AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Teenage Bottlerocket - Mutilate Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Teenage Bottlerocket - Mutilate Me

Reviewed by: Alex DiVincenzo (04/17/11)
Teenage Bottlerocket - Mutilate Me
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords
Release Date: April 12, 2011

"Hey, we've been at it a long time now," opens Teenage Bottlerocket's new 7"/EP, Mutilate Me.

And it's true; the Wyoming-based quartet has been playing their spirited brand of Ramones-esque punk rock for a decade now. After three under-the-radar full lengths, the band finally found their break in 2009 with their Fat Wreck Chords debut, They Came from the Shadows. Mutilate Me, their first release since, picks up right where they left off.

The A-side features the record's title track. "Mutilate Me" is catchiest song about sadomasochism that you'll ever hear, complete with infectious "whoa-oh-oh"s, a dual-vocal chorus and a simple guitar lead. Guitarists Kody Templeman and Ray Carlisle share singing duties while drummer Brandon Carlisle and bassist Miguel Chen keep the uptempo beat.

"Punk House of Horror" kicks off the B-side. The track showcases Teenage Bottlerocket doing what they do best: three-chord pop punk with equal parts in-your-face energy and melodic hooks. With descriptive lyrics like "There's a gnarly fucking grime on everything you will see inside / And a mutant form of stink that simply cannot be identified," it's difficult not to picture the foul dives in which the band finds themselves on tour.

The EP's final track is a cover of Bad Religion's "Henchman." The song was originally recorded for a tribute compilation but didn't make the cut. That is not to imply negativity on the song's behalf; it's a satisfying cover of the one-minute anthem. The band's take is straightforward, but it certainly benefits from the production value that Bad Religion lacked back in 1989.

Mutilate Me can be best described as short and sweet. The three tracks barely break the five minute mark, but they are enjoyable enough to warrant playing them on repeat. The EP is easy to digest and will leave fans hungry for a new album. If you miss the pogo-ready pop punk of yesteryear, Teenage Bottlerocket will fill the void.

Recommended If You LikeRamones, The Queers, Screeching Weasel, Descendants

www.teenagebottlerocket.com

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
07:57 AM on 04/18/11
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Nice review, Alex. So anxious to hear this, I love TBR to death.
09:31 AM on 04/18/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review, Alex. So anxious to hear this, I love TBR to death.
Thanks! If you're already a fan you will definitely enjoy it.
09:40 AM on 04/18/11
DanPiazza
Tourist With a Typewriter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I tried to get into these guys, but I'm just not huge on Fat Wreck Chord's sound.
10:28 AM on 04/18/11
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
good review and good record!
10:49 AM on 04/18/11
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
One of the best bands out there right now.
04:22 PM on 04/18/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Love this band. And looking forward to seeing them again in June!
05:50 PM on 04/18/11
Fun Ghoul
Peacemaker
User Info.
Is this band sweet? They got some cool vinyls... It'd be nice to have an excuse to buy them.
07:32 AM on 04/19/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Is this band sweet? They got some cool vinyls... It'd be nice to have an excuse to buy them.
Yes, very sweet.
09:34 AM on 04/24/11
FormulaWarbrain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I tried to get into these guys, but I'm just not huge on Fat Wreck Chord's sound.
Then what would be your reasoning for not liking anything pre-They Came From The Shadows?? They were a band for a solid 8 years before signing with Fat! Im sure when they started they didnt say-"Hey, maybe if we sound like this we might get signed by Mike someday!' And besides that fact they havent changed their sound since being on FatWreck anyways. I dont believe that there is a "Fat WreckChords Sound", considering the broad range of bands on the label all with various styles. I think they just pick up bands that can rock out and party hard! Go to a TBR show and get that pre-concieved b/s rocked out of your head....only then will you realize that Bottlerocket has brought something fresh not only to the Fat table, but the whole scene!
02:13 PM on 04/24/11
DanPiazza
Tourist With a Typewriter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Then what would be your reasoning for not liking anything pre-They Came From The Shadows?? They were a band for a solid 8 years before signing with Fat! Im sure when they started they didnt say-"Hey, maybe if we sound like this we might get signed by Mike someday!' And besides that fact they havent changed their sound since being on FatWreck anyways. I dont believe that there is a "Fat WreckChords Sound", considering the broad range of bands on the label all with various styles. I think they just pick up bands that can rock out and party hard! Go to a TBR show and get that pre-concieved b/s rocked out of your head....only then will you realize that Bottlerocket has brought something fresh not only to the Fat table, but the whole scene!
You make some good points, but whenever I listen to them I just don't prefer what I hear. It's not bad, just not that great in my opinion. I respect what they've done though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests