me. We didn't say "Hey let's make a pop-punk record." we just wrote the next Sherwood record. If it's kinda like other things, then I guess it is, there's nothing I can do about that. We made something that we're proud of and we hope that our fans love it.

You've dealt with both Myspace and Absolutepunk.net. Which one is better? Tom or Jason?

Wow. I can't answer that question. If I answer that someone is going get mad and punch me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
11:43 AM on 03/27/07
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
Hahaha, I love the last question.
11:45 AM on 03/27/07
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
good interview... he seems like a really cool guy. i love this record.
11:52 AM on 03/27/07
sweetforever
User Info.
last question was a good one
11:55 AM on 03/27/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well done ... I'm glad they were able to answer some of these questions. I especially think this one is relevant for all people to remember/think about:

Are record sales important to a band since they make so little money off of them? What's the most important thing financially to the band?

Touring is the chief source of income for almost any rock band. It's true for us. Record sales are important, they tie into a lot of things. How many records you've sold helps you get tours or helps you get attention from publishers, television shows, movies, there's a lot of things; and it's also a position on the Billboard charts which also will help clue in everyone to your existence. Maybe you don't know who The Fray is but then you see them in the top 10 and say "Oh, guess I better listen to The Fray." They are important, and we do make some money on record sales, but it depends on your situation. If you've recouped then you can make a lot of money on records, or if you put out your own record like The Format or Sufjan Stevens, then you can make even more. For us we haven't made much money on records. We may someday, we may not, but it's still tied in with everything else that we do need to support ourselves.
12:31 PM on 03/27/07
BuyMyIntention
cheese monger
User Info.
I love Sherwood! LOVELOVELOVE!

Please buy the record if you haven't already!
12:35 PM on 03/27/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Nothing but love for Dan and the crew.
12:50 PM on 03/27/07
eclipsegts1
User Info.
awesome interview. What happened to that old interview?
01:20 PM on 03/27/07
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
good fun interview. it didn't ruffle any feathers or point any fingers at anyone or anything, which I liked.
01:51 PM on 03/27/07
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
Dan is a great guy; nice interview.
02:07 PM on 03/27/07
Melissa Johnson
True Punk Fan
User Info.
awesome interview. What happened to that old interview?
We just now found out what happened to it. I'll probably add it as an extension to this one if there's questions that need to be answered that aren't in this interview.
02:35 PM on 03/27/07
thechrisformat
let's tune out
User Info.
great job. i enjoyed it.
03:07 PM on 03/27/07
joshua.
graphic designer
User Info.
i love sherwood.
04:09 PM on 03/27/07
hailthewarrior