Password

Album Review

Olympia - Emergencies Album Cover

Olympia - Emergencies

Reviewed by
Olympia - Emergencies
Released April 3rd, 2007
Equal Vision Records

You know – before etching out a couple of rough drafts, which ultimately turned into what you’re reading now, I was pretty sure I wanted to substitute text with a picture of a giant turd. It’d sum up everything I need to say about Olympia’s debut full-length Emergencies with an image of a nice little pile of doo. Hell, Decoy and Pitchfork have pulled off similar stunts, so why shouldn’t AP.net be able to go on a field day once in a while? I felt, however, readers deserved more than a simple laugh at a steaming load. They deserve to know why Olympia has released an album as unsatisfying as a no-word review would be abrupt.

With members of Fairweather a part of this new project, I figured whatever Olympia put out could be comparable to If They Move…Kill Them or Lusitania; both outstanding releases and arguably some of the better albums to come out of Equal Vision. This time around they just don’t match up, though, as Emergencies is stuck in rock clichés and utter mediocrity. I forgave Fairweather for the atrocity that was the Alaska EP, but this is inexcusable. Every song on here has nothing new to say; making getting through the album a tedious process. And don’t get me wrong – I love me some big choruses with driving guitars and epic vocal leads, but when they are used as the only notable aspect to every song it kind of kills the effect after hearing one being pushed the same way for the 20th time in an album. Besides these exploited choruses, there is rarely another moment that begs for another listen. I can say I really only enjoyed one song on Emergencies; “It’s Okay to Eat the Dead (Times are Tough)”. The song came out with the band’s first batch of tracks available for the public, and despite that it still withholds any shred of interest one should have about Fairweather’s “comeback”. There are some other subtle saving graces such as the somewhat engaging, yet oddly spineless, “Emergencies” or the temperamental “M-80”. Even “Lo, My Name is Abhorred” shows signs of the magnetism I found in Fairweather so many years ago, but it still comes up slightly short in what I expect from former members of such distinguished bands.

Vocalist Phil Williams, formally of Tribunal Records mainstay Brand New Disaster, has a pretty firm grasp on his respective position in the band, though his performance in the unimpressive “Chorus! Chorus! Chorus!” and “Who’s Bad Party Time” says otherwise. He brings a basic lyrical sense to the table. Though, the recycled chants of “burn this down” and “…the end of everything” can be unfortunately found within an album already paling from unoriginality. Not necessarily a surprise, but, again, disappointing.

In retrospect, I could simply use a picture to replace my justifications of disliking Olympia’s Emergencies, but it would overshadow the fact that these guys are talented despite them refusing to show it during the course of this album. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though. Those of you who can pump your fist to just about anything will surely find something in Emergencies, but just don’t expect to remember it four months from now. Maybe less – I’ve already forgotten it. Who’s this review for again?
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57
09:21 PM on 04/03/07
axionsk801
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Actually if they move... is probably the worst record out of the bunch. Alaska EP is amazing. Lusitania is solid as well. I wouldnt say that Scott Irvine is the best person to review this record if he thought alaska was crap.

Honestly, maybe you just like poppier records. which is fine. but at least have someone who likes that kind of music review it.
09:23 PM on 04/03/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Actually if they move... is probably the worst record out of the bunch. Alaska EP is amazing. Lusitania is solid as well. I wouldnt say that Scott Irvine is the best person to review this record if he thought alaska was crap.

Honestly, maybe you just like poppier records. which is fine. but at least have someone who likes that kind of music review it.

Alaska was a muddled mess of snore. The only half-way decent song on there was "Still Paradise".

Check out my favorite bands in my profile... I wouldn't say I "just like poppier records".
09:24 PM on 04/03/07
ACA
Next Show: Balance & Composure @ NY
User Info.
Fairweather was great.., Alaska EP is awesome. Alaska is one of their best songs, hands down.

Brand New Disaster is terrible, though, so I can see where this could go wrong. I'm going to listen to it in a few minutes and let you guys know what I think, though.

-ACA
09:25 PM on 04/03/07
ramblinger
...is on the diving board
User Info.

I think they have a set of user reviews posted every now and then.

Obviously, you feel differently, so...

rebuttal?

*I'm not being a jerk, just saying that's an option for you.*
09:25 PM on 04/03/07
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I like-to-love everything Fairweather's done. Never bothered to investigate Brand New Disaster after listening to a stale MP3 clip years ago.

This isn't terrible. It's just kind of boring. If this is one of Equal Vision's few missteps of 2007 I'll certainly take it.
09:27 PM on 04/03/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
I like-to-love everything Fairweather's done. Never bothered to investigate Brand New Disaster after listening to a stale MP3 clip years ago.

This isn't terrible. It's just kind of boring. If this is one of Equal Vision's few missteps of 2007 I'll certainly take it.

Thank you! Hence a 58% which is just above average.
09:39 PM on 04/03/07
chokeychicken
A long time ago..
User Info.
i can't stop listening to this record
09:39 PM on 04/03/07
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.

Why does God let idiots like you grace Earth?
10:28 PM on 04/03/07
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ahha, fucking br00tal d00d
10:29 PM on 04/03/07
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

please...if they move is easily fairweather's best album. nothing to do with poppiness at all.
10:32 PM on 04/03/07
romantic rights
User Info.
I wish Fairweather was still around. I was hoping this album would be soooo much better.

Lusitania is epic to me.
10:53 PM on 04/03/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yezzir! a little "disappointment" goes a long way. great review.
11:06 PM on 04/03/07
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Yikes.

I've noticed that your judgement of albums is similar to mine based on your past reviews. That being said, I'm definitely not going to pick this one up. Though the first paragraph made this whole thing worth reading.
11:47 PM on 04/03/07
itodd
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i heard from somewhere that they only got signed to equal vision because it was a favor.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos