AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Silverstein - Rescue Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.22
Musicianship 8.85
Lyrics 8.15
Production 8.63
Creativity 7.47
Lasting Value 8.8
Reviewer Tilt 9.3
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Silverstein - Rescue

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (04/18/11)
Silverstein - Rescue
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Record Label: Hopeless Records

Music fans are usually faced with quite the dilemma when they are looking forward to a new record, especially if it's coming from a band they're particularly fond of. Do you want them to evolve - perhaps taking a leap to something you might not enjoy as much - or do you want them to stay...consistent? For the most part, the consensus seems to be that bands need to evolve to stay relevant. Grow with their audience, as some might say. Some bands do just fine by staying static, though. Look at New Found Glory: a consistent sound has lead them to become perhaps the greatest pop punk band ever. When they strayed a bit, on Coming Home, fans were generally displeased.

Silverstein is another band that has utilized a tried-and-true formula throughout its career, and Rescue, the band's fifth studio album and debut for Hopeless Records, sees the Canadians doing more of the same. While the band won many over with its 2005 breakout, Discovering the Waterfront, fans of the band seemed to either grow more loyal or completely become disinterested when Arrivals and Departures and A Shipwreck In The Sand showcased similar sounds. The latter was Silverstein's last record, a concept album which I considered to be fairly underrated.

As a whole, Rescue won't do much to sway those who aren't already fans of Silverstein. As a reviewer, it's against my personal creed to say this, but there isn't really a better way to put it in this situation: fans of Silverstein will like this record, while non-fans plainly won't. Rescue is certainly highlighted by its quality tracks, but there is unfortunately a fair amount of filler in what proves to be a merely decent release by this band. Opener "Medication" follows the style of past Silverstein opening tracks, with a meant-to-be-epic buildup. The song is an enjoyable one and it's definitely one of the songs on the record listeners will find themselves coming back to.

Silverstein's core sound, as I've said before, is back in full force. Vocalist Shane Told still balances his high clean vocals with bloodcurling screams, but a point that should be made about Rescue is that there may be less screaming here than on Silverstein's past releases. There is still screaming in nearly every track, but it just seems like Told's cleaner vocals are more prevalent on the record. While the opener and "Sacrifice," which we are familiar with from the band's Transitions EP, won't convince you that there's less screaming, "Forget Your Heart" and "Good Luck With Your Lives" might.

The best tracks on Rescue are the ones where Told lets his screaming unfold, as "Intervention" and "The Artist" prove to be standouts. The latter is a positively fiery, blistering track featuring Brendon Murphy of Counterparts, with plenty of breakdowns to go around. This is where Silverstein shines - in a controlled chaotic setting where Told is letting out screams over heavily distorted guitars. "Texas Mickey" is another highlight, perhaps my favorite track on the record, and it features the biggest curveball on Rescue in a guest appearance by Anthony Raneri of Bayside. Raneri's immediately identifiable vocals mesh surprisingly well with Told's heavier ones, making for a sweet bridge/outro.

The biggest misstep on Rescue is returning "Darling Harbour" to the tracklist from the Transitions EP. I personally hoped this song would be left behind, as it comes across as watered-down and rehashed. Aside from there being no screaming, the lyrics aren't Told's best work by any stretch of the imagination. Luckily, Silverstein rebounds strongly with the pounding "Live To Kill" and closer "In Memory Of..." The former is a barn-burner, while the closer takes longer to kick in but rounds out the record in a worthy fashion.

All in all, Rescue isn't about to turn many heads or convert many new fans. Maybe Silverstein will attract different listeners by releasing this album with Hopeless, but this work isn't as stellar as previous releases from this band. In the end it's exactly as I said earlier: those who already like Silverstein will certainly enjoy this record. However, maybe it's time for the band to reinvent its sound a little bit, to find a new, fresh angle to work. Their formula has proven that it can sell records, but how long can that last? While previous fans, like myself, may always find something worthy in a Silverstein release, an industry that is ever-changing and an audience with a consistently short attention span may leave this band behind if it can't keep up.

Recommended If You LikeOld Silverstein stuff.
Follow Me On TwitterA great Twitter debate with Jason Tate and Scott Heisel took place last weekend, there's more where that came from!
Bare Essentials1. Medication
2. Sacrifice
3. Forget Your Heart
4. Intervention
5. Good Luck With Your Lives
6. Texas Mickey
7. The Artist
8. Burning Hearts
9. Darling Harbour
10. Live To Kill
11. Replace You
12. In Memory Of...
Produced By: Jordan Valeriote, Run Time: 40 minutes
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
01:12 AM on 04/18/11
Colino
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've always liked Silverstein, and I dig this record. It's been growing on me with each play.
01:23 AM on 04/18/11
roche
You think a pirate lives in there?
User Info.
I really enjoyed this record, Burning Hearts is a standout.
02:14 AM on 04/18/11
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Totally fair review.
02:16 AM on 04/18/11
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
I've been waiting for this, I know what you meant now I guess. Still really, really like this record but couldn't agree more with the whole reinventing the wheel. This band has already peaked but I'll admit that I don't care.
02:58 AM on 04/18/11
eaglejak
Exhale you, inhale the rest
User Info.
I actually really like Darling Harbour. But apart from that, fully agree with the rest of the review.
04:39 AM on 04/18/11
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
I'm just glad to hear a good old fashioned Silverstein album, I really don't need them to evolve
04:58 AM on 04/18/11
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Good review, based on the previous songs I can see why they keep getting criticized for being static and unyielding. However, the catchy songs are more catchy and the heavier songs are more brutal, without falling to the stereotypes in the scene that plague so many bands.

Also big up to your recognition of Shipwreck's underrated status. Thought that change was great and successful for them.
05:48 AM on 04/18/11
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Unfortunately the only thing I can dig about this record is Raneri in Texas Mickey.
06:00 AM on 04/18/11
StellaPark
User Info.
I'll have to give this a listen, Arrivals and Departures was solid.
06:56 AM on 04/18/11
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
I agree with a few remarks and disagree with a few others. while I agree they didn't change their style, their songs, overall, are very good and I can definitely find more highlights on Rescue than on Shipwreck and Arrivals - I think from track 1 to track 8 all songs are awesome, except for Good Luck With Your Lives which isn't as awesome, but is still good. and I also find this record to be their most addictive since Discovering the Waterfront (still their best). the songs are better, the drums are quite nicer and guitars aswell.

I do agree Darling Harbour and Replace You, without being bad songs, kind of ruin the album a little bit. I like them, but I don't think they're as good as the rest.

I still get your point though. and I hope they'll get wild and loose their shit in their next record
07:21 AM on 04/18/11
Momo32T
User Info.
I think it's worth pointing out that Shane's clean vocals are getting stronger and stronger with every release. While he has always been a strong vocalist, listening to this album and Discovering The Waterfront shows how he has strengthened this over time.

Needless to say, I would be curious to see Silverstein venture out into new territory, as much as I like this album. Shane certainly has the voice and the rest of the band are skilled enough musicians to pull something different off well.
07:42 AM on 04/18/11
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
I think this was a step down from their last album..but it is still pretty good
07:48 AM on 04/18/11
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Probably will grow on me. I like this band and they haven't really let me down yet.
07:49 AM on 04/18/11
tfot11
User Info.
Only good thing about this is the appearance from the singer of Counterparts. If Shane is smart, he'll put out their next album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums