AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (04/11/11)
TV on the RadioNine Types of Light
Record Label: Interscope
Release Date: April 12, 2011

Nine Types of Light, huh? Four years spent studying physics, ultimately earning a degree in it, and I’d never heard anything about “types” of light, never mind how many there are. Frantic Google searches revealed nothing enlightening—and if Google doesn’t know, it’s a safe bet that no one does. Then I find out that there is, in fact, no deeper meaning behind the title of the new TV on the Radio album. Way to lead me on. But maybe I’ve learned something here, for if the record does indeed represent nine types of light, it’s safe to say I now know exactly how many there are: nine. Light, more than anything I’ve heard lately, sounds complete and self-contained, and like most of the TV on the Radio catalog, it largely transcends genre. No other context is necessary. Nine Types of Light simply is what it is.

The first thing anyone will probably tell you about Nine Types of Light is that it’s an album of love songs. Indeed, the word “love” appears in the lyrics of almost every song on the album. It’s fitting that a band whose sound lends itself to such wide-ranging appeal should pick an equally universal subject of focus. The next thing they’ll probably tell you is that these songs are slightly slower and more subdued, and there is a little less buzzing noise. None of these changes can obscure the fact that it’s still the same old TV on the Radio, which is a very good thing. The vocal team of Tunde Adepimbe and Kyp Malone once again delivers in a big way, conveying their rare brand of soul with that elusive combination of force and subtlety. At their core, the songs are all shiny pop tunes with huge hooks, but as we’ve come to expect from the band’s music, there’s no shortage of rewards for the careful listener, in the form of catchy but intricate rhythms, layers of synths, earworm-y guitar lines, and the occasional flirtation with skronky horn orchestrations. While the ballads—especially the heart-stopping “Keep Your Heart”—are unequivocally successful, the inclusion of some muscle in the form of the frenzied, danceable “No Future Shock” and the jazzy, half-rapped “Caffeinated Consciousness” smartly keep the mood light and prevent the album from being bogged down with sentimentality.

Ultimately, Nine Types of Light is a grown-up album. More than ever, Adepimbe and the gang seem concerned with permanence. “I’ll defend my love forever,” he sings on “Second Song”. On “Keep Your Heart”, it’s “How am I gonna keep your heart if the whole world falls apart?” “You” finds him imploring, “You’re the only one I ever loved.” These aren’t half-hearted lies told to score a quick fuck. There’s genuine warmth and intimacy here, something you don’t hear too much of in rock music, much less “indie rock”—and for good reason, as these things often come off as schmaltzy and cloying. That TV on the Radio pull it off so triumphantly is a true testament to their talents. The list of bands who have risen from underground upstarts to major-label A-listers without sacrificing an ounce of credibility is mighty exclusive. For me, the well pretty much runs dry after the first name, Modest Mouse. With Nine Types of Light, TV on the Radio strengthen the case for their name being added to the conversation.

RIYLTalking Heads’ Remain in Light; Talk Talk’s The Colour of Spring; Gnarls Barkley’s St. Elsewhere

Track Listing1. Second Song (4:20)
2. Keep Your Heart (5:42)
3. You (4:04)
4. No Future Shock (4:03)
5. Killer Crane (6:15)
6. Will Do (3:45)
7. New Cannonball Blues (4:32)
8. Repetition (3:43)
9. Forgotten (3:37)
10. Caffeinated Consciousness (3:19)

Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25.
12:43 PM on 04/11/11
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
Can't wait to listen to this.
03:34 PM on 04/11/11
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
can't wait to get this. such an amazing band
12:10 AM on 04/12/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
awesome record, awesome review
04:29 AM on 04/12/11
New Grass
Kissability
User Info.
Need to check this out.
05:18 AM on 04/12/11
im_FINK
Registered Member
User Info.
It's so good. Will Do is a great song and the album as a whole maybe be better than Dear Science, albeit it does lack the Family Tree and DMZ.
06:24 AM on 04/12/11
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I could never get into this band.
06:50 AM on 04/12/11
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
This band is better than Radiohead.

(went there, an' jus' don' give a fuck!)
07:02 AM on 04/12/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Did not like this album. Boring!
07:19 AM on 04/12/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Said it before and I'll say it again, it's a pleasure reading yr reviews again Jeremy.
07:21 AM on 04/12/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
On a different note, Pitchfork only gave this a 7.7 (I was surprised).
08:24 AM on 04/12/11
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
On a different note, Pitchfork only gave this a 7.7 (I was surprised).
I don't really read Pitchfork, but from what I understand, that's a pretty good rating on their scale.
09:25 AM on 04/12/11
FUCKDIRTYWIPES
Kicking it middle school
User Info.
great album!
10:29 AM on 04/12/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
I don't really read Pitchfork, but from what I understand, that's a pretty good rating on their scale.

Oh it's definitely not a bad score, but they praise their other albums so much more.
10:33 AM on 04/12/11
Throwback
The Swordsman
User Info.
Picking this up on the way to work. Might just go get it now because I want it so bad.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests