Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

Rdio Coming to Verizon Wireless

Posted by: Joe DeAndrea (05/04/11)
Streaming music service Rdio has made a deal with Verizon Wireless that will allow the Rdio application on Verizon Android phones.
From the ArticleFresh off the heels of its API integration with the Echo Nest, Rdio today (May 4) unveiled a deal with Verizon Wireless to not only add the Rdio app to the mobile operator's stable of VCast apps, but also pay for their Rdio subscriptions and downloads via the Verizon billing system. The deal is limited to Verizon's Android fleet of phones, not the iPhone. Users can get a seven-day free trial, after which the $10 monthly fee kicks in.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
07:36 AM on 05/04/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
The Rdio app on the Blackberry is the best thing about the phone. If only my car wasn't from the 1800's and had an auxiliary port in it so I could listen to it there.
07:45 AM on 05/04/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
The Rdio app on the Blackberry is the best thing about the phone. If only my car wasn't from the 1800's and had an auxiliary port in it so I could listen to it there.

I take it you're familiar. I was just curious about the specifics of this service. Is it more like Pandora where you get a channel based on similar artists or do they have preset channels that run 24 hours?
07:48 AM on 05/04/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
I take it you're familiar. I was just curious about the specifics of this service. Is it more like Pandora where you get a channel based on similar artists or do they have preset channels that run 24 hours?

You add all the music yourself. It's $5 a month and you get pretty much any new releases that will typically go to Amazon/iTunes which you can play whenever you want, add to playlists, and "sync to mobile" which will put the album/song on your phone that has the application installed in a few seconds. Then if you want to put it on your iPod or something, there's a button on the same page that lets you download it for 99 cents.
07:51 AM on 05/04/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
And if you're obsessed with last.fm like I am, you can link your rdio account with the last.fm account and scrobble the songs that you listen to on your phone and computer which is cool.
07:51 AM on 05/04/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Im confused, because I already have a Rdio app on my Druid. What's the change?
07:53 AM on 05/04/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
You can download the app from Verizon's official app store and pay your rdio fee with your phone bill I guess.
07:53 AM on 05/04/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
You add all the music yourself. It's $5 a month and you get pretty much any new releases that will typically go to Amazon/iTunes which you can play whenever you want, add to playlists, and "sync to mobile" which will put the album/song on your phone that has the application installed in a few seconds. Then if you want to put it on your iPod or something, there's a button on the same page that lets you download it for 99 cents.

Thanks for the info! Seems kind of like Grooveshark in a way without the option for immediate download. Android needed something like this. It's nice you can buy it through Amazon, not just iTunes.
08:09 AM on 05/04/11
cwhit412
User Info.
You can download the app from Verizon's official app store and pay your rdio fee with your phone bill I guess.

Gotcha. That doesn't change too much for me.
08:48 AM on 05/04/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it's not so much a change, but a HUGE look at a rapidly upcoming, but young, provider. those guys at rdio are making a ton of headway in cloud music services. i'm listening to fitz & the tantrums on my macbook right now via their desktop app. and Joe's right, the blackberry app is killer. i wish they made an ipad native app as i often attach my ipad up to my stereo when i'm working around the apartment.
09:36 AM on 05/04/11
heyimnic
A pretty neat dude
User Info.
I think Rdio will overtake iTunes in the next year or so.
10:00 AM on 05/04/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
it's not so much a change, but a HUGE look at a rapidly upcoming, but young, provider. those guys at rdio are making a ton of headway in cloud music services. i'm listening to fitz & the tantrums on my macbook right now via their desktop app. and Joe's right, the blackberry app is killer. i wish they made an ipad native app as i often attach my ipad up to my stereo when i'm working around the apartment.
The Mac app is so awesome.
10:07 AM on 05/04/11
justballz
User Info.
Kinda wish Rdio had a bigger selection of music (seems likes bunch is missing) but I absolutely love having the app on my phone.

One thing that MOG had over Rdio was the "artist radio" in which was quite a bit like pandora in that it just kept playing music. It's too hard to make specific playlists for anytime I wanted to listen to a NFG song and follow it up with some random pop punk. But the MOG iPhone app was amazingly bad, in so many ways, so that's why I stuck with Rdio.

IMO, any music fan, and with an unlimited data plan should incorporate the 9.99 into their monthly phone plan. I pay about 90/month for unlimited data/texting/music streaming/minutes (with rollovers) thru AT&T...it's a steep price but I use it a helluva lot.
10:38 AM on 05/04/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Mac app is so awesome.
agreed. best thing they've done for my day-to-day use that isn't catalog-related.
11:17 AM on 05/04/11
chokeychicken
A long time ago..
User Info.
Rdio is absolutely fantastic.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music