AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pygmy Lush - Old Friends Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Pygmy Lush - Old Friends

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (04/09/11)
Pygmy Lush - Old Friends
Record Label: Lovitt Records
Release Date: April 1, 2011

In 2001, one of the most intensely savant hardcore bands released one of the most underrated records of the early millennium during the rise of what now is deemed in loose terms as post-hardcore. Pg. 99 released Document #8. Sorrowfully missed by purists and "kids who missed the moment" types like myself, Document #8 is a cathartic structure of passion, aggression and beautiful execution. While the band left its mark on the hardcore scene for years to come, it's been quite a decade since then for its members.

Three of the band's members (Chris Taylor, Mike Taylor and Johnny Ward) went on to form Pygmy Lush. With the release of Bitter River, the band's debut, we were all still rocking along a bit longer. Most importantly, Bitter River showed a bit of a soft side of its members. An uneven record, it would be the release of Mount Hope that was the step in the right direction for the band. Stripped down and a soothing ride, three ferocious hardcore greats took a complete turnaround and beautifully pulled it off with the help of some friends.

With the release of Old Friends, Pygmy Lush have crafted the simple comfort of a gentle wind into the fullest breeze on a warm autumn day. The expansion of song writing on the record is the most rewarding factor this time around. "Yellow Hall" is the opening example. Not only does the recording not sound as flat - Ballou stepped it up on this one - the instrumentation and layering sound much more full. You're not just hearing something good, you're wrapped in something great as it absorbs the audible nerve in stereo. The seasick anthem of "In a Well" is a driving one that scratches at hopelessness and ambition as Chris Taylor's voice becomes distant and scratched while he's singing "Start climbing," over and over again.

It's the blooming numbers like "Yellow House" where the band has reached new heights. The post-rock build of "I'll Wait With You" is an angelic high point on the album. The closing "Pals" finds the band carrying out one final release of orchestration. It feels like you're watching them in a small dive somewhere, shaking all the alcohol off the shelves. Casual listeners will cling to the upbeat tempo of "January Song," "Admit" and "Chance," as they're uneven cards in the deck, but don't take away from the album's appeal as a whole.

Getting through "Penny on My Deathbed" is disheartening and exquisite. The piano's tone and color is quite perfect against Taylor's defeated voice. Even without Taylor's countered vocals, the music's capturing minstrel style of post-rock is flooring. With Old Friends coming out ten years after Document #8, it's a shining example of how shifting into a new execution doesn't mean losing the power and passion and especially the smarts of what made you a great musician in the first place.

Track Listing1. Yellow Hall**
2. Chance
3. Good Dirt
4. In a Well**
5. Night at the Johnstown Flood
6. I'll Wait With You*
7. Penny on My Deathbed*
8. A Weird Glow
9. Admit
10. Old Friends
11. January Song
12. Pals*

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikemewithoutYou's Brother, Sister; Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago; Margot and the Nuclear So and So's The Dust of Retreat

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
05:52 AM on 04/10/11
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
Keep hearing great things about this band.Better check this out
10:35 AM on 04/10/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Just finished the album. Sounds great.
10:37 AM on 04/10/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Will definitely look into!!!
06:27 AM on 04/11/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Loved Brother, Sister and The Dust of Retreat. Gonna have to check it out just for the RIYL.
08:02 AM on 04/11/11
Tyler Vagyler
Tight Dick Playa
User Info.
After listening to "Yellow Halls", I will be checking out the rest of the album.
09:33 AM on 04/11/11
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
I was on these guys myspace and one of their hardcore songs started playing. I was quite confused, but I really like this album and I'll have to check out that harder ish now to.
11:11 AM on 04/11/11
yellowhouse
there's a lot of beauty, sometimes
User Info.
Love them. I need to listen to this.
12:47 PM on 04/11/11
jcamps
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
seeing them friday!
01:02 PM on 04/11/11
Cuddleworthy
▲▲▲▲▲
User Info.
these RIYLs are really scaring me
01:06 PM on 04/11/11
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Adam hands down reviews the best albums. Gotta check this out.
02:14 PM on 04/11/11
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
Seeing them soon with Thursday and Pianos Become the Teeth.
08:35 PM on 04/17/11
fcbucks1
User Info.
saw the RIYL, listened, reread the review, kept listening, bought the clear red vinyl. well done sir
05:45 PM on 04/29/11
Neilhouse
Ya slam-dunkin what I'm alleyoopin?
User Info.
Where can I find this to listen to it?
07:02 PM on 04/29/11
fcbucks1
User Info.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE