AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Army of Me - Citizen Album Cover

Army of Me - Citizen

Reviewed by
Army Of Me - Citizen

Army Of Me is a DC-based indie-pop band who have been around for nearly ten years now. Citizen will be their very first full-length release.

Citizen begins quietly with "Perfect." Right off the bat, Vince Scheuerman's voice is spot on. He's found a way to balance having a wavering voice and still being able to convey strong emotion.

The next song, "Going Through Changes," is the album's lead single. It's always been one of my favorite Army Of Me songs. Now, there are a lot of older songs on this CD, and some people might complain that they weren't rerecorded differently, but I am glad they didn't mess with them. I really think the songs are great the way they are. "Going Through Changes" has the classic AOM song structure - slower, wordy verses, and a swelling chorus that sucks you right in.

The next two songs, "Rise" and "Meet You At The Mouth" are newer songs, one from the Rise EP and one new to this album, respectively. Both display some beautifully dark lyricism that we haven't ever quite seen from Vince:

there's a time for laughing / theres a time for weeping / there's a time for sowing / there's a time for reaping / so on your knees now / up on your feet now / the words won't come out when you're trying to speak out

"Meet You At The Mouth" also features heavy guitars (heavy by AOM standards, that is), which makes for a nice change up in sound.

"Thinking It Over" is another pretty new track, one that kind of moves forward lazily while still remaining interesting.

"Better Run" includes a piano, the first time AOM has ever recorded one to my knowledge. Vince's voice has a different effect against the sounds of the piano versus the usual guitar. There's a nice slow buildup to the introduction of other instruments into the track. Honestly, it's one of the most powerful songs we've ever heard from this band. This is how power ballads should be done.

The energy then gets stepped up with "How Long." It's interesting to hear Army Of Me play such a fast-paced song. They're good at it, but they're still better at a slower tempo. Vince sounds like he's having to try very hard to keep up with the music. So, it's a good song, but not their best.

"Walking On" and "2 Into 1" are also tracks that are good but not great. There isn't really a lot to distinguish them from a lot of their other songs.

"Back To Business" works superbly as an album closer - it's just hopeful enough to leave you feeling good at the end of the record.

Overall, this is a very solid debut LP. It's good to finally hear a large chunk of new AOM music, instead of just getting a few songs every couple of years. I wish they would experiment a little more with the structure of their songs. I'm afraid if they don't, people may lose interest in them quickly, and they have potential to be an indiepop mainstay with some of these songs.

Tracklisting:
01. Perfect
02. Going Through Changes
03. Rise
04. Meet You At The Mouth *
05. Still Believe In You *
06. Thinking It Over
07. Better Run
08. How Long
09. Walking On
10. 2 Into 1
11. Saved Your Life
12. Back To Business *

* - standout tracks

For fans of: Death Cab For Cutie, Acceptance, Copeland.

website | myspace | purevolume
This review is a user submitted review from average_jane. You can see all of average_jane's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:48 AM on 04/13/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
The lack of introduction was a bit awkward, but the rest of the review was good. I'm going to go check these guys out now, haha.
01:08 PM on 04/13/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
The lack of introduction was a bit awkward, but the rest of the review was good. I'm going to go check these guys out now, haha.

you're right, it's a bit choppy now that I reread it. Hope you like the album anyways
06:40 PM on 04/13/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
you're right, it's a bit choppy now that I reread it. Hope you like the album anyways
Eh, reviews are always choppy when you reread them. You did a good job.

And yes, I did like them. I'm thinking I should go buy this. Haha. Thanks.
05:18 PM on 08/01/07
Brit0tany4
You Want To Be Fooled
User Info.
I LOVE Army Of Me,

Vince Is Amazing.
02:54 PM on 01/13/10
seraph1214
Sing you to coma, so to speak.
User Info.
This album is still fantastic. I hope they're able to release another full length soon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos