Password

Album Review
Lydia - This December, It's One More and I'm Free Album Cover

Lydia - This December, It's One More and I'm Free

Reviewed by
Lydia - This December, It’s One More and I’m Free
Record Label: Hourzero
Release Date: September 27th, 2005

Lydia happened to release their debut album at a time when everyone was gearing up to listen to their Panic! at the Disco albums and as such it was overlooked by many people. However, one of the finer releases of 2005 came in a digipak under the name of This December, It’s One More and I’m Free. Just like the outer artwork on the album, the contents on the disc are beautiful. It is filled with moving, yet brooding music and lyrics that are at sometimes depressing but give a vivid imagery as to what is going on in each song.

My Favorite tracks on the album include “Smile, You’ve Won”, “It’s in Your Blood”, as well as “December”. On first listen to this album it all blends beautifully and you get a fresh feel because the album comes off as very original. However, after a few listens it starts to blend together and seems almost monotonous in that all the songs start to sound the same to a degree. As such, the lasting value of the album is diminished greatly.

The musicianship on the album is very well done though and Maria’s voice adds to every song it is graced in. Her vocals are beautiful and add just the right touch to the album. It was a shame that she left the band, as did her replacement, but I feel the female vocals on the album are the standout points of the album.

In the end, Lydia’s debut album is a treasure that when taken in small doses is beautiful and worth every minute. However, it does grow old rather fast in the end and thus the replay value is cut down. When you do go to pick it up again though, it is just as good as the first time and it is definitely worth a listen or two more. If the band could produce something as beautiful as this on their debut album, the sky will only be the limit for their follow up.
This review is a user submitted review from Saves The Night. You can see all of Saves The Night's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:27 PM on 03/31/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
I love this album.
12:12 AM on 04/01/07
Saves The Night
AP's Resident STD Fan
User Info.
I agree, I love it as well. I only wished the songs didn't sound similar after you listen to it long enough. Other than that, I feel it is a great album, but the lasting value really shot down its final score in my book, but really that's the only real glare.
12:20 AM on 04/01/07
learn to love
i lv y s mch tht t hrts m hd
User Info.
01:09 AM on 04/01/07
vanessavalo
fer shizzle.
User Info.
I've never heard of lydia.
but you write good reviews anddddd I'm gonna listen to them too.
11:05 AM on 04/01/07
Aikichi
User Info.
One of the best album that i ever heard.... i so love it!
i could listen to it ever and ever^^
Can't wait for the new cd
05:11 PM on 04/01/07
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
This album is really lacking in production, but has some of the best vocals I've ever heard.
04:08 PM on 04/03/07
i go by eric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been listening to Lydia for over 2 years now. This album has been played through my speakers on and off for the past year and half (since its release), and i plan to keep it that way. If you haven't heard of them, listen to them. "In Your Blood" is classic.
11:21 PM on 04/05/07
Jamie Pham
@jamiepham
User Info.
Can't wait for the new stuff.
03:19 PM on 03/14/08
foolsandluxury
User Info.
i dont understand how people have said that the songs blend together after a while. i can listen to this album for days and never get bored of it. since it was released, i dont believe there hasnt been a day where i didnt listen to at least one song from the album. nice review though, it was written pretty well.
07:59 PM on 08/10/08
Musibach
User Info.
well maybe i'll start looking the links...

a little help please?

im so damn curious what it sounds like...
05:47 AM on 02/21/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think I like this album more than Illuminate
07:34 PM on 01/06/11
syntax omitted
User Info.
sorry to bump, i just had to disagree with the lasting value on this. i can listen to this album every day and never get tired of it. all of the songs may not be so diverse in sound but that is because the album tells a story. it certainly has enough variety to be keep the listener's attention. it is just as beautiful if not more than Illuminate and miles beyond Assailants in just emotional value. not a terrible review, but i must disagree on your points.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos