AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
09:14 PM on 05/07/11
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
Though not really familiar with this band I wouldn't say they're "phenomenally underrated" as they seem to have a large following and nearly every post/review/newstory I see about them has been very positive.

I guess it depends on yr definition of large following but as someone that bows at their musical alter, I don't see nearly as many people as I should kneeling next to me.

I would classify them (to use a movie term) as more of a cult classic: not many like them but the ones who do love them!
09:31 PM on 05/07/11
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who is disappointed with this album. A few of the big problems I have with this album is the overkill of strings. It does work on a few tracks here but unfortunately in my opinion they overkill it as they use strings on pretty much every track here. Another problem i have with this album is it losses it's catchy-ness and hooks that made their last two releases stand out to me.

I think that the large amount of strings is what threw me off my first listen. After that first listen, I was worried that I really might not like this album but I hit repeat and just like that ::snaps:: it clicked. As Adam and many others have said, this album is grower where the previous albums weren't to me.

My main problem with this album is it's all over the place in terms of mood. Lyrically this album is dark, however i find the music really doesn't reflect on that all that much. You have lots of pop rock while singing about death, leaving your wife, etc

I see where you're coming from on this argument but I don't agree at all. Good Old War comes to mind when dealing with the issue of catchy music under darker lyrics. Now, dark might not be the right word exactly to describe GOW's lyrics but Keith has talked about this disconnect of lyrics not matching up with the music mood-wise and I agree; you don't need dark music for dark lyrics. Now, if you look at "Virgin," I totally agree the mood of the music adds to the lyrics darkness but it's not necessary.

I'm wondering how they will pull this off live as I'm doubting they will be brining the stings with them on tour, but will be interesting to see how they will do this live

This will be interesting to see. I saw Fleet Foxes last nite (A-MAZING) and they had parts from the new album that weren't recreated exactly as they were on the album but I feel it worked perfectly fine none-the-less. I have a feeling Manchester's show will pick up live where the album left off just fine.
04:34 PM on 05/13/11
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
You know, I may be thinking of another band now that I think of it. I feel like there was a band that started with "M" that was getting all this rave attention but I think the singer was bearded and they played more indie-ish music.

Well, if Snake Cross Crown wasn't the band you were referring to, then definitely check them out!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums