Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Record Store Day 2011

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (04/16/11)
Happy holidays music enthusiasts, hoarders or the absolutely insane like myself who, as of 6 a.m. this morning, had been camping out in front of Waterloo Records in Austin. Today we're celebrating the fourth annual Record Store Day. Besides the monster of releases half of us won't be able to snag, could care less or will eventually find jacked up in price on eBay, we must reflect on the reason this whole thing matters: the support of our favorite artists and locally own retailers that actually carry what some of us are looking for. Even if you don't think the "exclusives" matter too much, I walked away with more used vinyl treasures last year than limited pressings. Blake put it best last year in saying to purchase "anything" in any format. It may be an Amazon digital download, it may be a shirt at a show and it may be a vinyl you finally mowed enough lawns to now purchase. Like my convictions of Harvey Dent, I also believe in the tangible medium, and as convenient as the digital form can be, I'm still going to invest in the physical copy in one form or another of my favorite albums. Hit the replies to hear what a few artists have to say, and what deals are going on online today in case there's not a local store near you. Also, let us know what you picked up!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 148
10:22 AM on 04/16/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Artists Op-Ed"As a kid I learned more about music just shopping at Main Street Music in the Manayunk section of Philly than almost anywhere else. The owner, Pat Feeney helped steer my young teenage heavy metal heart towards The Replacements, Husker Du, The Old 97s and countless other bands I never saw thanked in the back of Metallica and Suicidal Tendencies records. Support the local record store near you this record store day, they know your next favorite band..." - Dave Hause

"As an avid record collector, it's pretty cool to see a 'holiday' completely dedicated a largely under appreciated medium of music. I think we all feel privileged to be a part of a scene that values the art and culture that surrounds vinyl records. From the minute we started the band, it was an aspiration of ours to put out music on vinyl, and I know that we will continue to put out vinyl for a long time to come." - James Carroll (Make Do and Mend)

"I am a fan of Record Store Day, both as a collector myself who loves the limited releases, and also because I think it puts a much needed emphasis on the importance of "Mom & Pop" independent record stores. When I was a kid, I got into a lot of bands because of small record stores and my relationship with the staff. As a kid I would go into a store and pickup a record by bands like NOFX or Green Day the guy working the store would suggest I check out Minor Threat, Propagandhi, Jawbreaker, and Husker Du which are some of my favourites to date. Silverstein is fortunate enough to be releasing a limited 7" for RSD which we called "Support Your Local Record Store" for that reason as well. We want to take the opportunity of RSD to not only encourage our fans to get out to the independent stores, but also introduce them to some of our favourite bands and influences by including 3 cover songs on the 7". Our 7" features covers by Kid Dynamite, American Nightmare, and Propagandhi which are 3 bands that we love, but most of our fans may have never heard." - Billy Hamilton (Silverstein)

"As a kid first falling in love with music, I remember being so god damn excited every time a CD from a new band I loved was about to come out. After waiting weeks or months for that release date to hit, it was always the best feeling walking out of the store with that new album in hand after all the eager anticipation. Record Store Day to me symbolizes the importance of that fun, deeper ritualistic aspect of being a music fan that a lot of people sadly don't experience anymore in the digital era." - Aaron Neigher (The Saddest Landscape)

"To me vinyl adds a much needed collectibility to music that provides a new dimension to the whole experience. Artwork is enhanced and the music is heard the way it is truly intended to be heard, in its purest form. Also, it sparks a new market of trading and hunting that renews every music lover's passion." - Bobby Markos (Native)
10:22 AM on 04/16/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Online DealsKnow of deals? Let everyone know in the replies and we'll add it to the list!

Count Your Lucky Stars is offering 10% off everything today only for Record Store day. Enter Promo Code "RECORDDAY" at check out.

No Sleep Records has posted up various rare records, some test presses as well as special Record Store day versions of Only Boundaries from Balance and Composure (here) and Won't Be Pathetic Forever from The Wonder Years (here). Enter RSD2011 at checkout to save 15%.

Use the coupon code "RSD2011" in the Deathwish Estore and get 15% off nearly everything in the store.

Hot Topic is giving 20% off of all vinyl.

Clifton Motel is offering a 15% discount with the code RSD2011.

Enjoy the Ride Records is offering 15% off with the promo code "HowmIgonna"
10:24 AM on 04/16/11
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I snagged these all online:

Oh Evelyn 7” - Owen
Promise Nothing 7” - Transit
Love 7” - Crime In Stereo
Won’t Be Pathetic Forever RSD LTD edition 7” - The Wonder Years
Bonfires 7” - Fireworks

Hopefully I'll be able to go to a store later, but they were too crowded/it was too cold waiting outside this morning.
10:29 AM on 04/16/11
kidinthebushes
User Info.
Picked up All I Want at a local record store by me (the only one by me). Glad to see the place was packed.

Did anyone get their hands on Cities by Anberlin? The place I stopped by didn't get any in.
10:33 AM on 04/16/11
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
I snagged these all online:

Oh Evelyn 7” - Owen
Promise Nothing 7” - Transit
Love 7” - Crime In Stereo
Won’t Be Pathetic Forever RSD LTD edition 7” - The Wonder Years
Bonfires 7” - Fireworks

Hopefully I'll be able to go to a store later, but they were too crowded/it was too cold waiting outside this morning.
WHEREEEEE
10:33 AM on 04/16/11
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Unfortunately, I don't have money for RSD this year. I did pre-order the RSD exclusive vinyl for The Wonder Years' "The Upsides" off of Run For Cover a week ago though.
10:34 AM on 04/16/11
dontsneeze
User Info.
I got the Rise Against 7", Cities, and Bleed American. And the store threw in a free pint glass, so that was sweet.
10:35 AM on 04/16/11
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
From all their respective labels. No Sleep's sale is awesome; RFC put up their two releases because they couldn't ship them to stores; Rise had all their stuff on eBay; and Polyvinyl had the Owen preorder months ago.
10:35 AM on 04/16/11
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
I managed to get the RSD LTD 7" of 'Won't Be Pathetic Forever' and Leavenhouse 11:30.

Wanted to go to a store today to pick up Glassjaw, but the store close to me wasn't stocking it :/
10:37 AM on 04/16/11
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i worked in record stores for years that participated in RSD but am dismayed to say that this year, the only notable release for me is Glassjaw's Worship and Tribute which isnt even a true RSD release/exclusive. =(
10:41 AM on 04/16/11
totzine
User Info.
snagged all of these -

7"
transit - promise nothing
the wonder years - wont be pathetic forever rsd edition
a day to remember - all i want
manchester orchestra - simple math

12"
the wonder years - the upsides (run for cover 4 pack)
balance & composure - only boundaries rsd edition
touche amore - ...to the beat of a dead horse rsd all white edition
between the buried and me - the parallax: hypersleep dialogues
10:41 AM on 04/16/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
wish i could get to a record store near me. there's the mad platter in town, but relay for life starts at three. oh well, nothing stood out to me THAT much but it would've been cool to go.
10:49 AM on 04/16/11
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Wow, Omega Music in Dayton...

Couldn't find a single thing I was looking for. No Anberlin, no Ryan Adams, no Man Orch... I guess I'll be keeping an eye on eBay instead.
10:53 AM on 04/16/11
NarcolepsySmile
Registered Member
User Info.
Wanted so much shit I couldn't find. Man Orch, Transit, and more. Nothing. All I got was The Civil Wars - Dance Me To The End of Love 7"
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests