AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.45
Lyrics 8.9
Production 9.15
Creativity 7.7
Lasting Value 8.2
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein

Reviewed by: Saves The Night (04/01/07)
Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein
Record Label: Elektra / WEA
Release Date: May 13, 2003

Third Eye Blind has been in the mainstream for quite a long time now and has produced hit after hit (such as “Semi-Charmed Life” and “Jumper”) over the years. Their latest studio album, Out of the Vein, was released in 2003. The album could be considered one of their finest works, at least to my own ears. In addition, it couldn’t have been released at a better time as I still consider it to be one of the best albums to blast in the speakers of your car in the summertime.

Some of the stand out songs on the album are “Blinded”, “Wake for Young Souls”, and “Palm Reader”, although this is not to say that the whole album isn’t spectacular. I could literally list song after song on the album that could be considered “hits”, but that isn’t the point, because in the end the individual has to decide for themselves which songs will stand out from the rest. With such an amazing album it is a shame that the mainstream didn’t pick up on it. Even though it debuted #12 on the Billboard 200 list, it was estimated to have failed to sell through more than 250,000 copies.

Lyrically, you can tell there is a general theme to the album even if there is this feel to the lyrics that at times have a very cryptic and personal feel to them. There are hints of rejection, drug use, and lost love in every verse, and Jenkins delivers every line with a voice that only he could pipe out and has become practically a trademark to the band. When you hear his voice, you can immediately tell it's Third Eye Blind and there can be no mistake because of how unique it is and how miles away it is from the cookie cutter rock vocals that fill the airwaves today.

On first listen, the album as a whole doesn’t really jump out at you. Rather, you have bits and pieces that are going to stick out and keep you coming back to listen. However, as you give the album more and more of a chance, the other songs grow on you very quickly until you find the whole album just finds itself working upward on your top play lists. There will be songs that you skip over, but they are few and far between and even they will grow on you if given the proper time.

In closing, as I mentioned at the start, this album is perfect to listen to as you drive or just to chill out to, especially with good weather on the way and summer right around the corner.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
01:02 PM on 04/01/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
hmm, i remember buying this the day it came out and not being that impressed. guess i'm gonna have to dig it out. thanks!
01:40 PM on 04/01/07
comickarma
User Info.
greatest band ever.
02:25 PM on 04/01/07
GoBigRed
User Info.
My favorite band, ever.
03:44 PM on 04/01/07
HolidayFromReal
Use Title
User Info.
I love your reviews, I'm listing to this album cause of you. :D

Great CD.
05:08 PM on 04/01/07
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
Soo soo underrated. Nice review.
09:16 PM on 04/01/07
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
One of my very favorite albums ever. Really good review. I couldn't have said it better myself.
04:16 AM on 04/02/07
Mr_Ian
Shut up you fucking baby.
User Info.
Another great review, it took me bloody ages to like anything other than the first three tracks on this record, now I actually prefer it to Blue.
04:25 AM on 04/06/07
Silver Bullets
All you need is love.
User Info.
this album seems bland compared to their first two.
02:35 PM on 04/06/07
DivisionStreet
Music
User Info.
This album is amazing, but I think you're wrong about the sales. I believe it reached Gold status at over 500,000 copies. It's a shame Elektra fell apart right around when this came out and it didn't get pushed. Oh well, they have a new album coming out this year, and I hope they get HUGE again. They deserve it.
11:48 PM on 10/17/07
FreshyFresh23
Laying Down the Law
User Info.
Love this cd. FYI DivisionStreet was right, it did go Gold over 500,000k sold.

Plus, the lyrics are heavily influnced by Jenkins's breakup with Charlize Theron.
07:53 AM on 12/04/07
matchbox202006
Trees Only Grow As Tall As They Do
User Info.
I bought the album thinking "third Eye Blind,one of my fav bands,might as well pick their newest on up".I cant stand the album.except for Crystal baller,Cant Get Away,and Wake For Young souls,it's unlistenable to me.I own the Collection album and i love that one.maybe i just couldnt take a whole set from Jenkins about sex and drugs.I give it a 3/10.
07:52 AM on 01/08/08
thisyearstrend
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not as good as "blue" in my opinion. but can't go wrong with it either. blinded is a nerve gripping tune
01:16 PM on 09/23/08
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
jeje i just recently started listening to this album, yea i'm late... but at least i got to it. overall it's very decent and i've yet to find a song that i don't like... My Hit and Run rocks.
03:26 PM on 08/23/09
dhelmick
User Info.
i really like this album. i think faster is great, which no one has really mentioned. its just catchy as hell. Third Eye Blind will always be the best pop rock band
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums