AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Chevelle - Vena Sera Album Cover

Chevelle - Vena Sera

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
ChevelleVena Sera
Label: Epic Records
Released: April 3, 2007

Before my days of forced labor in an un-air-conditioned paint warehouse, my summers were filled with embarrassing sports camps and lots of clandestine MTV watching (my mother referred to the channel as “Trash TV”). One of these usually forgettable summers was a bit different, however, due in part to a music video called “The Red” and a particularly bad case of athlete’s foot. I had never much been a fan of hard rock or alt-metal, so I was very surprised to become addicted to the megahit by Chevelle. The song held a lot of meaning for me with its cries of being a freak and whatnot. Fearing the rest of Wonder What’s Next would let me down; I never searched for another song by the band… until now. With their 4th album, Vena Sera, Chevelle have set out to create more of the same that made me love “The Red” so many awkward years ago.

Vena Sera will not stun anyone with its creative approach to rock or metal or alternative music (depending which song you hear or who you ask). But what the album will do is have you coming back more than a few times to engulf yourself in the heavy riffs and manly baritone of Pete Loeffler.

Most songs feature semi-random and high-pitched screams that, while downplayed, still feel awkward and forced. “The Fad” is a perfect example of too much scream and not enough sing, while single “Well Enough Alone” is a smart balance. Opening with a throat-piercing wail, the rest of “Well Enough Alone” is a catchy rock song with just enough mix between Heaven and Hell (if Heaven was run by Tony Brummel). Opener “Antisaint” utilizes some of the heaviest guitars on Vena Sera along with those distorted vocals that sound as if Loeffler is singing through a 1930’s telephone. Perfect music for the revival of Are You Afraid Of The Dark? I think so. Nickelodeon, make it happen.

The choruses on Vena Sera are very worthy of a dirty sing-along with all your dirty friends. Anger works well for Chevelle, and all parts of “Brainiac”, from the chugging guitars to the vengeful chorus, create a feeling of loathing (to who or what isn’t important). “Paint the Seconds” is a slower track with screechy guitar solos and plenty of melodic bits. The track would have made a much more satisfying closer than “Saturdays”, which ends the album with an ellipsis, rather than an exclamation point.

Chevelle might never write a song as catchy as “The Red” again, but that doesn’t mean Vena Sera is bad. It’s unfair to compare that nostalgic song to these newer offerings (Bias? In a review?), but I can’t forget as easily as I remember. Their large fan base will certainly devour all the heavy and lovingly schizophrenic details of Vena Sera, while the casual “fan” won’t be disappointed either. As for me, I enjoy Vena Sera for now. But just as the automobile paint I stocked for hours on end, the shine has to go away sometime.

Recommended If You Like: (new) A.F.I., Korn, muscle cars, pleather, Marlboro Reds, Ozzfest

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
07:55 AM on 03/29/07
Burnout2888
...has a gambling problem
User Info.
Haha, I love the "recommended" part.
08:56 AM on 03/29/07
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
Great review, man.
11:21 AM on 03/29/07
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
Good Stuff.
07:34 PM on 03/29/07
giovanni_c
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cool review. I've been planning for a whilenow to pick this album up on April 3rd. It's almost here!
10:26 PM on 03/29/07
kbauer
BOAN.
User Info.

ditto
11:07 PM on 03/29/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

ha, glad you guys enjoyed it. thanks for reading.
07:47 AM on 03/30/07
thebarrelboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You forgot "shiny shirts" in the recommemded section. And Oakley sunglasses.
08:43 AM on 03/30/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
You forgot "shiny shirts" in the recommemded section. And Oakley sunglasses.

haha, noted.
05:36 PM on 03/31/07
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
dude brah this band ruuuulez!!!

great review.
06:20 PM on 04/02/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
guilty pleasure for real.
07:51 PM on 04/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
guilty pleasure for real.

nah, its just some simple, fun music. Eating hostess cupcakes after a large dinner is a guilty pleasure.
09:35 PM on 04/04/07
heyjohnnyfive
johnholcomb.com
User Info.
This CD is actually quite good. I didn't want to like it since so many CD's came out yesterday, but I listened to it and was really impressed. It's weird because it's still Chevelle for the 4th time, but their sound hasn't gotten old yet. I still like songs off their first 2 records better (Point #1 and Wonder), but those are just nostalgic songs for me. Good review.
04:42 AM on 10/03/07
slimboydim
Harvester Of Sorrow
User Info.
Good Afternoon, only recently got in to Chevelle,
and really like the sound on Vena Sera.

Nice Review...
10:52 PM on 11/12/08
fr33kn
On song, Literally
User Info.
chevelle is good......