Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 12 posts.
10:17 AM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
One complaint people have about Andy is that he acts/writes like somone decades older - I personally love his lyrics. They are equal parts compelling and tragic. They make you think and they force you to question.

thanks man. I've probably rewritten this thing about five times over the last week. I totally agree with the above statement. that's what pissed me off about the p4k review of METN.
11:38 AM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Thank you for the review! Again I find new bands by reading this. The Colour Revolt and The Snake The Cross and The Crown are amazing can't believe I never heard of em.
so stoked for Colour Revolt to get that opening slot on the TBS/Thursday tour. be sure to check out all their stuff. the earlier stuff is a little heavier, but still great.

The Snake the Cross the Crown. get everything. one of my all time favorite bands. Just beyond amazing.
11:38 AM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was going off of. But it's ironic, because if he wrote "teen angst" lyrics, Pitchfork wouldn't even touch it. That's what boggled me - what do they want from the dude? I really hope they review the album, though. Again, I enjoyed yr take....and I fucking love the Blood Bros. One of the scariest most awesome lives bands I've ever seen
you just can't win with those guys. it sucks, because they're REALLY good writers. but there's an elitist/bullshit tinge to their choices sometimes which sucks.
11:49 AM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
True to a point - most of the time I can't argue with their Best New Music picks though.
exactly, and sometimes the best new music picks are meh...that said, should have my tune-yards review up tonight/tomorrow...that album is incredible, and I didn't like her previous work at all...
12:12 PM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
lolwut?
01:20 PM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
saving this spot to post in-depth thoughts later on tonight. but i will say, i've been having to pace myself with this record, because I don't want to burn out on it haha. so good.

Do want to read, quote me later so I don't miss it.
01:24 PM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.

Haha. Album or my review?
04:51 PM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Really underwhelming record. I respect your review though, good job.

Respect. Thanks!
06:31 PM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who is disappointed with this album. I'm not saying this is a bad album by any means but it is defiantly the worst of the three. A few of the big problems I have with this album is the overkill of strings vs guitar etc. To me it feels like this is hardly Manchester's album but instead the local orchestra. It does work on a few tracks here but unfortunately in my opinion they overkill it as they use strings on pretty much every track here. Another problem i have with this album is it losses it's catchy-ness and hooks that made their last two releases stand out to me. I dunno if it's just me but does anyone else also here Andy's Weezer influences in this album at times? Which brings me to me main problem with this album is it's all over the place in terms of mood. Lyrically this album is dark, however i find the music really doesn't reflect on that all that much. You have lots of pop rock while singing about death, leaving your wife, etc and to me it just is a lot harder to feel and experience what Andy is trying to say while the music sounds like a happy Weezer song. A few good things about this album are defiantly the lyrics, which Andy has always been great at. They lyrics in my opinion are his best yet. You can also tell the band had lots of fun writing and making this record however unfortunately that reflects into the music a little too much. Anyways just my personal opinion on the album. Stand out tracks to me are : Simple Math, Virgin, Leave it alone.

I just want to say, there are so many people that bash an album/review without giving a reason or starting convo. I wish more users would do this, and I love when users like you explain your thoughts. RESPECT!!!
11:25 PM on 05/04/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
First I'd like to say that I don't quite understand when people say, "it took me a few listens" to get this record. If anything, I think it is their most immediate work, because although the songs may, tonally, sound varied, it is truly their most cohesive record. Their is a thread running through Simple Math that is more like a huge fucking lasso, roping us all in, and that is of course Andy Hull's expressive pipes. He does a lot of similar things with his voice (ending cadences with a high-pitched lilt, often using very staccato notes, etc) and since this is, for better or worse, a concept album in that it tells the story of a time in his life, it would be incorrect to say something as trite as, "There are a lot of different types of songs on Simple Math."

In fact, i don't think there's been an album compelling me to listen from beginning to end like this in a long time. But also, I think the amazing thing here, is that he has taken something so personal, that a lot of his fan base is too young to understand, and found a way to make it universal. He said in an interview, "I am not dumb enough to think people won't place their own meanings on top of mine." And it's that attitude that makes for long-lasting attachment.

But all that mumbo jumbo, in a way, is moot. Because I honestly don't feel the need to sit down and analize why I like this album. Rather, I felt this thing in my bones, as iffy as that sounds, telling me that this was what I needed. Telling me that this piece of art was something that would stick with me, and to an extent, change how I thought about certain types of rock music.

When it comes down to it, we all just want to be lucky enough to find something that makes us happy. And although it's unfair to say, "Thank goodness he went through this because look what came of it!," that's exactly how I feel. This isn't really an album to me, because albums have become disposable whether we believe so or not. This feels more like a book, more like a page-turner that requires dissections and discussions of motif and theme.

Simple Math, obviously, is not an easy album in many ways. But to me, it was the easiest album to love in a long time. Bravo to these dudes.
fuck. you just put my review to shame.
11:37 AM on 05/05/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
How many listens did it take for everyone to click? I'm through 3-4, and while it's "good," this just isn't hitting me as hard as the reviews would lead me to believe it "should."

Mean Everything to Nothing.

Brian, took me about a week. Wrote this with a solid three weeks under my ears. There's definitely a lack of instant grat like METN
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums