Username
Password
Dillinger Escape Plan News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Dillinger Escape Plan
Inside AP.net

Dillinger Escape Plan Speaks Out About Downloading

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (04/11/11)
Greg Puciato (The Dillinger Escape Plan) has written some thoughts on illegal downloading.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 119.
11:13 AM on 04/11/11
DCART
@DylanCarty
User Info.
punk as fuck
11:14 AM on 04/11/11
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
get over it, homeboy. that's just how it is now. adapt.
11:15 AM on 04/11/11
Percipere
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
/nocare
11:17 AM on 04/11/11
Mibabalou
Desolate Earth :: The End Is Here
User Info.
Get a real job then.
11:17 AM on 04/11/11
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
No one cares. People are still gonna do it, especially when album releases in the U.S. a month or a couple weeks earlier than in another country and vice versa. Nobody wants to wait, if its there kids/teens/adults will do it. In 2011, this is a dead subject, there's nothing that will change it, its been a 10-year (and then some) issue.

Quit bitching and explore creative ways to engage your audience.
11:18 AM on 04/11/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Totally agree, and well spoken. especially liked:

Quote:
Most importantly, bands need to do good shit! Be a real band, give a shit about what you are doing, have high standards and quality control and have pride in releasing good material in quality formats.
11:19 AM on 04/11/11
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
get over it, homeboy. that's just how it is now. adapt.

Yep yep, that's the word, <u>ADAPT</u>.
11:19 AM on 04/11/11
Nick Gerli
User Info.
lol at the commenters who obviously didn't read the whole thing. greg takes a very reasoned and pragmatic approach.
11:20 AM on 04/11/11
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
If anybody bothered to read the full post, you'd find out that he's not bitching at all and he actually makes a bunch of valid points.

But that would require effort and intelligence - two key components many people already commenting in this thread sorely lack.
11:21 AM on 04/11/11
sammyboy516
User Info.
I get so mad at my friends who illegally download. People say, "Artists get next to nothing from record sales, they make most of their monety from shows and merch." That's true, but if a record doesn't sell labels won't book shows or have merch printed. It's common sense. If you want artists you like to be able to continue making music, you need to support them and pay for their music.
11:22 AM on 04/11/11
xxero182
User Info.
well..he should be fine haha. he seems to know whats up
11:24 AM on 04/11/11
Chalie22
User Info.
"TAKING shit from someone who didn't want you to have it for free… that is the opposite of punk and the opposite of supporting any kind of scene or movement that you claim to."

So lets say I never heard your band and I go and download your record. Then I decide to shell out the 30 plus bucks to see Dillinger Escape Plan open for the Deftones at a 1500 capacity venue. Would that make me punk as fuck since I'm shelling out money to come and support the band.
11:26 AM on 04/11/11
SOLASTSUMMER558
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"TAKING shit from someone who didn't want you to have it for free… that is the opposite of punk and the opposite of supporting any kind of scene or movement that you claim to."

So lets say I never heard your band and I go and download your record. Then I decide to shell out the 30 plus bucks to see Dillinger Escape Plan open for the Deftones at a 1500 capacity venue. Would that make me punk as fuck since I'm shelling out money to come and support the band.
Did you even read the entire article?
11:27 AM on 04/11/11
XSTAYGOLDX
Sorceror Supreme
User Info.
Way more bands get exposure and can tour now that music is more easily downloaded for free. IF kids like it they will still buy it or come out to a show or order a shirt. I know a lot of smaller bands who do full US tours only have kids singing along across the country cause the kids used mediafire to check out their album.

I book shows and when I get an offer for a show they don't send me an album to listen to before i decide if I want to pick up the show. Am i supposed to purchase their album and make up my mind? Print cool merch, stay on indie labels, and write good music and you'll be fine. There are soo many bands right now that i don't think would be nearly as successful if everyone who listened to them bought their album. They probably would have never even been checked out.

I'm not saying that band's music isn't worth purchasing cause I still buy Cds i just think anyone in a band who gets upset about their albums being downloaded for free are either out of touch with the times or have a smaller taste in music where they can afford to still support all the artists they listen to.

I know for sure the majority of Hardcore bands and even supporitng acts on big tours wouldn't get any crowd reaction if kids couldn't listen to their whole albums before going to a show.

That being said Gas is going up, The price of printing Merch is going up and it seems like bands get their gear ripped off more often now so support the bands you want to keep touring. Preorder albums from the smaller bands or your favorite bands.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS