AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Texas in July - One Reality Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Texas in July - One Reality

Reviewed by: johnnyferris (05/02/11)
Texas in July - One Reality
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: April 26, 2011

One Reality is the second full length from up and coming Lancaster, Pennsylvania Christian metalcore band Texas in July. After releasing an EP and a full length with CI records the band signed with popular indie label Equal Vision Records. The band headed into the studio to record the follow up to I Am in late 2010 with producer Chris “Zeuss” Harris. One Reality is the result that spawned from their time in the studio and was released by Equal Vision on April 26, 2011.

The album starts off with the instrumental “Introduction,” but it’s not until “Magnolia” does the album kick in. Right off the bat the first thing to notice is the improvement of Alex Good’s vocals. They’ve been steadily improving since Salt of the Earth, the bands first EP. The growls are now easily discernible and add a punch that seemed to be lacking in the band’s earlier material.

Along with Good’s performance, the musicianship of the band is spot on. Guitarists Christian Royer and Chris Davis are tighter than ever and the drumming of Adam Gray is superb. Unfortunately, the bass playing of Ben Witkowski remains inaudible throughout and rarely has its time to shine. The band makes full use of the “metalcore formula” of powerful guitar leads and bone jarring breakdowns. Even though it may be repetitive, but it will please fans of the genre. Breakdown enthusiasts will be pleased to hear songs such “Dying World,” “Our Freedom,” and “One Reality” as they truly make me want to punch a hole in my bedroom wall.

Two of the bigger surprises on the album reside in the tracks “No Greater Love” and “May.” The former features bands most melodic work to date. Although there is no clean singing, Witkowski does spoken word-esque vocals over the verses while piano is heard over the drumming of Gray. It’s a nice change of pace for the band, as one would not expect this to come from a heavy sound. Following “No Greater Love” is the instrumental “May.” Resembling the acoustic title track from I Am, “May” resonates as a more developed sound. Featuring the full sound of the band, it acts as the peaceful bridge between the more melodic half of the album to the more brutal side.

Witkowski’s lyrics on the album display themes of Christianity and self betterment. In “1000 Lies” Good screams out “These are the voices in your heart. Nothing is less than what you make it.” A message of staying true to yourself and believing in yourself seems to seep throughout the record. Although it’s not a new concept it’s still refreshing too hear.

As the album closes with the title track, the progression that this band has made can clearly be seen. Given the title of August Burns Red copy-cat band since the start, TIJ has proven that they have what it takes to be a band that can stand on its own and not have to rely on such comparisons. Texas in July is poised to take to take their metalcore to the world, with many successful tours already under their belts (including this year’s Take Action). Texas in July has shown the potential, now it’s up to them to truly build off of this and make something of it.

Recommended If You LikeMetalcore; August Burns Red; This Or The Apocolypse

myspace.com/texasinjuly

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:59 AM on 05/10/11
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
Quote:
Given the title of August Burns Red copy-cat band since the start, TIJ has proven that they have what it takes to be a band that can stand on its own and not have to rely on such comparisons.

I always considered them heavily influenced by ABR, but not in a bad way, per se. But they could also stand to be a bit more original. Good review, I definitely plan on giving it half a listen at least.
10:09 AM on 05/10/11
LAX_BRO
User Info.
This review is spot on. Nice work johnnyferris.
11:07 AM on 05/10/11
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
My first review so I would gladly take any constructive criticism.
11:12 AM on 05/10/11
johnnyferris
User Info.
I always considered them heavily influenced by ABR, but not in a bad way, per se. But they could also stand to be a bit more original. Good review, I definitely plan on giving it half a listen at least.
The influence is there, but it's less prevalent than in their previous material. I think we'll see more and more of their originality with future releases.
12:32 PM on 05/10/11
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
The influence is there, but it's less prevalent than in their previous material. I think we'll see more and more of their originality with future releases.
Yeah, I seem to remember whatever streams I heard weren't AS reeking of ABR as I Am.
10:43 AM on 05/17/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
My first review so I would gladly take any constructive criticism.
The record label informed me that Witkowski did the lyrics and spoken word parts, so I changed that in your review.

Be sure to catch their drummer, Adam, on Jay Leno tonight! http://www.equalvision.com/news/show/648
10:56 AM on 05/17/11
johnnyferris
User Info.
The record label informed me that Witkowski did the lyrics and spoken word parts, so I changed that in your review.

Be sure to catch their drummer, Adam, on Jay Leno tonight! http://www.equalvision.com/news/show/648
Thanks! I'll be watching tonight. Good to see that Adam is getting the exposure he deserves.
09:34 PM on 05/30/12
mica182
all time low rules.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i saw these guys live, not really knowing who they were, and i walked out of the venue really interested in them. they put on a great show, and i want to hear more. :)
10:06 PM on 05/30/12
johnnyferris
User Info.
i saw these guys live, not really knowing who they were, and i walked out of the venue really interested in them. they put on a great show, and i want to hear more. :)
They're currently recording a followup to this album!
10:39 PM on 05/30/12
mica182
all time low rules.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They're currently recording a followup to this album!

sweet! :D
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums