Username
Password

Album Review - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 171.
07:49 AM on 04/13/11
jedediahdaniel
Tongue punching pussy since 1977
User Info.
Great, great review Thomas. And you absolutely nailed the truth out in that last paragraph. Long live Foo.
07:58 AM on 04/13/11
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
User Info.
pretty sure if you've heard one Foo Fighters song, you've heard them all. They are the AC/DC of the 90s-2000s...everything sounds the same.
pretty sure no
07:59 AM on 04/13/11
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
great review, great album
08:08 AM on 04/13/11
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Foo Fighters do what they do incredibly well, probably better than any mainstream rock band out there. However for me they have gotten a bit bland.
08:08 AM on 04/13/11
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
I don't think you were being a pretentious douchebag or anything as bad that in the review, hahaha.
08:09 AM on 04/13/11
Greg
User Info.
I'm going to take issue with that last paragraph. Why take a shot at Katy Perry for putting out formulaic pop after spending the entire review praising Foo Fighters for formulaic rock. Although you use different language for both, Foo Fighters have been on autopilot since they broke into the mainstream. These guys have literally been putting out the same brand of single-drive radio rock albums every two years since before most of us even listened to music. Foo Fighters aren't "filling a void," they're playing into it. Take away the guitars and drums and replace them with synthesizers, put Katy Perry in Grohl's place, and I guarantee no one would tell the difference. Take Katy Perry's "Extraterrestrial" and change the instrumentation around, put Dave Grohl in front of the mic, and it could be a Foo Fighters song (given it'd need different lyrics).

I'm not attacking you so much as I'm taking issue with your seemingly random praise of one artist for being mainstream while taking a shot at another for doing the same thing. People want to sing the chorus of "Fireworks" because it's a huge, homerun of a pop chorus, the exact same kind of choruses Dave Grohl has built his career upon.

tl;dr Foo Fighters = Katy Perry

dumb post is dumb.
08:15 AM on 04/13/11
Dastly
The Squirreliest
User Info.
I like your review but this album bores me. I love the first track but everything after it starts sounding the same to me. I have to give it one more spin before I solidify this opinion but I think I will be standing by it. I guess I'm just not a big enough Foo Fighters fan?
08:19 AM on 04/13/11
seraph1214
Sing you to coma, so to speak.
User Info.
I'm going to take issue with that last paragraph. Why take a shot at Katy Perry for putting out formulaic pop after spending the entire review praising Foo Fighters for formulaic rock. Although you use different language for both, Foo Fighters have been on autopilot since they broke into the mainstream. These guys have literally been putting out the same brand of single-drive radio rock albums every two years since before most of us even listened to music. Foo Fighters aren't "filling a void," they're playing into it. Take away the guitars and drums and replace them with synthesizers, put Katy Perry in Grohl's place, and I guarantee no one would tell the difference. Take Katy Perry's "Extraterrestrial" and change the instrumentation around, put Dave Grohl in front of the mic, and it could be a Foo Fighters song (given it'd need different lyrics).

I'm not attacking you so much as I'm taking issue with your seemingly random praise of one artist for being mainstream while taking a shot at another for doing the same thing. People want to sing the chorus of "Fireworks" because it's a huge, homerun of a pop chorus, the exact same kind of choruses Dave Grohl has built his career upon.

Change everything about a song and of course it will sound like someone else. This is the dumbest post I've seen on this site in a while.
08:28 AM on 04/13/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.

AND THEN! Replace the synth with guitars, mandolins, banjos, and a little drum here and there. Then, replace Katy Perry with Marcus Mumford, and BOOM you have Mumford & Sons! And no one would notice!

This game is fun, let's play some more!

You're an idiot.
08:28 AM on 04/13/11
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This was recorded Analog?
No fucking way.

For whatever reason, I couldn't get into ESP&G.
Turning on "Bridge Burning" though was like that first sip of water after a 3 hour workout.
I missed this band.
08:34 AM on 04/13/11
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is good for radio rock, it's by no means great as this review implies. Hell it's not even their best work. This websites reviews are start to sound more like record label press releases than actual critical reviews.
09:02 AM on 04/13/11
ThrownAwayKyle
User Info.
if anyone still isn't sure about checking this out, seriously just do it. its one of the most incredible mainstream albums i've ever heard. each song has just enough aggression and melody. there is at least one scream on every song i think, and "White Limo" only has one singing line, i think that really makes the album for me. dave grohl has really found his vocal style and the right amount of experimentation and its awesome.
09:08 AM on 04/13/11
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Didn't think it was that good but i liked it better than basically half of their discography.
09:12 AM on 04/13/11
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
excellent review. Bold statement that its their best since TC&S, but I agree. I also recommend the Back and Forth documentary they aired on VH1 last week. So good
09:19 AM on 04/13/11
HogarthHughes
Paint the Streets in White
User Info.
TC&TS > TINLTL > Wasting Light > ESP&G > In Your Honor > S/T > One By One

Or something like that.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates