AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sick Puppies - Dressed Up As Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 3.75
Production 5.5
Creativity 5.25
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 58%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.88
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.63
Lasting Value 7.38
Reviewer Tilt 6.63
Average: 74%

Sick Puppies - Dressed Up As Life

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (04/03/07)
Sick PuppiesDressed Up As Life
Label: Virgin Records
Release Date: April 3, 2007

Who?

Sick Puppies is an alternative rock band from Australia, but they could just as easily be from Jersey. Best known for an endearing ballad on a “famous” YouTube video, Sick Puppies seem to be devoid of that charm or originality on Dressed Up As Life. I could have really used a hug after hearing this (see video for joke).

How Is It?

I don’t review many albums with the ol’ Parental Advisory sticker, so I had no idea what sort of filth or references to expect on Dressed Up As Life. However, the little sticker should have read “Consumer Advisory”, as there are few redeeming qualities to this release. North American rock bands Creed and Nickleback have had a large influence on Sick Puppies, especially evident on slower ballads “What Are You Looking For” and “Too Many Words”. Still think globalization doesn’t exist? Singer Shimon Moore has a deep, accent-free voice that makes lyrics such as “I called you a whore. I Broke down your door,” all the more funny. I will say this though, Moore proves on “Issues” that he knows his audience (“I like to blame my parents. I’m sure you do the same”). Don’t judge us.

Recommended If You Like: Creed, Nickleback, ventriloquist dummies, Bollywood, Staind, chains that connect your pants to your wallet

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
08:14 PM on 04/03/07
nivek87
Live Together, Die (M)alone
User Info.
nice review. you really captured what this band sounds like and you only had to say a few words to do so. great job, loved the one liners
09:46 PM on 04/03/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
These guys will be huge and you can't stop it.
10:41 PM on 04/03/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
These guys will be huge and you can't stop it.

sadly, you're probably right.
11:29 AM on 04/04/07
DejaMe
It's a funny thing this life.
User Info.
nice review. you really captured what this band sounds like and you only had to say a few words to do so. great job, loved the one liners

are you kidding me??
12:02 PM on 04/04/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
are you kidding me??

i just have a way with words, dont I??!!!????
11:36 AM on 04/05/07
jcarter
The Indie Host
User Info.
It only took 3 weeks for them to get signed once that hugger was on Oprah. Imagine if they'd wrote a book. :)
02:26 PM on 04/06/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
To be fair to these guys, they're excellent live, and probably have been the nicest band I've ever met. Aside from lyrical qualms, they're the type of band I'd love to see succeed.
04:11 PM on 04/06/07
TheLorax
Snow Shredder
User Info.
To be fair to these guys, they're excellent live, and probably have been the nicest band I've ever met. Aside from lyrical qualms, they're the type of band I'd love to see succeed.
These guys do kick serious ass live. As far as any comparisons to Nickelback or Creed or Staind, that is pure rubbish.

They are nothing like those bands at all, i hate those shitty bands and i think the Puppies kick ass. They are way faster and have a better overall sound than those garbage long-haired Fabios. The album's fast songs get you amped up for anything, the drummer and bassist are talented.

The slow songs have something to be desired for sure...but i didn't buy it for those songs
07:45 PM on 04/06/07
DejaMe
It's a funny thing this life.
User Info.
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this band shouldn't be mentionned with the likes of Staind, Creed and the CANADIAN rock band Nickelback who is probably the most tolerable of the three. This Cd really is worth a listen after seeing them perform live on Leno I have nothing bad to say about this impressive trio who I hope does well in the mainstream without selling out
12:37 AM on 04/07/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
These guys do kick serious ass live. As far as any comparisons to Nickelback or Creed or Staind, that is pure rubbish.

They are nothing like those bands at all, i hate those shitty bands and i think the Puppies kick ass. They are way faster and have a better overall sound than those garbage long-haired Fabios. The album's fast songs get you amped up for anything, the drummer and bassist are talented.

The slow songs have something to be desired for sure...but i didn't buy it for those songs

they sound just like all the other cock rock bands out there. And I dont understand how you can get "amped" for anything while that guy writes like a 6th grader with a dirty mouth. This album is no good.
12:39 AM on 04/07/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this band shouldn't be mentionned with the likes of Staind, Creed and the CANADIAN rock band Nickelback who is probably the most tolerable of the three. This Cd really is worth a listen after seeing them perform live on Leno I have nothing bad to say about this impressive trio who I hope does well in the mainstream without selling out

thanks, i forgot the word "North".

selling out, ha.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums