Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (04/18/11)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (04/18/11)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:16 AM on 04/18/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together:

Technology Round-UpPoll

A senator from Illinois is making a hard push for internet sales tax.

Do you think there should be a sales tax for internet purchases? [Poll]

Apple

New iPhone 5 rumors indicate that the device will not begin production until September.

The elusive white iPhone 4 will be available within the next few weeks.

Parents can now pick up the iPad 2 along with their kids' toys at Toys R Us.

Apple has shown off some more features of OS X 10.7 (Lion).

iOS 4.3.2 is out, and it fixes issues with Facetime and 3G connectivity.

The Navigon MobileNavigator app now has augmented reality features to keep your eyes on the road even when you're looking at your GPS. The app even alerts drivers to hazards.

Internet

The three biggest online poker sites have been shut down in the U.S. The U.S. government has seized the domain names of PokerStars, Full Tilt, and UB (click the links to see the "FBI" logo). Players that reside in the U.S. are unable to access their funds, cash out money, or play live cash game money.

A murderer was caught because his Google Maps history indicated the exact remote location at which he buried the body.

A new lawsuit against Match.com argues that the site should institute a sex offender screening program for all registered customers.

Discover now makes it easy to send money to anyone with a cell phone or e-mail address.

JetBlue will bring Ka-band high-speed internet to its planes by 2012.

Comcast has announced its "Extreme" internet service with speeds up to 105 mbps.

Google

Google has announced $8.58 billion in earnings.

Should computers be able to learn from their mistakes? Google certainly thinks so.

Google has expanded its NFC check-ins.

A new article states that 89% of employers Google potential employees.

Electronics

Cisco is discontinuing the Flip video camera along with other consumer electronics.

Amazon has announced a cheaper, ad-supported Kindle for $114. The device's hardware is identical to the third-generation Kindle, and the ads are not displayed during reading.

Nintendo may show off the Wii HD at E3 2011. Other rumors indicate that the device will be as powerful as the PS3 and Xbox 360, which sounds exciting until you realize that those systems were released in 2006 and 2005 respectively.

The R3 is a three-wheeled all-electric motorcycle that can travel 80-100 miles at up to 70 MPH

Anyone looking for the perfect, um, bathroom experience should check out this $6,400 toilet.

An engineer built an RC car that runs on soda can caps.

Mobile

RIM and Google are in a bidding war for Nortel's patents.

Nokia has released a new version of Symbian. However, your round-up author cannot recommend that anyone invest in a Symbian device since the OS is already scheduled to be phased out of production. However, for those interested, check out the Nokia E6 and X7.

See how the recently-announced HTC Sensation stacks up against other Android phones, and check out the device in action.

T-Mobile has canceled the "Even More Plus" plan.

Sprint users can now charge Android apps to their service accounts.

Sony now allows users of Play, Arc, Neo, and Pro phones to root the devices.

The T-Mobile G2x (T-Mobile version of the LG Optimus 2X) will be available in stores on April 20. The device launches with Froyo but will be upgraded to Gingerbread in the summer. Since your round-up author accidentally crushed his trusty myTouch 3G, he will probably purchase this phone since he is currently surfing the web at EDGE speeds on his girlfriend's jailbroken iPhone 3G and consequently cannot wait until the Sensation is released in the summer.

The dual-screen Kyocera Echo is now available for Sprint. Check out a review of the unorthodox device.

The Samsung Galaxy S II will be released on May 1 in the UK. No carrier or release date has been announced for the U.S.

European Galaxy S phones are receiving the Gingerbread update as this is written.

Despite the announcement that Sense 3.0 will only run on the HTC Sensation, EVO 3D, and Flyer, check out Sense 3.0 running on the Desire HD.

Cyanogenmod 7, based on Gingerbread 2.3.3, has been released.

Skype with video calling has leaked for the HTC Thunderbolt. In unrelated news, Skype has acknowledged a privacy issue with its Android app.

Windows 7 phones on the AT&T network will receive the NoDo update on April 19.

The "Verizon Guy" has been fired.

Computer

Windows 8 will feature "portable workspaces" that run on flash drives.

A preview build of Internet Explorer 10 has been released. Microsoft has announced that IE10 will not run on Windows Vista. Of course, Microsoft also originally announced that IE7 would not be released for XP, and pressure from Firefox (not Chrome yet) forced them to change their mind.

Check out reviews of the Blackberry Playbook. A 3G version of the PlayBook will be released this summer.

WebOS may get a cloud-syncing music store.

Videos of a thinner Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Honeycomb have popped up on the internet.

The Viewsonic G Tablet received a firmware update that adds Flash and USB support. The device has also been overclocked to 1.4GHz, and the price has dropped to $280 at Amazon.

Intel's upcoming "Thunderbolt" port will be complementary to USB 3.0.

The Alienware M18x laptop features a Core i7 overclocked to 4GHz, up to 32GB of DDR3 RAM, and ATI CrossfireX or Nvidia SLI graphics.

Adobe will now allow people to rent Photoshop for $49 per month.

Tips/Tricks

Quickly launch your favorite Android apps with SwipePad.

Place free Google Voice calls from iPhones with Talkatone.

Call internationally for free (10-minute limitation and ad-supported).

Convert your hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS without having to reformat.

Check out the five best online job hunt sites.

Learn how to exhibit self control.

Miscellaneous

Foxconn, infamous for its suicidal workers in China, is investing $12 billion to build factories in Brazil.

Researchers in the UK have found ways to use magnetic fields to disable people's ability to speak (among other, more practical uses).

Video Game soundtrack music can now qualify for four Grammy award categories.

--
Contributor: CyberInferno
10:37 AM on 04/18/11
WishYouAway
User Info.
It lives!
10:44 AM on 04/18/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Internet sales tax: good in principle, shitty since I live in Illinois.
10:59 AM on 04/18/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Aren't Illinois sales taxes high enough already? That's why I buy all my shit in Indiana, unless I got those mixed up...
11:00 AM on 04/18/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
the dumbass who used google maps to find a spot to bury a body really just reminds of how dumb people can be
11:02 AM on 04/18/11
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
My brother works for Match.com and was just telling me about that lawsuit. Apparently this lady was sexually assaulted on a date by a guy she met on the website.
11:21 AM on 04/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
The sales tax in Illinois is not a surprise at all. With a dept that terrible it's a way to cut corners. A shitty way nevertheless.
11:26 AM on 04/18/11
pasthefence49
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
[/quote]
Researchers in the UK have found ways to use magnetic fields to disable people's ability to speak (among other, more practical uses).[/quote]

The ability to disrupt the left side of the brain enables what people call "Savant" talents in the right side to come out. Most people in the world called "Savants" have left side brain damage. Its a pretty cool study I think people should really check out. Patients during the time they cannot speak can actually study and learn 50x what they could normally
11:50 AM on 04/18/11
sweethypocrisy
ortizshow.podbean.com
User Info.
My brother works for Match.com and was just telling me about that lawsuit. Apparently this lady was sexually assaulted on a date by a guy she met on the website.
i dont see how thats the websites fault, it should be obvious that you run that sort of risk when using an "internet dating" website. if a woman meets a guy in the line at walmart, they go on a date, then he rapes her, can she sue walmart?

and as for the 6400 dollar toilet, doesnt wipe your ass, no care.
12:22 PM on 04/18/11
Kiguel182
life is a test and I get bad marks
User Info.
adobe really needs to make its software cheaper, it's such an high cost if you want to work on that field
12:42 PM on 04/18/11
grimis16
User Info.
I'm surprised about the Flip camera. I thought it was doing good. Well maybe i thought that because I would constantly see ads for it
01:51 PM on 04/18/11
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
It's sometimes tough to catch the round-up since I typically finish it late Sunday night and it gets mixed in with a buy Monday news day. In case you missed the previous two weeks, here ya go!
I'm surprised about the Flip camera. I thought it was doing good. Well maybe i thought that because I would constantly see ads for it
I was kind of surprised too. I think it just wasn't profitable enough. Cisco also let go over 500 employees in the process of discontinuing the Flip.
02:40 PM on 04/18/11
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
i dont see how thats the websites fault, it should be obvious that you run that sort of risk when using an "internet dating" website. if a woman meets a guy in the line at walmart, they go on a date, then he rapes her, can she sue walmart?

and as for the 6400 dollar toilet, doesnt wipe your ass, no care.
Haha, that's just it. It's not Match's fault..at all
09:50 AM on 04/21/11
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
I agree that's like suing a bar because you met a guy there and got abused by him. but hey let's sue whomever we can right? garbage.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests