1. How did you get your band name?
Our original name was “The City Champs.” After a break, discovering an acid jazz band with the same name, some line-up changes, and a band member getting a Masters degree in political philosophy and talking our fucking ears off about it all day, we decided to go for the name “The Republic of Champions” for reasons that she'd be happy to explain at a later date.
2. How did this band get started?
Andrew Filyk and Dave Brett played in the original incarnation of the Champs. Various people came and left, some members slept with each others girlfriends, some tried other things and returned…etc… It’s pretty much the standard band story. Now we are Andrew, Dave, Maria, and A.C. That won’t change anymore. It’s us or over.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Leatherface, Jawbreaker, Stubbs, Rush, Kurt, Townes Van Zandt, Crooked Fingers, Springsteen, Waits, Malcolm Bauld…insert your favourite band here….
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Jesus…where to start? Jawbreaker, ‘cause they changed our lives. Nirvana, ‘cause maybe….well…we’re reluctant to make any promises, but we’d like it if he were still here. Propagandhi, ‘cause we like them and they live down the street and we could probably do a gear share thing. Leatherface? Our friends? Yeah, them. Our friends.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Tofu steaks and fresh legumes if possible. If not, instant coffee and Ramen will do.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Ummm…I’m not even sure how to answer this. Because…we’re awesome? Because our music is good? I’m pretty sure every band feels the same way. Basically, if you like air-guitaring, singing out-loud with the music up; if you like music that makes the uncomfortable and utterly useless totally beautiful, well…listen to us.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
We don’t do athletics.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
The bartender at the event and our mums.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Having to create a fucking million sites for any single person that doesn’t reside in your city to hear your music. Also, that Nickelback is famous.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Sobbing on a playground playstructure at 3 am while everyone is acting crazy. Oh, and going on a five hour hike at 7 am to find cigarettes with our bandmate's bra on Andrew Campbell’s head.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means people can hear music and write about music and talk about music that they actually care enough to do anything about – whether they’re so shockingly mad that they MUST write a terrible review, or so remarkably moved that they can’t not publish their love of it (yeah, that last line is a musical reference). Boring is also worth talking about but is maybe boring to write about.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Depends on the day. I’ll venture to say the following:
Dave Brett: Something by Chad Vangaalen or Yes.
Andrew Filyk: Either "We R Who We R” or “Talk Dirty to Me.”
Maria Bromilow: "Everyday is Like Sunday."
Andrew Campbell: Anything by Duff.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Winnipeg, Toronto or anywhere else ‘cause then we’re together.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The smell of spring. People yelling. New erasers. Brand new Cons.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to wield the powers of everything in order to do whatever we wanted because then we'd do whatever we wanted.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Totally. One is private and involves hand gestures. The other is Dave crashing and bouncing off of walls. Also, shots at the bar.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Guess it depends on the station, but for the most part it’s lousy. And probably not. But then, as a wise band once said: “today’s empires; tomorrow’s ashes”. So, maybe.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Drink. Take strolls on the beach. Read books. Ridicule others. Plot. Cook things. Eat things. Climb trees. Smoke.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Dave can climb trees and has a good shoulder for crying on. Maria is fluent in sign-language, can withstand the greatest amount of total bullshit ever and can sing “Nothing Compares 2 U” really well. Drew can stay up for forty-eight hours, write the most amazing song, and still play a solid set. Andrew Campbell can play guitar better than almost anyone, bring his band-mates delicious dinners, clean a revolting practice space in half an hour, draw pictures of penguins, tell inappropriate jokes, and put twelve-foot art up on the street in -40 weather.