AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Artist Life, The - Impossible Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.63
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Artist Life, The - Impossible

Reviewed by: Deborah Remus (04/26/11)
The Artist Life - Impossible
Record Label: Underground Operations
Release Date: April 26th, 2011

Many bands rush to release a full-length, but not the Artist Life. The Canadian pop-punks toured across the country multiple times and released two EPs, but it’s only now that their debut full-length is seeing the light of day. Perhaps appropriately titled Impossible, the band formed all the way back in 2006 and came from the ashes of Canadian punk groups like the Fullblast, Jersey and Dreams Among Stars.

The band has lost some of their grit on this release, but looking at who produced the record, it shouldn’t be too big of a surprise. Greig Nori fronted Treble Charger back in the day, but he also managed Sum 41 until 2004 and produced many of their most popular records. Jesse Colburn played in Closet Monster and even had a stint playing in Avril Lavigne’s band. And needless to say, this adds to the pop influence. On their EPs they sounded a lot like The Loved Ones, especially considering their front man Ian Blackwood’s voice. And while they still do a little bit, Sum 41’s Half Hour of Power and All Killer No Filler come to mind a little more. The hooks could be a little stronger and the lasting power of Impossible is still questionable, but they're still there.

Girls seem to be a major inspiration on this record and are the main theme of many of the tracks. “Suicide Girl” is particularly catchy even though the lyrics are a little cheesy and the chorus will cement itself in your head. “Dear Suzanne” starts off slower, but it picks up into another fast paced pop-punk song. The only one that’s a little bit out of place is “I’m Not the Same Anymore.” Complete with acoustic guitars and orchestral arrangements, it just feels like an obligatory slow song.

But don’t write this off as a power-pop-punk record about nothing but relationships. “Working Class Revolt” is the first track and probably would have made the best lead single. It also sounds like it could have fit on their previous EPs with the angry lyrics. “Steel City” is a similar song with more lines about scraping by with the 9 to 5 lifestyle. And “Fighter Planes vs. Foreign Aid” ends the record on a serious, political note. Complete with the sing along chorus they can’t seem to leave out.

Overall this record sees The Artist Life embracing their pop roots even more, but they don’t entirely forget their punk background. They’ve already proven they can land tours with boy bands like Stereos and punk groups like Face to Face. And for that reason, it seems like anyone who’s a sucker for a hook can enjoy this band. At least a little bit.

Track Listing1. Working Class Revolt
2. Steel City
3. Impossible
4. Suicide Girl
5. Find You
6. Lost Again
7. Music Is My Misery
8. Dear Suzanne
9. I'm Not The Same Anymore
10. Teeny Was A Friend Of Mine
11. Fighter Planes Vs. Foreign Aid

Recommended If You LikeThe Loved Ones, older Sum 41, Jersey

LinksCheck out The Artist Life here.
Preview/Buy the EP at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
09:37 AM on 04/26/11
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Good to know they still have a bit of a Loved Ones vibe going on--definitely curious about this one after reading in-depth about your thoughts.

That being said? I might need to dust off my old Jersey records tonight. I forgot about that band. I remember spinning a few cuts from Generation Genocide on my college radio show back when it was released.
10:26 PM on 04/26/11
Castle Builders
Been fly since I was a young larvae
User Info.
This is exactly how I would describe the band and the poppy change of sound on this album. It was passable for me though.
10:53 AM on 04/27/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Good to know they still have a bit of a Loved Ones vibe going on--definitely curious about this one after reading in-depth about your thoughts.

That being said? I might need to dust off my old Jersey records tonight. I forgot about that band. I remember spinning a few cuts from Generation Genocide on my college radio show back when it was released.

Yeah, Jersey were cool. Their music videos used to get played all the time on the Canadian version of MTV. I remember they toured with Yellowcard and I really wanted to go, but I was too young to go to shows at that point. And they totally faded away after they broke up, that music video for "Generation Genocide" isn't even on YouTube. "Saturday" is though.

This is exactly how I would describe the band and the poppy change of sound on this album. It was passable for me though.

Cool to hear you agree with the review. And glad to see another person has been following them all along!
05:57 PM on 04/30/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Great review. I actually like this poppies sound over the EP. I only played the EP a couple times but I can see myself listening to this more. Also, I love the duet with the chick from Good and Broken
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums