AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Ataris News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Chat: The Ataris

Posted by - 07:52 PM on 05/03/11
EDIT: The chat is now over. Thanks again to Kris for hanging out and answering questions!

Kris Roe of The Ataris will be chatting in this thread at approximately 7 p.m. PST/10 p.m. EST. He'll be taking questions about the band's upcoming Paper + Plastick release The Graveyard of the Atlantic, their first full-length album in four years. Also, they just so happen to be the first band our very own Jason Tate ever saw live. So feel free to jump in and say hi, because it's sure to be a good time!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 139
07:56 PM on 05/03/11
JJW319
last.fm/user/JJW319
User Info.
sweet!

Anything different on the new record? Any new influences/styles to be incorporated? Or just getting back to that classic pop punk sound?
07:57 PM on 05/03/11
spiffa0
The Low-Cal Calzone Zone
User Info.
Tour plans anytime soon?
07:57 PM on 05/03/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
What do you guys think is your best album?
08:00 PM on 05/03/11
MarquisInSpades
User Info.
I know it's not 10 PM EST yet, and I know this sounds cliche...

but I heard "San Dimas High School Football Rules" back in middle school in my friend's room and was floored. And that was the start of me listening to this genre of music and I can't thank you enough for that.
08:00 PM on 05/03/11
AaronMarsh
Copeland / Aaron
User Info.
What up Kris. I'm looking forward to the new jams. Mad Respect. That is all.
08:01 PM on 05/03/11
BigAl
Here, have a sword.
User Info.
Did you ever want to call your band The Nintendos?
08:01 PM on 05/03/11
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Hey so I barely listen to you guys anymore, but when I was like 15 there was a summer where So Long Astoria was pretty much my life. Thanks for that.
08:02 PM on 05/03/11
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
Hey Kris, just wanted to ask what motivates you to write?
08:02 PM on 05/03/11
honkytonk
Fedoras, limit 1 per group.
User Info.
Hey Kris,
My question to you is, how do you feel about "Welcome The Night" now that it's been out for a few years? I've read that you're not really satisfied with the album, and in the two times I've seen you guys live, you haven't played any songs from it. I know the album gets its share of shit, but I'm pretty fond of it to be honest. So, if what I read is true, what don't you like about it?
08:03 PM on 05/03/11
TheAtarisKRIS
The Ataris / Kris Roe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sweet!

Anything different on the new record? Any new influences/styles to be incorporated? Or just getting back to that classic pop punk sound?
Hi. Thanks for the question. Happy to be here. I feel our new album is still a solid step forward yet at the same time embraces the elements people always loved about The Ataris. To me, it is in the vein of The bands I grew up with... The Replacements, Decendents, Samiam, Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music... etc... yet will be embraced by people who may not know those older bands yet are a fan of some of the newer rock bands today such as Nothington, Polar Bear Club, Cheap Girls, Gasoline Heart, Measure S.A., Gaslight Anthem, Title Fight.... etc. Those bands in my eyes are all just good solid rock bands and carrying the flag for the bands that we all loved growing up yet adding their own stamp. "The Graveyard of the Atlantic" is kind of the same deal.
08:04 PM on 05/03/11
TheAtarisKRIS
The Ataris / Kris Roe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Tour plans anytime soon?
No touring with the band until the record is finished and released. The record should be out in the fall on Paper + Plastick. However I will be doing a handful of acoustic dates in the U.K. and Europe in around July - September. I just have to start booking them. Just trying to find the time to do so. Thanks.
08:04 PM on 05/03/11
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
Shen do you think The Ataris will go on a full band US tour again?
08:05 PM on 05/03/11
WesGil
Wes627
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What took so long to record the album? I saw you on tour last year and you said you had the album done but were just touring to raise money to finish the vocals
08:06 PM on 05/03/11
TheAtarisKRIS
The Ataris / Kris Roe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey so I barely listen to you guys anymore, but when I was like 15 there was a summer where So Long Astoria was pretty much my life. Thanks for that.
Thanks for listening. I feel you will dig this new album. It is my belief that this album will likely re-introduce a lot of people to this band yet at the same time offer some new elements to people who may be just discovering us for the first time. We all grow musically, I am now in my thirties. My taste in music has definitely changed, yet I will always have a great place in my heart for the music I loved growing up. Sometimes they later make records that make me re-discover them and fall in love with them all over again. One of the cool things is that while everyone is changing , I feel a lot of our old fans that may not have listened to us in a while will hear this record and realize that we all grew up and ended up full circle and at a similar place to where they also are today. That is the beauty of art and music. It is constantly changing, inspiring and re-inspiring. Take care!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos